PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots signed WR Andrew Hawkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is nothing against Hawkins but our more pressing need is adding another linebacker capable of providing quality reps, possibly even starting. Losing Hodges to Buffalo on 1yr low risk deal kinda upsets me. Elandon Roberts is an ascending player but overall, the LB group concerns me.

irrelevant to this thread

I disagree. I think there are two offensive players safe on this team, Tom Brady and Gronk. All others are playing for their jobs and will be cut/traded if they are outplayed in the preseason.
Disagreed, because I'm sure if you got TB12 to voice his innermost thoughts he's playing for his job too. And I have faith BB would agree.

The somewhat projected “Nate Washington 2017“ signing.

DeAndrew White makes Devin Street superfluous..

DeAndrew White makes absolutely Nobody superfluous.

Devin Street >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>White.

This guy was completely misused / miscast last 2 seasons. Had concussions that ended 2015, then pulled hammy early in 2016. Lost his spot, as CLE was doing the youth movement thing, and his skill set just did not fit in with that fire-drill of an offense. He's a precise route runner WR. Terrible for CLE the last 2 seasons for several reasons: new QB every week, youth integration, schoolyard offensive style, injuries, etc.

He's perfect for NE. I just watched some of his vids at practice, and he is literally de-pantsing CB's. Give him a QB like TB, some consistency, and his true talent will shine.

I'm very excited now that I've done a little research.

For those worried about Dola or others, I really think if we have a healthy numbers crunch, he's an easy trade to make, with a little showcase in the pre season. He was a true #2 WR, but got lost in the swamp of CLE for the last 2yrs. We'll shine him up a little, get people to remember him again, and he's easily worth a 5th or a pick at least. And he's good WR insurance depth if injury strikes.

But I think he'll surprise. His skill set and mental approach are just too good a fit in NE not to excel more than expected. If he clicks with TB, wow, watch out.

Last edited:
Two great articles on the NFL journey of Andrew Hawkins.

Two of the better penned and inspirational never quit articles I've come across in a while. One thing is for sure, he's not going to go down easy or get cut without a helluva fight.

Best part from article 1. During his college pro day he added clay to his feet, and put weights in his pockets to gain 1.5" in height and 10 lbs in weight. Haha.

Coming Up Short | The Players' Tribune

Whatever It Takes | The Players' Tribune

I'm not reading anything into this WRT the 53-man roster.

Hawkins turned 31 in March. He was slated to make only $1.8M in his contract year before being cut by the Browns.

Hawkins was sent to IR for the last six weeks of 2015 after suffering his second concussion in 3 games, and his productivity was down significantly in 2016.

BTW, I haven't found any return stats for him at all, college or pro.

The Patriots signed him to a one-year, details as yet undisclosed. Despite Hawkins' public statements about turning down more money to play elsewhere, I'm guessing his deal with the Pats is close to vet minimum, and that any other offers he's received were also less than $1.8M - perhaps significantly less.

Edelman turned 31 on May 22.
Amendola turns 32 on November 2.

I'm having difficulty imagining that BB has brought yet another old WR on board with the thought that he has a legit chance to make the 53-man replacing someone else or as a 6th WR (7th, if you're counting Slater - which I don't). As another veteran OTA/Camp mentor for a rookie like Carr (or even for Mitchell), I could see it. As an extended audition for a spot on BB's speed-dial roster, I could see it. BB has done this kind of thing many times in the past.

from Reiss:

Andrew Hawkins' one-year deal with the Patriots is a minimum salary benefit pact, meaning his base salary will be $900,000, his bonus won't exceed $80,000, and his salary cap charge won't be more than $695,000.
__

plus a nice behind the scenes story:

When free-agent receiver Andrew Hawkins was deciding on whether to sign with the Patriots or four other teams last week, he had an influential voice imploring him to pick New England: His older brother, Artrell, who played 24 games (21 starts) for the franchise from 2005-2006 (including playoffs).

"I think it's awesome. If it were up to me, he would have been there when he was a restricted free agent a few years ago," Artell said, adding that he was "heavy-handed" when asked by his brother about what he should choose.

"The opportunity to play with Brady, to win, to play for arguably the greatest coach of all-time, it's just a really awesome experience. I've always said that being a part of the Patriots kind of saved my NFL experience. Not to say that I'm not appreciative or didn't enjoy playing other places, but as a kid, or when you're dreaming up playing in the NFL, it's vying for championships, it's winning. So when he was talking to me about it about a week or so ago, I was a big advocate of it."

The brothers, despite being 10 years apart, share a close bond. The connection also extends to the next generation of Hawkins playing football, as Artell's son, Aeneas, is one of the nation's top 2018 college recruits and Andrew has spent considerable time helping him.

"When I was in Foxborough, Aeneas was [age] 6-7 at the time, and he would come to the stadium with me, sit in the hot tub. Brady would take him in the weight room with him," Artrell recalled. "So he's a big Patriots fan."

Andrew Hawkins had inside info on Patriots from his older brother
__

BTW - Aeneas is playing DL . just entering college football as 4-star recruit. Maybe all this is just a prelude to the ultimate Hawkins signing .. see highlights in this article:

Ohio’s No. 1 D-tackle Aeneas Hawkins names top choices

I wonder who carries who to the weight room in 3yrs time if Aeneas comes to NE and papa Brady is still balling..

Last edited:
Pretty cool he's the brother of Artrell Hawkins, I liked that guy while he was here.

Two great articles on the NFL journey of Andrew Hawkins.

Two of the better penned and inspirational never quit articles I've come across in a while. One thing is for sure, he's not going to go down easy or get cut without a helluva fight.

Best part from article 1. During his college pro day he added clay to his feet, and put weights in his pockets to gain 1.5" in height and 10 lbs in weight. Haha.

Coming Up Short | The Players' Tribune

Whatever It Takes | The Players' Tribune

I read those articles and all I can think after is, "I want this guy on my team."

Regards,
Chris

It's to look like BB would like to use his extra cap space to have players around who would only contribute, or contribute much more in the event of injuries.
He seems to be taking this approach at QB, WR,TE,RB,CB,DE and somewhat at LB and S And OT
I expect to see these kind of signings at IOL too.

My head is spinning, trying to understand how these players could possibly all fit on a 53-man roster. Just not possible. I don't see where the cuts will come from.

If Hawkins makes the team, I think it is at the expense of a DB who plays on ST. If Hawkins steps into a role as a gunner + PR + KR, I could see him becoming a critical member of the team, and a veteran voice in the locker room.

But who's snaps is he going to take on Offense? Edelman? Amendola already rarely sees the field, as it is. Six high quality receivers deep with Slater as a 7th, and promising rookies and PS talent too... 10 players deep.

How the hell is this going to work?!? We'll have to see how things play out in TC. Maybe he's here to be disaster insurance for us at WR and a ST ace. That's what I'll tell myself, anyway.

My head is spinning, trying to understand how these players could possibly all fit on a 53-man roster. Just not possible. I don't see where the cuts will come from.
How the hell is this going to work?!? We'll have to see how things play out in TC. Maybe he's here to be disaster insurance for us at WR and a ST ace. That's what I'll tell myself, anyway.

More this year than in years past, with such a loaded roster, I can see many of these players getting picked up by other teams after being cut or hopefully getting traded for draft picks, conditional or otherwise to teams that find their receivers lacking .....

If Hawkins makes the team, I think it is at the expense of a DB who plays on ST. If Hawkins steps into a role as a gunner + PR + KR, I could see him becoming a critical member of the team, and a veteran voice in the locker room.

But who's snaps is he going to take on Offense? Edelman? Amendola already rarely sees the field, as it is. Six high quality receivers deep with Slater as a 7th, and promising rookies and PS talent too... 10 players deep.

????

Hawkins has a consistent record in returning kicks and punts in his 6 years in the NFL. He has exactly 0 returns for 0 yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes