PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"The Patriots lost to a backup QB in the Super Bowl"

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's actually the exact same thing. Starter gets hurt, back up comes in.

The difference is that when the original starter got healthy he stayed on the bench as the new backup. Hence the usage of "supplanted"

Brady wasn't the backup. Brady supplanted the original starter, which is different.

So how did he supplant the starter if he wasn't the backup?

The difference is that when the original starter got healthy he stayed on the bench as the new backup. Hence the usage of "supplanted"

That's fine. I am just saying, Foles blew away any performance of Eli fraud Manning in a Super Bowl, so I am ok with the loss knowing the Eagles simply outplayed the Pats at the end of the day.

SB 42 and Sb 46 were far more gifts served up on a silver platter, IMO. And, the Ds, how they were configured, certainly did their part, while the offenses failed miserably. We couldn't even kick a FG in the 2nd half of SB 46. Ugh.

Some games trend in more higher scoring ways. Look at SB 38. Who knows, if Jon Kasay isn't a moron, we go to OT, we lose, and everyone is bashing our legendary D of that era, for allowing 32+ points in a non-offensive era, pre Goodell.

But, our fans don't get upset over the 29 points the D got lit up for, only that we won.

For one day, Foles was Carson Wentz. The back of the endzone TDs, the wheel routes, the 4th-and-one...all stellar throws. I probably missed a few other great throws he made.

He may the backup, but on 2/4 I don't think a healthy Wentz does better.

Regards,
Chris

Foles played better than Brady. I know that hurts to admit, but in a shootout, Foles executed better, including catching the football.

No he did not. Like, no no no. First, the raw numbers:

- Foles: 28-43, 373 yards, 3 td, 1 int, 106.1 rating, 1 td reception (wide open)
- Brady: 28-48, 505 yards, 3 td, 0 int, 115.4 rating, 1 fumble

A few of Brady's incomplete passes late were of the spike the ball or hail mary or desperation variety, which affected his completion percentage.

Now, how about contextualizing for the defenses these guys faced? Brady faced the #4 scoring, and #4 yardage defense. Foles faced the #5 scoring, and #29 yardage defense.

Pass defense? Philadelphia had the #9 pass defense by passer rating against (79.5). New England had the #17 pass defense by passer rating against (89.5).

So Brady was putting up better numbers against a much better defense (and pass defense) than Foles was.

The Eagles won the game and deservedly so and Foles played GREAT. Make no mistake - the guy was on point. But one of his TDs shouldn't have counted (the long TD to Clement - he was out of bounds and the refs made the complete opposite call they'd been making ALL SEASON LONG...Philly would have kicked a FG there instead), and one of their FGs came on a short field. So that's 7 points that Philly got that Foles didn't really "deserve". Then add in the 3 PATs they didn't get and Philly "should" have scored 37 points. Meanwhile, give NE the missed chip shot field goal and the PAT and Brady basically put up 37 points for them.

Foles was great. Brady was better. But the better TEAM won the Super Bowl.

Foles once threw 27 td vs 2 int...no idea what you are talking about. Under the right circumstance and against the correct bad defense (as we all saw) he can definitely play.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: sb1
It's still pretty shocking

Who is foles? I thought he was a journeyman backup..

Inconsistent seems right ...or maybe the system

Is he 2013? Or 2016?

Jury is still out imo

Is he Trent dilfer? Or brad Johnson?

Or neither?

They did lose to the Eagles backup QB. While we have to accept and deal with some shade from the Eagles and their fans over it the fans of 30 other teams need to answer for where their teams were on Super Bowl Sunday then STFD & STFU. When the Pats win the SB we celebrate. When they lose the fans of 31 other teams do. Think about that for a moment and you'll realize something they don't, it's the price that comes with greatness and the trolls would kill for it to be their teams that is great enough to inspire that level of insane envy and jealousy.
LOL, you can have to deal with "some shade" from whomever you wish. "...we..." don't. Enjoy yourself.

Foles played a great game. Good decisions and accurate throwing.
If it had been Aaron Rodgers people would be saying it was the best performance ever and crap like that. I have no idea if Foles will be a great player for a long time, but he was on that particular Sunday.

All 2 weeks leading up to the game we all were going, myself included, “oh no way we lose to a backup, Foles was a flash in the pan, he’s gonna crap his pants.” It would be disingenuous to now go “actually he was a starting caliber QB” in order to make ourselves feel better because NONE of us believed that 8 days ago.

Unfortunately it is true and embarrassing four our so called greatest coach of all time.

Eagles beat us with an amazing performance, and people trying to downplay how good the Eagles played can suck it.

This is embarrassing damage control.

What's next?

"Everyone says we lost to the Eagles who have never won a Super Bowl. Well yeah, but they DID win championships in the pre-Super Bowl era so you can't really say we gave them their first championship"

Brady had a legendary game, the defense had a legendary awful game to a backup quarterback. The end.

All 2 weeks leading up to the game we all were going, myself included, “oh no way we lose to a backup, Foles was a flash in the pan, he’s gonna crap his pants.” It would be disingenuous to now go “actually he was a starting caliber QB” in order to make ourselves feel better because NONE of us believed that 8 days ago.

I agree 100%. I think you articulated the point much better than I did. I just don't think it's worth building him up to make ourselves feel better. Yes, a backup QB beat us. We'll have to accept it. I have, he played a real good game and it's easier accepting this loss than the ones to Eli.

Why does the media forget that "back-up QB" Nick Foles was 26-33 (78.8%) for 352 yds, 3 TDs, no INTs and a QB rating of 141.4 against the statistically best defense in the NFL during the NFC Championship game?

I most certainly was not among those saying these things leading up to the game. I was talking about how he had ability and in a one-game situation absolutely could have a big game.

Why does the media forget that "back-up QB" Nick Foles was 26-33 (78.8%) for 352 yds, 3 TDs, no INTs and a QB rating of 141.4 against the statistically best defense in the NFL during the NFC Championship game?

Because it was against the Vikings. The biggest NFCCG chokers ever.

See
1998: Gary Anderson missed FG
2000: lost 41-0 to the NYG
2009: Favre favred it up
2017: 38-7

You know its bad when losing 38-7 isn't even your worst choke job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents