PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots signed WR Andrew Hawkins

Status
Not open for further replies.
hold-all-these-limes.jpg

we officially have too many recievers.

I can't imagine what the end game is here except maybe Amendola's relatively small guarantee doesn't guarantee him a place on the team. There's always the chance of an out of the blue trade of a WR but it's unlikely (until it happens).

Could become a bit of a special teams player, like tyreek hill for the chiefs?
That's what I'm thinking. Cyrus the Virus didn't exactly set the world on fire in the return game. IMO, Hawkins needs to carve out a role there in order to make it.

On one hand... seems like there's just too many receivers.

On the other hand... Hawkins has always seemed like a guy who would do well in NE, and @CheekyDave 's article linked above clearly points to an intelligent player. Further, if he passed on other offers, he specifically wants to be here. I can't imagine Josh will have issues utilizing his quickness and speed.

Not sure if he's played KR before but that seems like a great spot to utilize his pure speed. 6 WRs seems like a lot, but not unheard of, and you never know if there's a surprise injury or cut.

All things considered, I really like this signing, and preseason/TC will be very fun to watch with this many quality receivers needing to get snaps.

Just trying to think of Locks for WR.. Jules, cooks, mitchill, hogan, (do we count slater?)

This is a sneaky nice signing. I respect that he turned down more money and better security for a chance to compete in an elite organization.

Interesting signing. There would appear to be zero spots open in the WR position, unless they go with only 2 TEs on the roster.

Cooks
Hogan
Edelman
Amendola
Mitchell
Slater (special teams but always listed with the WRs)

I can't imagine them going with 7 WRs.

I like the speed Hawkins brings, but man is he tiny, not the biggest of targets for Brady. Would rather one of the young UDFAs get a chance to fight for the last roster spot. I would think Carr has no shot to make the 53 now. Who knows, camp will tell a lot. I remember WRs getting signed in the offseason w/Pats and they didn't make it.

I can't imagine what the end game is here except maybe Amendola's relatively small guarantee doesn't guarantee him a place on the team. There's always the chance of an out of the blue trade of a WR but it's unlikely (until it happens).

Edelman, Cooks, Hogan and Mitchell are definite. Not counting Slater, the question is do they keep 5 or 6. 5 would seem the likely #, especially cause they have a similar situation at RB. That means Amendola or someone else. In the end, I think Amendola stays - but it could be a real camp battle. Of course injuries could always play a role. Now if the kid from NW shows out - we will have a numbers problem.

Four starting caliber RBs, six very good WRs, two very good TEs...I smell fresh legs in the post-season.

Here's hoping they limit JE and DA when they're not desperately needed. Couple of careers I'd like to see extended, right there. Same with Gronk, same with Lewis.

Cripes, talk about a loaded roster!

This is a sneaky nice signing. I respect that he turned down more money and better security for a chance to compete in an elite organization.
no doubt he is also relishing the opportunity to witness first hand how a first class organization is run--useful for his future GM aspirations.

He's very small (5' 6"), pretty quick (6.81 3-cone) and very fast (4.34 40-yd):

Andrew Hawkins - Wikipedia

So not as quick as Edelman (6.62) but much faster (4.52). Indeed Hawkins' 40 is almost identical to Cooks' (4.33).

Concerned because 8th grade granddaughter is taller than several Patriots players

Welcome to the Patriots, Mr Hawkins!

This signing makes more long term off the field sense for Hawkins than on the field sense. Clearly the WR room is filled to the brim with quality veterans and prime rookie prospects who are likely playiing for PS postions or auditioning for other teams.

That being said, there IS a need at KO returner, and James Jones proved that you can make this team being a stellar ST's guy. Haukins has some skills as a receiver, especially with a QB like Brady, who knows how to use little guys.

So why would a guiy who has 4 other offers come to the Pats. Believe me its more than coming to a winning program and winning a ring. He knows a job here is a longshot without some injury happening.

But if his goal is to become an NFL GM, what better program to get to know from the inside than the NE Patriots. What better place to develop some long term relationships that will hopefully go beyond his playing career.

For the Pats there is no such thing as too much depth so they have nothing to lose, and for Hawkins, no doubt the looks he will get here can only help him get another job even if he does eventually get cut come September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back