PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

These next 4 games seem winnable now.

I spent a lot of time a couple of decades ago going back and forth from NY to home so the opening post gave me Mike and the Mad Dog” flashbacks (”loss“ and “win” in Fatso’s horrible accent, Fruit Loop screeching out the “wait a second Mike”; some things you can’t “unhear” and sometimes they come back to you like the “Kars for Kids“ song).

I‘m cautiously optimistic about this stretch but none of these will be easy, including Atlanta. I think the Browns are a tough matchup for the Pats, they have a power running game and a strong and athletic D line. The Titans won’t be quite as threatening without Henry but the past two games against them haven’t been pretty. I’d be pleased with them going 3-1 for sure.

I'd argue that I don't think the Patriots have had their "just aint got it today" game yet this year.

The early losses were of the "we have no idea how to play as a team together yet" and "wow, this OL defines 'patchwork'" variety than the annual "don't feel like playing football" blowout loss against a comparable team the Patriots usually seem to have each season.

Some of that is also the coaches being fooled at least once per season when the opposing coaches (usually a BB former assistant, but not always) come in doing something TOTALLY different than they usually do; so the preparations, scout team, keys to look for on offense and defense, etc just don't match up and by the time the adjustments are made they're already in a deep hole.

This is still likely a second build year - some downs, some ups - with some "guaranteed" wins turning up losses and a couple "how could they even be in that game" wins.

On one hand, yes, we should be able to win some of those games

On the other hand, the Patriots still looked spotty in that game - fumbles, penalties, drops, missed throws, questionable coaching

One could argue we're still the same team - we beat the bad teams, but make losing plays against the good teams. The only difference is that Herbert's interception was a pick 6, meanwhile Tua's interception in week 1 was not. Overall, the Patriots still need to improve.

Carolina has a good defense, and Cleveland's defense can play well against mediocre offenses like ours.

Mac Jones had truly his worst game - he was wildly innaccurate. Hopefully he doesn't get rattled....

To finish up - last year we beat the Jets and Ravens and were 4-5.... only to disappoint and finish 3-4.

Hopefully we don't dissapoint again.

On the other hand, the Patriots still looked spotty in that game - fumbles, penalties, drops, missed throws, questionable coaching

One could argue we're still the same team - we beat the bad teams, but make losing plays against the good teams. The only difference is that Herbert's interception was a pick 6, meanwhile Tua's interception in week 1 was not. Overall, the Patriots still need to improve.

Carolina has a good defense, and Cleveland's defense can play well against mediocre offenses like ours.

Mac Jones had truly his worst game - he was wildly innaccurate. Hopefully he doesn't get rattled....

To finish up - last year we beat the Jets and Ravens and were 4-5.... only to disappoint and finish 3-4.

It’s still up in the air, yeah. The good news is the issues seem mostly fixable - protecting the ball, less killer penalties, better play calling and execution in the red zone. We’ve seen the potential on both sides. The bad news is we’re at the halfway point and are still seeing it against everyone but the jets.

If they clean it up, they are very capable of a run. But they’re also capable of being sloppy and finishing with just 8 or 9 wins.

Some of that is also the coaches being fooled at least once per season when the opposing coaches (usually a BB former assistant, but not always) come in doing something TOTALLY different than they usually do; so the preparations, scout team, keys to look for on offense and defense, etc just don't match up and by the time the adjustments are made they're already in a deep hole.

This is still likely a second build year - some downs, some ups - with some "guaranteed" wins turning up losses and a couple "how could they even be in that game" wins.
Apparently we are that team to Justin Herbert, we just played more Cover 2 than he expected and he was seeing ghosts ala Darnold.

Overall I agree, people seem to be on a high after winning a winnable game, we might want to pump the brakes a bit.

Oh and you forgot missed tackles: 75 yards on a simple running play still makes me shake my head.

Yet overall I'm a bit more confident than I was a few weeks ago. The offensive line seems to be stabilizing. We often seem we can run at will. The passing game has some flashes. Other teams seem to be not as formidable as I thought they were earlier in the season.

It's a bit better than what I expected, which was a pure rebuilding season.

Pats right now have the a look of a team with a few promising pieces here and there and a year or so away from contention - if they learn to stop shooting themselves in the foot.

That's not what they were a year ago. At this point in the 2020 season it was clear they stunk and probably going to get worse as the season went on, and they did.

They are not a bad team this year. Not a playoff team yet IMO but there's reason for hope.

Last edited:
8-4 and the Bills will start to hear footsteps. I don't think we're there yet.
Yeah but I am not sure the Pats can beat the bills. I mean anyone can beat anyone, but not sure that one is a great matchup for us. for some reason the chargers do not play well vs the patriots. Curious to see a pretty mediocre panthers team this weekend.

I would argue and say there is no team on the schedule now that we can't compete with..perhaps Buffalo away, but we've competed with every team we've played so far, don't know why that game would be any different if we don't turn the ball over.

At this point of the season and looking at our schedule, I don't see any reason why this team can't win 10 games and make the playoffs. Get on the train everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would argue and say there is no team on the schedule now that we can't compete with..perhaps Buffalo away, but we've competed with every team we've played so far, don't know why that game would be any different if we don't turn the ball over.

At this point of the season and looking at our schedule, I don't see any reason why this team can't win 10 games and make the playoffs. Get on the train everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Becuase they still have consistency issues. Which is what teams that are rebuilding have. You will get a great game and then all of the sudden you lose to carolina and you are scratching your head. Its that old thinking that when you win you never think you will lose and when you lose, you think you will never win again. I unlike others was not really surprised about the chargers. The chargers just got destroyed by the ravens before the bye. 34-6, they are very hit or miss more than any team in the league. Still very young. I mean I believe all teams can win if they dont turn the ball over. So that goes without saying. I was a little surprised Mac didnt play better, he will need to in other games for us to win.

Yeah but I am not sure the Pats can beat the bills. I mean anyone can beat anyone, but not sure that one is a great matchup for us. for some reason the chargers do not play well vs the patriots. Curious to see a pretty mediocre panthers team this weekend.

The Bills are what we used to be. Great team, great QB an attractive place for FA's and they're really looking to get that first title. I think the Pats need another really good draft and maybe two to have them really start to look at us as a threat in the division. Plus a lot of improvement from Mac but that goes without saying. Right now I think we might be what the Bills were 4 years ago. A team that may make the playoffs if all goes well - and they needed help to get in. Well coached team with a few pieces in place but not ready for prime time yet.

This season it's interesting that they play the Bills twice in 3 games this year with a bye in between. I also like that we play them in December instead of earlier. Would love to see them steal one of those if they can. Makes the path to the playoffs a lot wider if that's what we're hoping for.

The Bills are what we used to be. Great team, great QB an attractive place for FA's and they're really looking to get that first title. I think the Pats need another really good draft and maybe two to have them really start to look at us as a threat in the division. Plus a lot of improvement from Mac but that goes without saying. Right now I think we might be what the Bills were 4 years ago. A team that may make the playoffs if all goes well - and they needed help to get in. Well coached team with a few pieces in place but not ready for prime time yet.

This season it's interesting that they play the Bills twice in 3 games this year with a bye in between. I also like that we play them in December instead of earlier. Would love to see them steal one of those if they can. Makes the path to the playoffs a lot wider if that's what we're hoping for.
I feel like that makes it harder for us. It would have been better if we played them earlier, since Josh Allen usually has some jitters in the first couple months. By December, Buffalo will probably be hot like they were last year.

So, no Ridley for the ATL game?

3-1 likely, 4-0 plausible, 2-2 not shocking. It's kinda fun to not really know - compared to the days when anything less than 4-0 was a huge dissapointment.
lol, yeah, if we didnt go 16-0 every year it was devastating. All or nothing every year. Glad its over....at least for now.

3-1 likely, 4-0 plausible, 2-2 not shocking. It's kinda fun to not really know - compared to the days when anything less than 4-0 was a huge dissapointment.

20211106_172236.gif

Pahdnuh-check?

4-0 is what we need to do and can do and will do.

What I like about the Pat’s mentality, what I always liked about it (thanks Belichick), is they never think ahead. So though we as fans like to look ahead, all they care about is that each game is a chance to get better, and the current game is all they plan for. I think McCafferty, though coming off of injury, to be reinstated from IR, Carolina obviously thinks he’s healthy enough to contribute. When healthy, he’s a beast, extremely hard to contain in the run and pass game. I wish he was missing this game, same goes for Gilmore.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back