PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tight end Shuffle: Hartsock, Maneri, Terrence Miller in; Jones, Watson, RB Houston out

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriotReign

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Asa Watson, Justin Jones, and Stephen Houston have been released. Ben Hartsock, Steve Maneri, and Terrence Miller signed. Source

I'm super disappointed to hear about Jones. He had a golden opportunity to catch on and failed to make a positive impression.

Not thrilled about the positional depth at TE.

What is mildly interesting is that they evidently feel comfortable at pass catching TE (or big tall WR) and are looking at blocking types with Hartsock and Maneri. Maneri, in particular, came into the league as an OT and has moved to TE. Remember, first play of the game on Thursday featured Canon at RT and Vollmer lining up next to Solder as a TE.

Last edited:
Who are these new guys?

Who are these new guys?

Hartsock is a former Jet and a penalty machine, likes to hold & false start. Recently been with the Panthers.

Been in the league since 2004 and has a whopping 31 receptions and the single TD.

What is mildly interesting is that they evidently feel comfortable at pass catching TE (or big tall WR) and are looking at blocking types with Hartsock and Maneri.

The optimistic view is that they feel comfortable with their pass catchers; pessimistic is that pass-catching TEs are one of the league's scarcest commodities and there just weren't any decent options. :(

Who are these new guys?

It Is What It Is >> Patriots shuffle up tight end spot, add veteran Ben Hartsock

The 34-year-old Hartsock is an 11-year veteran who is also more of a blocker than pass catcher, as he has amassed 31 catches over the course of his career. He’€™s played for the Colts (2004-06), Titans (2006-07), Falcons (2008), Jets (2009-10) and Panthers (2011-13). He was in Foxboro this spring for a workout.

As for Maneri, this would be his second stint with the Patriots — the former tackle spent the 2010 season on the New England roster. In four seasons in the NFL, he’s also played for the Chiefs and Bears — also known more as a blocker, the 6-foot-7, 280-pounder has caught six passes for 52 yards over the course of his NFL career.

Miller is a 6-foot-4, 234-pound rookie out of Arizona who was undrafted this past spring. In his career with the Wildcats, he had 95 catches for 1,117 yards and three receiving TDs.​

Comments by Mike Reiss via twitter:

Three players released (Watson, Jones, Houston) were more practice-squad considerations. Team obviously felt need for more NFL-ready experience at TE with top 3 TEs on depth chart all limited.​

That lone pass attempt to Jones on Thursday (Garropolo's first pass of the night WAS admittedly slightly behind him and low) Justin moved like Hermann Munster.

Rob Housler.... that's the name I'm waiting on. ...

I wish.. but after Ballard retiring I would be surprised if he became available. Also It would have to happen very soon, otherwise he will not be able to catch up enough to contribute...

Too bad about Jones.. he seemed to have the physique..

Tight End should have been addressed in the draft. I don't know why it wasn't especially considering there were far better UDFA options than Watson and Jones.

Released because they failed to display the "killer instinct" at TE?

Tight End should have been addressed in the draft. I don't know why it wasn't

That's easy -- it was an abominable TE draft class, and the available motley crew was drastically overdrafted.

There were a few middling options in FA who I would have liked to see here, but I can't be sorry that they didn't reach for the likes of Arthur Lynch.

He had a 38 yard reception last night. With Ballard retiring I don't think the Cardinals will be letting Housler go.

Yeah, the sad fact is that all of the buzz about Housler's availability came from outside Arizona. It's starting to like like pure wishful thinking.

That's easy -- it was an abominable TE draft class, and the available motley crew was drastically overdrafted.

There were a few middling options in FA who I would have liked to see here, but I can't be sorry that they didn't reach for the likes of Arthur Lynch.
I'm surprised we couldn't sign better UDFA options. I can understand not drafting one but there were some solid prospects that we could have signed.

Tight End should have been addressed in the draft. I don't know why it wasn't especially considering there were far better UDFA options than Watson and Jones.
Admittedly, this was a poor year for tight ends in the draft but the Patriots were not aggressive enough in free agency or
in signing top UDFAs. Jensen, Leonard, Murphy, Grimble, Duncan (Inj?), , Lyeria, Pedersen, Bayer, Navjar, , Annen, and Jacobs
were all ranked better than the top UDFA the Patriots signed.

Admittedly, this was a poor year for tight ends in the draft but the Patriots were not aggressive enough in free agency or
in signing top UDFAs. Jensen, Leonard, Murphy, Grimble, Duncan (Inj?), , Lyeria, Pedersen, Bayer, Navjar, , Annen, and Jacobs
Trey Burton and Marcel Jensen would have been ideal signings. One in line and one move.

I'm surprised we couldn't sign better UDFA options. I can understand not drafting one but there were some solid prospects that we could have signed.

That presumes that those other players actually wanted to play for the Patriots.

As an example, had the Pats not drafted Edelman, he would probably have signed with the Packers.

Duncan is still unsigned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey