PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tired of the mac jones hate...

I seem to remember 65,000 oversized/overserved/ruddy faced MassHoles begging for Zappe at Gillette one magical day last fall.
And then a short time later those chants turned into..."oh".

He gets at least this year. He showed promise his rookie season and then Belichick and Patricia submarined his second year. He deserves at least one year where the coaching staff isn't doing everything possible to set him up for failure.
This is his year. This season essentially decides his trajectory and his future since any decisions they make about his option will be made based on how he performs in 2023. I'm hoping for the best, so we'll see if they can put some talent around him.

I believe Zappe's record is 2-oh
Be thankful he's on the roster. For people who want to trade Mac, the better option is to let Mac sink/swim. If Mac plays well but the coaches don't feel there's enough to separate the two, at least his stock will have gone up and they'll have a chance to potentially get more value for him. But better to have these two together as long as possible for the sake of having good QB depth. Still, patience is going to be key here.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
How could anyone honestly grade Mac Jones (good or bad) after what he had to deal with this year?
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

Im real sick of the mac jones hate, im not saying he is the next coming of tom brady but idiots like felger wiggy schine cox adam jones all want lamar i quit on my team and im overated jackson... i would not want lamar for 4 first round picks and 500 million... sorry mac jones was done dirty by belichick , and he has o brien now for 2023 to prove he is good but if belichick dont improve the team then its a waste of another year... belichick is mailing his final years in , and knows he is untouchable... he is the best coach that ever walked the sidelines, but he is doing mac jones a huge diservice... this team will need alot just to get to third place let alone second ... i know still have the draft and trades that may happen .. .but lets go bill improve the team and to the mac haters give him a year at least ok...
It's so strange. They all bailed on him after just 3 games (one of which was a win) coming off a 10-win season and a playoff appearance. The talking heads harped on his final six games (or whatever it was), which Jones actually outperformed this season over the same span in spite of what he was dealing with.

The kid works hard and does all the right things, his outbursts aside. It's a critical year so whatever is going to happen will happen. But I agree, it would be nice for people to give him the benefit of the doubt and quit comparing him to Brady and the rest of the NFL elite. He is what he is, and he's a guy who can win in this league, especially with this defense. They just need guys who can get open and get points on the board.

He had 1 good game out of 4. Wins are a team stat.
Zappe, same story. Not a great player (yet), but did a lot of nice things and they won because of it. This is how they're going to have to win games until they end up with someone better hopefully falling into their laps. And as I said, they're lucky to have two guys who can play in this league.

People sort of need to just let things play out, especially this year. Mac will either have a great year, or he won't. But rooting for the latter doesn't help anyone, and that seems to be what people on the radio enjoy doing. Especially since WEEI added Adam Jones. Not a great move, albeit I understand why they did it - because irritating people = ratings. :rolleyes:

I stopped listening to eei after merloni and fauria were replaced, and christian arcand took over... everything is framed in a negative light... its just depressing to hear them whining and complaining about everything... Whats the point? they must be sponsored by Zoloft ™ or Abilify ® ... getting paid to depress the eff out of an entire region... Never listened to the hub, so meh

Last edited:
How many years do you give Mac before accepting he’s not the guy?
I've always said year 3 is key but I can't help but acknowledge that the Patriots have a bottom-5 WR/TE corps and I have sympathy for Jones not having NFL caliber players to run routes and catch the ball.

I think the storylines that everything the Patriots do is because they hate Mac Jones is worse than the Mac hate. The stupid narrative that Belichick let Meyers walk to punish Mac Jones that Felger and Mazz is pushing is an insult to everyone's intelligence.

I can't wait for the narrative if say the Pats actually traded for both Hopkins AND Jeudy. Would it be that they hate Jones so much that they are trying to give him a stacked offense?

Im real sick of the mac jones hate, im not saying he is the next coming of tom brady but idiots like felger wiggy schine cox adam jones all want lamar i quit on my team and im overated jackson...
I don't know if it is his schtick or if he really feels this way, but Wiggins has a fetish for black quarterbacks. He wanted to give Newton a 9-figure deal. We should have moved up and selected Fields instead of Jones. He wants to go all out for Lamar. etc....

Until the end of his rookie contract.
He gets at least this year. He showed promiseworry his rookie season and then Belichick and Patricia submarined his second year. He deserves at least one year where the coaching staff isn't doing everything possible to set him up for failure.
It's virtually free to give him two more shots. To stink it up badly enough with a totally different coaching staff, it will have to be bad enough to pull him and move on. Then it's just pro forma whether he's on the roster or not, if he's that bad.

I don't see that happening. I see him being goodish. Competent. What it said on the tin before last year's regression.

I do worry with him that we assume a mature QB who rolls with things not going his way, but he might not be that guy. He might carry last year with him always, and not in a "revenge fuel," TFB-injured-again-with-shoulder-chip way. Hopefully not, but it's always possible that we broke Mac (if so, he was pretty breakable).

I'd love to see success for him. I'd love to be a fly on his cranium wall to see what he's thinking as J. Meyers gets hired in LV. Oh, the story lines, right?

I stopped listening to eei after merloni and fauria were replaced, and christian arcand took over... everything is framed in a negative light... its just depressing to hear them whining and complaining about everything... Whats the point? they must be sponsored by Zoloft ™ or Abilify ® ... getting paid to depress the eff out of an entire region... Never listened to the hub, so meh

I still don't get WEEI's strategy of counterprogramming Felger with a team that includes two second rate knock offs of Felger (Jones and Arcand). When the best host on your afternoon team is Meghan "Mego" Ottolini, you know you suck.

I still don't get WEEI's strategy of counterprogramming Felger with a team that includes two second rate knock offs of Felger (Jones and Arcand). When the best host on your afternoon team is Meghan "Mego" Ottolini, you know you suck.
She is the only voice of reason on that show, and I do like her. It's just too bad she's now paired with those two. :rolleyes:

It's virtually free to give him two more shots. To stink it up badly enough with a totally different coaching staff, it will have to be bad enough to pull him and move on. Then it's just pro forma whether he's on the roster or not, if he's that bad.

I don't see that happening. I see him being goodish. Competent. What it said on the tin before last year's regression.

I do worry with him that we assume a mature QB who rolls with things not going his way, but he might not be that guy. He might carry last year with him always, and not in a "revenge fuel," TFB-injured-again-with-shoulder-chip way. Hopefully not, but it's always possible that we broke Mac (if so, he was pretty breakable).

I'd love to see success for him. I'd love to be a fly on his cranium wall to see what he's thinking as J. Meyers gets hired in LV. Oh, the story lines, right?

I still think he could be a top 10 QB. Not betting on it. But I think people focus way too much on the first half of the season last year and not his rookie season or when he played fairly well considering the situation down the stretch even though it was the point where Trent Brown totally gave up trying and working against Patricia's horrible and predictable offense.

She is the only voice of reason on that show, and I do like her. It's just too bad she's now paired with those two. :rolleyes:

I don't find her awful. I think she works better as a sidekick rather than a main show host.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back