PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"The Patriots lost to a backup QB in the Super Bowl"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foles played better than Brady. I know that hurts to admit, but in a shootout, Foles executed better, including catching the football.
Brady broke a Superbowl record with his play, and was on his way to outscoring Foles before the strip sack. Most valuable player in that game was Brady, but you don't give that trophy to a player on the losing team.

All 2 weeks leading up to the game we all were going, myself included, “oh no way we lose to a backup, Foles was a flash in the pan, he’s gonna crap his pants.” It would be disingenuous to now go “actually he was a starting caliber QB” in order to make ourselves feel better because NONE of us believed that 8 days ago.
I always thought Foles was a formidable QB, especially with that O-line and all those weapons Philly broke the bank for.

All I know is this, if I were looking for a starting QB I wouldn’t give Nick Foles the money to be it. He had a couple of great games in the playoffs and that’s all, imo he’s a back up going forward.

All I know is this, if I were looking for a starting QB I wouldn’t give Nick Foles the money to be it. He had a couple of great games in the playoffs and that’s all, imo he’s a back up going forward.

He would instantly be better than a handful of starting QBs in this league. Just because he was a backup doesn't mean he was a BACKUP. I mean, Garoppolo might be one of the better QBs in the league right now, but if he was on NE he'd be a backup.

This loss was an indictment on the coaching staff. They really sucked. 15 years from now and I wouldn't be able to tell you who the iggles QB was.

Foles likely will never see canton but he can say I went toe to toe with the GOAT and won the game. He can tell that to his grandkids.

He would instantly be better than a handful of starting QBs in this league. Just because he was a backup doesn't mean he was a BACKUP. I mean, Garoppolo might be one of the better QBs in the league right now, but if he was on NE he'd be a backup.

I’m simply telling you what I would do. I wouldn’t pay him 15-20 million a year for 3-5 years because I still don’t believe in him. Same goes for Case Keenum. Others feel differently and some teams would do just that, but I wouldn’t.

I’m simply telling you what I would do. I wouldn’t pay him 15-20 million a year for 3-5 years because I still don’t believe in him. Same goes for Case Keenum. Others feel differently and some teams would do just that, but I wouldn’t.

Right, I think the most fascinating off season question is "What will the Jaguars do at Quarterback?"

Ideally they'd want a mid tier upgrade over Bortles and not a guy like Cousins who could break the bank (and make them cut defensive talent).

Will they stick with Bortles? Are they in the hunt for Foles? or Eli?

Brady broke a Superbowl record with his play, and was on his way to outscoring Foles before the strip sack. Most valuable player in that game was Brady, but you don't give that trophy to a player on the losing team.

Correct. You could say the same thing about Brady's 1 INT and Safety in SB 46. He would have won MVP, but he was outplayed. Manning did not throw an INT and did not take a Safety for no reason.

Stats are kinda meaningless in these discussions. Foles didn't start slow like our offense did.

Mentioned the slow start being a problem for the whole team leading up to the game.

Brady was in attack mode with urgency, but really only in the second half. Meanwhile, Foles was like that the entire time, accurate, throwing seeds from Q1 - Q4.

Our fans have a hard time believing the other QB can play a better QB role in a game on a Sunday. Brady was brilliant in the second half, but the red zone stuff and some accuracy issues early, turned out to be the difference, when comparing.

This is embarrassing damage control.

What's next?

"Everyone says we lost to the Eagles who have never won a Super Bowl. Well yeah, but they DID win championships in the pre-Super Bowl era so you can't really say we gave them their first championship"

Brady had a legendary game, the defense had a legendary awful game to a backup quarterback. The end.

Philly's D was even MORE legendary awful. Get it? Anyone seen Rex Burkhead?

Hmm.

I wonder why he wasn't used as part of a dual back attack on the very first drive? Hmm,.

Kinda funny how when we lose SBs, we always end up botching how we use the backs, huh?

The thought still makes me sick. This is all Patricia and BB. They owe us and the team an apology.

In no world do they owe you anything.

They lost a football game by a slim margin against a really good team. It happens.

Not sure if this has been posted. I’m having a hard time reading through all of this salt. The same could be said for the Eagles. They showed this masterful game plan in the Super Bowl against Bill and Matty’s Backup MLB, and OLB and a Dline with no rotation strength due to playing our backup DT’s, and lets not forget missing 2 cb’s on injured reserve. I was just as pissed as everyone else. Our game plan sucked! But it doesn’t change the fact that this Defense was decimated with injuries. Just because it performed well in the 2nd half of the season doesn’t change the fact that many of the guys out there were backups meant to play different roles. This forced solid players to play too much, and other players to play more snaps than they should’ve ever seen. Foles isn’t your run of the mill backup. The man has had success in his career. The problem with too many people is they truly believed the whole “BB defense 2 wks to plan against a backup QB” garbage they were hearing from the talking heads.

We need more talent, and it’s a good thing we’re getting some. High is coming back, Rivers will finally get to show what he flashed, I’m very hopeful for Langi (nothing I’ve read, just really wish well for the man), Calentine will be back. Wise will not be a rookie anymore. Gilmore will have another year in the system. Brown will be a in a contract year, Marquise will have more experience. Trey will hopefully be able to get more rest. This defense has a very solid foundation. A few smart FA pickups here, some good draft picks there, and we’re gonna be looking good.

Foles once threw 27 td vs 2 int...no idea what you are talking about. Under the right circumstance and against the correct bad defense (as we all saw) he can definitely play.
Some of us attempted to explain this a handful of times, but the masses turned a deaf ear.

I wonder if people will remember losing to Cutler, Foles, and (almost) Bortles this year when they bring up QB “X” and how there’s no way he can beat us next season on a week to week basis? It’s a team game.

Not sure if this has been posted. I’m having a hard time reading through all of this salt. The same could be said for the Eagles. They showed this masterful game plan in the Super Bowl against Bill and Matty’s Backup MLB, and OLB and a Dline with no rotation strength due to playing our backup DT’s, and lets not forget missing 2 cb’s on injured reserve. I was just as pissed as everyone else. Our game plan sucked! But it doesn’t change the fact that this Defense was decimated with injuries. Just because it performed well in the 2nd half of the season doesn’t change the fact that many of the guys out there were backups meant to play different roles. This forced solid players to play too much, and other players to play more snaps than they should’ve ever seen. Foles isn’t your run of the mill backup. The man has had success in his career. The problem with too many people is they truly believed the whole “BB defense 2 wks to plan against a backup QB” garbage they were hearing from the talking heads.

We need more talent, and it’s a good thing we’re getting some. High is coming back, Rivers will finally get to show what he flashed, I’m very hopeful for Langi (nothing I’ve read, just really wish well for the man), Calentine will be back. Wise will not be a rookie anymore. Gilmore will have another year in the system. Brown will be a in a contract year, Marquise will have more experience. Trey will hopefully be able to get more rest. This defense has a very solid foundation. A few smart FA pickups here, some good draft picks there, and we’re gonna be looking good.
Agree with many of your thoughts, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back