PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

They’re writing us off again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have no idea what the projected Jules as.

At the time the Pats drafted Edelman, Even BB said that he wasn't certain what position Edelman would play. "We'll figure it out as we go along."

worse IMO was Rob Parker's from Sept 2014

Pats win Super Bowl? No way, no how. Brady will never make it back to SB. In last 9 playoff games (not counting Denver game) 14 TDs, 12 INTs

9:30 AM - 4 Sep 2014

-------
He was so disastrously wrong. Not within an hour, like Kellerman was, but in 2014, and 2016, and even last year. Kellerman has kind of backed off. Rob Parker clings to his idiocy like a badge of honor.

Rob Parker was also on after the 2011/12 loss to the Giants guaranteeing that Brady would never, ever, ever make it back to another Super Bowl. The other analysts were rolling their eyes. The guy really, truly hates Brady with every fiber of his being.

This is interesting. @maineman209 posted about this a while ago. I believe he said the Steelers also drafted more receivers or spent more draft capital ( I don't want to hear it mr. Bacon) than the Patriots have.

So I wonder if it's teams are better or just prioritize how they spend their draft picks.
Antonio Brown was a 6th round pick.
Juju was a second.
Mike Wallace was a third.
Emmanuel Sanders was a third.
Randle El was a second.
The only receivers they invested a first round pick in (since 2000) are Santonio Holmes and Plaxico who both ended up being good players. They have had a few busts in the first 3 rounds, Limas Sweed, Sammie Coats and a few solid but not stars, Martavious Bryant and Markus Wheaton but overall I’d take that crop over the receivers we drafted.

From 2000-2017, but my count Pitt is 7-21 at drafting WRs that last longer than 3 seasons with the team. Thats a 30% success rate.

Net-net they hit more than the Pats but they draft more with greater success.

Martavis Bryant was talented but he was a moron. Miss.
Markus Wheaton was a 3rd rounder and had a couple of decent years but he flamed out. Miss
Chad Jackson, Aaron Dobson, Taylor Price, and Brandon Tate would kill to have the careers that Bryant and Wheaton have had.

At the time the Pats drafted Edelman, Even BB said that he wasn't certain what position Edelman would play. "We'll figure it out as we go along."
I believe him but he had a good idea he was going to have a shot as a receiver. How good he'd be he hadn't a clue

Is it that they can't spot wide receiver talent, or is it that BB doesn't want to put up with the selfish deva BS that comes with so many of them?

Is it that they can't spot wide receiver talent, or is it that BB doesn't want to put up with the selfish deva BS that comes with so many of them?
It’s definitely much more of the former vs the latter. It may not necessarily be that they can’t spot WR talent as much as it is that they can’t spot WR talent that works in this particular system.

As far as the idea of BB not wanting to put up with selfish diva BS, I’m sure that goes for anyone, at every possible position on the team. That said, I’d bet anything that he manages a certain level of “diva type” behavior from many of the players and has throughout his coaching career. The idea that Belichick wouldn’t want to have young talent at the position on the cheap, for 4-5 yrs of a rookie contract just because the specific position of WR tends to produce selfish players is faulty—at least in my opinion.

Ahhh yes maybe one day I too can come up with such insightful analysis as “wrong”.
It's accurate. You don't want to acknowledge the league wide high failure rate nor acknowledge the complexity of the Pats' offensive system which is why they go with vets and have only drafted 6 WRs in 18 years.

You'd rather say, " they suck and they know they suck" . Brilliant!

Last edited:
How many times is it necessary to start the same thread about how BB & Krewe do not know how to draft WR's???

Pats myopia often clouds the vision as to how much this team has accomplished. Enjoy this ride we are the envy of just about every other fan base in the NFL...

It's not worth taking a WR high. They can choose a free agent who has proven to be a professional, can demonstrate ability to learn high concepts, defer to Tom, and understand the importance of fundamentals and timing. Not worth rolling with a high pick 21 year old question mark in that department. Working with the goat is a privilege for the chosen few.

It's not worth taking a WR high. They can choose a free agent who has proven to be a professional, can demonstrate ability to learn high concepts, defer to Tom, and understand the importance of fundamentals and timing. Not worth rolling with a high pick 21 year old question mark in that department. Working with the goat is a privilege for the chosen few.
I think we may see a top 3 round pick this year, though. Aside from Berrios, the position has pretty much been ignored since Dobson/Boyce. You’ve got to keep trying. They may be able to bring in a free agent worth a damn (let’s hope so), but they’ve got to continue to throw stuff at the wall and see if something can stick.

Tate, Price, Dobson, Jackson were all higher round (top 3) picks, and Boyce went in the 4th IIRC. It’s time to address the position again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes