PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on DeVante Parker

Is he really an improvement over Harry thus far?! I’m pulling for the guy but so far I’m not seeing much
He isn't blocking his own teammates and appears to be running the correct routes, so I'd say yeah. Extremely low bar..I know but facts are facts.

Parker and a 5th for a later 3rd, and a contract of

View attachment 45556

is absolutely not a high tier investment.

In terms of money no, not a big investment if he pays off. But Parker has pulled a Houdini disappearing act which so far makes him not even close to worth that money. What the hell happened to him? Looked great in training camp, but once the season starts suddenly can't get open or catch anything!

Trust me, I want to be excited for Parker. But he has under-delivered considering the hype he generated during training camp.

Last edited:
eehh, they traded wes welker to the patriots too back in 2007 and look how that turned out. Give him and Mac some more time its only two games into the season. It is kind of funny that early in training camp, media was talking positively about the connection that Mac had with Parker and now, not so much. "Its not as bad or good as it seems, usually somewhere in the middle"
Not really the same situation. Wes was pretty unproven. Parker more of a guy that is nearing end of his prime.

Parker is disappointing but ideally we want Thornton to beat him out for the X WR spot anyway. His play should make that change easier IMO.

Meyers, Agholor, Thornton & Bourne will be the team’s best group of WRs in terms of route running & speed since 2017. That’s not saying much but I look forward to seeing that group in action.

Parker is disappointing but ideally we want Thornton to beat him out for the X WR spot anyway. His play should make that change easier IMO.

Meyers, Agholor, Thornton & Bourne will be the team’s best group of WRs in terms of route running & speed since 2017. That’s not saying much but I look forward to seeing that group in action.
My jury hasn't come back in on Parker just yet...I think most of Parkers problems have to do with Mac. The WR can't throw it and catch it himself unless he is QB Marcus Mariota.

In terms of money no, not a big investment if he pays off. But Parker has pulled a Houdini disappearing act which so far makes him not even close to worth that money. What the hell happened to him? Looked great in training camp, but once the season starts suddenly can't get open or catch anything!

Trust me, I want to be excited for Parker. But he has undelivered considering the hype he generated during training camp.
Mac's arm has been very inconsistent I cringe when he throw those deep sideline outs good CB's sit on those if they are not thrown correctly. Mac better figure out how to Throw outside the numbers or Teams will load up on him inside. We don't have Gronk or Edelman on this Team anymore. That said I think Parker is better than what he's shown so far but again he can't throw the Football to himself.

It's pretty clear that whatever playbook we are doing, it's not easy and the average guy needs time to settle, sometimes a year. Just at look at... pretty much everybody

Then we put the "september is pre-season" thing into perspective... yeah, trying out things that Parker MIGHT be good or at least useful makes absolute sense. Afterwards, they will just use him to his strenghts, like we used to, I hope.

I think Bourne and Parker are closely related too: Bourne didnt buy in, Parker did, thusly Parker leapfrogged him, even though they are the not the same role, they are still the same position. Then TT comes in and we can try him out in these vertical routes

Last edited:
It's pretty clear that whatever playbook we are doing, it's not easy and the average guy needs time to settle, sometimes a year. Just at look at... pretty much everybody

Then we put the "september is pre-season" thing into perspective... yeah, trying out things that Parker MIGHT be good or at least useful makes absolute sense. Afterwards, they will just use him to his strenghts, like we used to, I hope.

I think Bourne and Parker are closely related too: Bourne didnt buy in, Parker did, thusly Parker leapfrogged him, even though they are the not the same role, they are still the same position. Then TT comes in and we can try him out in these vertical routes
Buy into what? A defensive coordinator calling offensive plays? Losing snaps to guys who can't get open? What exactly is he supposed to be buying?

My jury hasn't come back in on Parker just yet...I think most of Parkers problems have to do with Mac.

nicolas-cage-laughing-gif-imgur-7.gif

Buy into what? A defensive coordinator calling offensive plays? Losing snaps to guys who can't get open? What exactly is he supposed to be buying?
Team's (or Matt's idk) team discipline. By week 4 he will be used regurlaly too while Devante will fall, i think

Team's (or Matt's idk) team discipline. By week 4 he will be used regurlaly too while Devante will fall, i think
If the report is true and he was late to a meeting something around the Panthers preseason game why the hell is he still being punished a month later? I mean what are we doing here? Parker has played 109 snaps and has 1 catch for 9 yards. Bourne has played 26 snaps and has 3 catches for 57 yards. We are shooting ourselves in the foot because he may have shown up late to a meeting for a meaningless game a month ago.

If the report is true and he was late to a meeting something around the Panthers preseason game why the hell is he still being punished a month later? I mean what are we doing here? Parker has played 109 snaps and has 1 catch for 9 yards. Bourne has played 26 snaps and has 3 catches for 57 yards. We are shooting ourselves in the foot because he may have shown up late to a meeting for a meaningless game a month ago.
Don't disagree, it just the way around New England. But from what I gathered, this is the biggest tangible thing, but there were multiple reports of him being... lackadaisical? Is this the word?

In any case, I don't think we'll be seeing a WR that can't catch the ball for much longer either

My jury hasn't come back in on Parker just yet...I think most of Parkers problems have to do with Mac.

I would agree if there were more throws targeting Parker that were going askew. There's definitely a disconnect between them (or a lack of timing), but he's only been targeted 4 times despite playing the 2nd most WR snaps on the team. That doesn't indicate a Mac problem to me, but that either Parker's not open, or the scheme isn't doing a good job utilizing him (possibly both). It just feels sometimes like Mac is the problem because both interceptions Mac has thrown were targeting Parker, so there's kind of a weighted bias on them.

Mac's arm has been very inconsistent I cringe when he throw those deep sideline outs good CB's sit on those if they are not thrown correctly. Mac better figure out how to Throw outside the numbers or Teams will load up on him inside. We don't have Gronk or Edelman on this Team anymore. That said I think Parker is better than what he's shown so far but again he can't throw the Football to himself.
OK. Let's say MJ10 has a bad arm. Now what? That's not something easily cured. Arm strength can improve over time, with strength conditioning and proper throwing mechanics coaching, but it's not gonna happen overnight. Are you suggesting we go acquire a different QB?

I don't think you can give Parker such an easy out. The guy you just said had a weak arm managed to get the ball to Agholor for 110 yards and to Jakobi Meyers for 95 yards in that game. Parker meanwhile came up with a goose egg. So I just can't buy the excuse for Parker being just Mac Jones' arm. Parker just hasn't showed up in the regular season. Most of that has to be on him.

There's also Bourne's throwing punches at the Panthers guy in practice and I think a big mental lapse lining up in practice without a key piece of equipment (forget the details but BB was pissed). I mean he dug himself into a quite a hole. Miss practices and a game, and it just snowballs.

Last edited:
There's also Bourne's throwing punches at the Panthers guy in practice and I think a big mental lapse lining up in practice without a key piece of equipment (forget the details but BB was pissed). I mean he dug himself into a quite a hole. Miss practices an a game, and it just snowballs.
For whatever reason Bourne was not engaged mentally for the last part of training camp, including the preseason games. He has admitted as much himself and vowed to turn it around. He seems to be backing that up on the field. I hope this is all behind him and he continues to earn playing time.

So Agholor shows up, Meyers, as always, is solid, but yeah Parker, right?

He's nowhere. You wouldn't believe he's on the field every play. Now that said, that interception to Micah Fitzpatrick was supposed to be a Parker ball, and well, it was a Fitzpatrick ball. That said, Parker was moving pretty well, and if the ball were 5-10 yards further downfield, maybe that's the play/player you want. Then for a while he's invisible, the guy you sometimes see open underneath when Meyers is catching a ball another 10 yards downfield. Then there's another legit Parker ball, thrown well behnd him. Someone break down that Micah Fitzpatrick interception and counterfactual that motherhubbard. What's the "if only" that fixes the play -- Mac throw or Parker route-running? Seems like his faith in Parker was gone after that, and the one time he went back to him they were again out of synch (or Mac had an arm-fart.)

I kind of wonder how much is the extent of same-pageism with Parker vs. other receivers, including Bourne, who had little chance to gel with Mac.

I'd like to see Parker be what he was brought in to be, but in most cases, he's not getting separation.

So Agholor shows up, Meyers, as always, is solid, but yeah Parker, right?

He's nowhere. You wouldn't believe he's on the field every play. Now that said, that interception to Micah Fitzpatrick was supposed to be a Parker ball, and well, it was a Fitzpatrick ball. That said, Parker was moving pretty well, and if the ball were 5-10 yards further downfield, maybe that's the play/player you want. Then for a while he's invisible, the guy you sometimes see open underneath when Meyers is catching a ball another 10 yards downfield. Then there's another legit Parker ball, thrown well behnd him. Someone break down that Micah Fitzpatrick interception and counterfactual that motherhubbard. What's the "if only" that fixes the play -- Mac throw or Parker route-running? Seems like his faith in Parker was gone after that, and the one time he went back to him they were again out of synch (or Mac had an arm-fart.)

I kind of wonder how much is the extent of same-pageism with Parker vs. other receivers, including Bourne, who had little chance to gel with Mac.

I'd like to see Parker be what he was brought in to be, but in most cases, he's not getting separation.
It's looking like Mac likes to throw to Bourne, doesn't it? He always does when he's in there

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back