PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Tom Brady rumor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's what hes doing then hes half assing the tank.

Theres a qb in next years draft that's gonna change some franchise.

If bill knowingly has no chance at competing legitimately I see no "victory" in grinding a 10 win season when it really only prolongs the rebuild.

The Patriots have zero chance of competing for Trevor Lawrence, so Brady or no they may as well compete for a playoff spot and lean on a league-best defense.

To me, the McCourty re-signing feels a bit odd because there just isn't a ton of cap space available now to bring Brady back.

Where I stand at the 11th hour:

The recent moves (retaining J. McCourty, re-signing D. McCourty, 2nd round tender to Adam Butler) suggest that BB isn’t willing to weaken the defense in order to surround Brady with significantly more talent. The pats stand at about $12-14 million in cap space. They could realistically get to $30 million with cuts & restructures. I’m not sure that is enough to sign Brady, acquire a WR1 via FA or trade & sign a legitimate TE.

The early signals point to an offensive rebuild while relying on the talent & leadership on defense IMO. If I’m Brady I’m not sure it’s worth getting frustrated another season with punts & inefficiencies on offense throwing to Edelman, Harry & Sanu (weaker OL).

We’ll see. Glad to be wrong

The recent moves (retaining J. McCourty, re-signing D. McCourty, 2nd round tender to Adam Butler) suggest that BB isn’t willing to weaken the defense in order to surround Brady with significantly more talent. The pats stand at about $12-14 million in cap space. They could realistically get to $30 million with cuts & restructures. I’m not sure that is enough to sign Brady, acquire a WR1 via FA or trade & sign a legitimate TE.

The early signals point to an offensive rebuild while relying on the talent & leadership on defense IMO. If I’m Brady I’m not sure it’s worth getting frustrated another season with punts & inefficiencies on offense throwing to Edelman, Harry & Sanu (weaker OL).

I don't think you are.

The Patriots have zero chance of competing for Trevor Lawrence, so Brady or no they may as well compete for a playoff spot and lean on a league-best defense.

To me, the McCourty re-signing feels a bit odd because there just isn't a ton of cap space available now to bring Brady back.
Why would it necessarily feel odd ? BB might not be like most posters - he might never have seriously considered bringing Brady back.

Paying Brady all the money in the NFL wont matter if he has no talent around him.

The days of NE adopting other teams FA and draft mistakes so Brady can fix them are gone. Brady needs stud players at 43 years old who can carry their fair share of the execution on game day. The Dorsetts, Meyers, Gordons and even Sony dont cut it.

Unless you're BB and know that Brady isn't coming back...

I wouldn’t be surprised if we make a Mariota a priority.

Unless you're BB and know that Brady isn't coming back...

That's what I meant, feels like an odd thing to do if you're still in the running for a $30m QB, especially after this year's cap went down with the new CBA.

According to that poster bill is punting the season.

So actually if they wanted to make a run for him they most certainly could.

Patriots have warned Brady that they won’t be waiting for him. If he’d wanted to return to the Patriots with better skill players, I don’t think this was the approach to take. And if he was thinking there’s a decent chance he’d return this whole time, but wanted to put on some kind of bluff, it appears he’s failed at it. If we are to believe some of the reports about his comments re: the Patriots, he’s really painted himself into a corner here. Maybe that’s what he wanted...who knows. From the surface, it looks like he misplayed his hand badly, and that seems to be Don Yee’s specialty.

Patriots have warned Brady that they won’t be waiting for him. If he’d wanted to return to the Patriots with better skill players, I don’t think this was the approach to take. And if he was thinking there’s a decent chance he’d return this whole time, but wanted to put on some kind of bluff, it appears he’s failed at it. If we are to believe some of the reports about his comments re: the Patriots, he’s really painted himself into a corner here. Maybe that’s what he wanted...who knows. From the surface, it looks like he misplayed his hand badly, and that seems to be Don Yee’s specialty.
Expecting Chargers or Raiders I can’t see Bucs

If Brady leaves its all on BB.

Bernie Kosar 2.0
Bernie Kosar 2.0 was Drew Bledsoe. That worked out pretty well. Oh, and Bernie Kosar 1.0 worked out pretty well too.

I’m very skeptical this is the time for Bernie Kosar 3.0 as Brady is still playing very well from my vantage point (Miami game was the only one that looked bad to me), but Belichick has a good track record with the prior versions so I’ll take a deep breath and hope he’s right this time too....

Bernie Kosar 2.0 was Drew Bledsoe. That worked out pretty well. Oh, and Bernie Kosar 1.0 worked out pretty well too.

I’m very skeptical this is the time for Bernie Kosar 3.0 as Brady is still playing very well from my vantage point (Miami game was the only one that looked bad to me), but Belichick has a good track record with the prior versions so I’ll take a deep breath and hope he’s right this time too....

I dont agree there.

Pats boards like KFFL and AOL fought like cats and dogs over Bledsoe. Bledsoe had plenty of non believers and I was one of them. Bledsoe was wildly inconsistent throwing a precision bomb to Glenn and the next 3 passes in the dirt. Terrible at reading defenses. A statue in the pocket and slower than Christmas. Its no surprise that his supporters would always harken back to the good times at any criticism of his erratic play.

My gut tells me he is gone. There’s too many weird things adding up.

That wouldn't make me that unhappy. I'm not sure the Pats wanted him back anyway and I'm not sure I blame them. Maybe I'm crazy but I saw mental and physical decline last season. But we'll finally see in the next day or so.

My gut tells me one team makes him a good offer and he takes it.

I think The Brady negotiations aren’t comparing Brafyv

I think Brady negotiations come down to Stidham not being a big step down in Bills eyes at minimal cap.
I don’t think Tannenhills money is involved in Bills mind

I am fine with this approach. A great defense will keep us viable. I assume we look to draft to rebuild the offense like we did in 2010 when we got Gronk and AH. And if Stidham is an above average QB than 2020 could be quite entertaining.

I don't think this was a game of cat and mouse by Brady. He knows they don't have the money to bring in the players he needs which is why he asked to be a FA in the first place. I think both sides have been operating with the understanding that the relationship is mutually over.

I dont agree there.

Pats boards like KFFL and AOL fought like cats and dogs over Bledsoe. Bledsoe had plenty of non believers and I was one of them. Bledsoe was wildly inconsistent throwing a precision bomb to Glenn and the next 3 passes in the dirt. Terrible at reading defenses. A statue in the pocket and slower than Christmas. Its no surprise that his supporters would always harken back to the good times at any criticism of his erratic play.
But don’t you remember the actual Kosar situation itself? By the time BB benched him, he sucked worse than Bledsoe in 2001. He never got another starting job again; at least Bledsoe did. The Cleveland fan base all refused to believe it though, because he was the local hero who did good and had been a good QB at a point in the last. That’s why there was such an uproar.

I do agree that the Brady case is different in that anyone who thinks he sucks right now is just insane.

I don't think this was a game of cat and mouse by Brady. He knows they don't have the money to bring in the players he needs which is why he asked to be a FA in the first place. I think both sides have been operating with the understanding that the relationship is mutually over.

I almost feel like it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Like it's easy for each side to see the other side as being already done with them at this point, so neither side takes the idea of making a deal that seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST