SOURCE:Providence Journal

SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
World Champs!
Tom Brady and the Patriots won their sixth championship on Sunday night after a tough defensive battle over the Rams.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

They’re writing us off again.

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Redman443, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Joey007

Joey007 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +15,804
    Chargers are a 12-4 team. It should be relatively split who gets picked. It’ll be a good game

• Agree Agree x 1

2. bormio

bormio In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5,518
    It should be a good game. The Chargers do a number of things well - with few glaring deficiencies. But they don’t do much really, really well. I think we can control their offense and make enough plays late to win.

3. reamer

reamer Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +12,892
    Trading for Jones didn't result in wins. In fact, they actually regressed the year they drafted him, dropping from 13 wins to 10. They then suffered through a few losing seasons before finally finishing at .500 in 2015. Since then they've made it to the Super Bowl, which clearly didn't work out for them, and then have failed to do anything of note since. I'm not sure having an all world receiver has done much for them.

Don't get me wrong; I love watching Jones, and I think he's got a legit shot at the HoF, but they gave up a lot of draft capital and don't have much to show for it.

upload_2019-1-11_12-4-31.png

Clearly Jones has been on an absolutely historic streak, but Baldwin was also very talented and went in the first round. Injuries (and possibly attitude) derailed his career. Watch some of his Pitt highlights and tell me that he didn't have incredible size, hands, and leaping ability. At 6043 and 228 pounds, he had a 42 inch vertical. He also ran in the 4.4s. It may not have been as fast as Jones, but he was still insanely gifted physically. Unfortunately, Baldwin didn't work out in the pros, so it's easy to look back and make fun of the analysis, but BB's reasoning wasn't necessarily faulty just because the results were poor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Brandon Manning

Brandon Manning Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +366
    Five ESPN analysts choose the Patriots to win. Other 4 choose LAC. I am very shocked only two picked Philly to beat NO. Eagles have the better TE, receivers, and coaching is even. Saints have been bad offensively for over a month now. I do think KC destroys Indy. That won't be close. Rams destroy Dallas.

5. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +25,943
    Who gives a **** ?

Is there a new rule coming in that yards or TDs from WR count double ? Triple if those players were drafted ?

6. 203Pat

203Pat Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,214
    I would assume anyone with half a brain. You’re fine wasting draft capital because you can just go out and pay a free agent more? It’s amazing how much of a homer you have to be to think that the Patriots have done a poor job of drafting receivers.

7. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +25,943
    I don't see how we have wasted any major draft capital at all. That is my entire point. Dobson is the only WR that would fall into that category and he was an injury bust and not necessarily a bad player.

Apart from him there were no early WRs taken for some time now but those picks used for other considerations. Also we have not paid any FA WR any substantial money. So your entire post makes absolutely zero sense. Especially because they have been an elite offense over this entire time.

8. 203Pat

203Pat Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,214
    Bill has taken 6 receivers in the first 3 rounds with the Patriots. All but Deion Branch were busts.

In 2016 we signed Hogan to a 3 yr/12 mill. Michael Thomas went in the second round in the ballpark of where we normally pick and he signed for 4 yr/5.1 mill.
    Hypothetically if Bill decided he wanted to invest in a first round WR Josh Doctson was drafted a few spots higher than we normally pick and he signed for 4 yrs/10 million.

In 2014 Brandon Lafell signed for 3 yr/9 mill. That same draft Davante Adams went in the second round and signed a 4 yr/3.9 mill deal.

In 2013 Danny Amendola signed for 5 yrs/28.5 mill. He could’ve drafted a receiver with every pick in the draft and not spent that much.
    When you decide to fill your receiver core with free agents you usually spend more and get shorter contracts. I didn’t think that needed to be spelled out but here we are.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. maust1013

maust1013 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8,114
    So that settles the Eagles or Dolts fan question, lol.