PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official - Your Thread Will Get Merged Here If you Don't Move on from Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
RollingStoneDesign.jpg

I gotta say I think its just plain ridiculous to tell people they can't discuss a former player who was part of the unbeaten regular season and is a certain hall of famer.

This stinks of homerism. If all you want on here is koolaid chuggers please put a sign up on the way in so we get that. This is the sort of thing that will turn people off the site. Its been the best Patriots messageboard for quite a while now but this thing and the SMY thing are not good.
I missed anyone saying you can't.
Ian created a thread to merge all threads on that topic into. Whats the big deal. I swear people around here would complain about anything.

I dont agree.
To say that you can watch a game on TV and determine what the coverages are consistently is lying.
Teams play a significantly higher amount of zone against us than man, so how can Welker be facing the no 1 corner as a rule?

Just a wee bit contradictory here.

Look, if we dont fumble the KO and if Gronk doesnt fumble inside the 5, we may well have taken a 21-20 lead in the 4th quarter.
The problem with the offense last week was turnovers. Without them we may be sitting here at 7-1. Instead people need to convince themselves the walls are caving in.

No one is talking about last week, there is a BIG disparity in offense from first FOUR weeks to second FOUR weeks. Call it luck or strictly defense if you want, but most people don't buy that.

I dont agree.
To say that you can watch a game on TV and determine what the coverages are consistently is lying.
Teams play a significantly higher amount of zone against us than man, so how can Welker be facing the no 1 corner as a rule?

Look, if we dont fumble the KO and if Gronk doesnt fumble inside the 5, we may well have taken a 21-20 lead in the 4th quarter.
The problem with the offense last week was turnovers. Without them we may be sitting here at 7-1. Instead people need to convince themselves the walls are caving in.

If, if, if. Look I'm not specifically talking about the Browns game. In fact I think the Browns are for real now that they have found a decent QB which has been the big problem for them all along.

I'm not saying either that this team is done or anything like that. I just think that there is a huge difference since Moss left and its all down to teams not being stretched by his presence. The guy is tall and fast, if teams leave it one on one all the time then they will pay for it. With Tate, well the guy is not that tall and if you have a guy that can match him for pace then you have a good chance of shutting him down one on one.

I have no idea how this season will pan out now. I was confident that this team would go 12-4 and be serious contenders this year but without a deep threat I'm not so sure. See the thing is that we know that Branch can do it but the guy has had a lot of injuries over the last couple of years. You gotta factor him in for games but if he doesn't make it for a game there is a huge hole in the offense.

There is no depth at WR is the main problem from what I can see. I'm looking at Welker and then who? And injury prone Branch, an injury prone Edelman and an unproven Tate. And after that it just gets real bad. Hernandez has been great for us it has to be said.

Last edited:
OT: Moss stats last 16 games

Since last year's Colts game, which was almost exactly one year ago in Week 10, here are Moss' statistics.

Regular season- 16 games

48 catches
712 yards
11 touchdowns

100-yard games- ZERO

2010 longest play from scrimmage- 37 yards

I'm starting to think this was less about attitude and more about talent. The TDs are still good, but even these are starting to become rare.

Re: OT: Moss stats last 16 games

Fine to think and but before you ink, please read Ian's request on having all Moss thoughts/threads/comments under a single thread that he created.

Fine to think and but before you ink, please read Ian's request on having all Moss thoughts/threads/comments under a single thread that he created.

Oh sorry... missed that one. If a mod could move this, I would appreciate it.

Since last year's Colts game, which was almost exactly one year ago in Week 10, here are Moss' statistics.

Regular season- 16 games

48 catches
712 yards
11 touchdowns

100-yard games- ZERO

2010 longest play from scrimmage- 37 yards

I'm starting to think this was less about attitude and more about talent. The TDs are still good, but even these are starting to become rare.
There just reaches a point where players skills diminish. The ones that thrive as they get older find other ways to get the job done. Moss has not yet.

Thanks for the info.. I would have never knew this if a MOD moved it.. To many times threads like this are a great quick read.. Trying to find this type of information in a thread that is pages long is to time consuming..

Pats 3-1 with Randy and 6-1 post Moss. Moss has been on a tear of losing games post Patriots. I can only imagine his tragic mental state sorta like Archangel Lucifer after being thrown out of heaven because of his hubris. Heh.

Pats 3-1 with Randy and 6-1 post Moss. Moss has been on a tear of losing games post Patriots. I can only imagine his tragic mental state sorta like Archangel Lucifer after being thrown out of heaven because of his hubris. Heh.

They had to stick a camera on him during the Titans loss yesterday. Just sitting on the bench, alone and staring. It's too bad.

They had to stick a camera on him during the Titans loss yesterday. Just sitting on the bench, alone and staring. It's too bad.

Although I was never a fan of the 2007 style offense I liked Randy. In all seriousness I cannot imagine how depressed he must feel after his self inflicted wounds caused him to be cast out from Winner Heaven.

You missed two stats:

NFL Head coaches that decided to get rid of him: 2
Not including above -NFL Head coaches that decided he wasn't worth picking up off the waiver wire: 29

Well whether merged or not this probably fits here as well as anywhere...since I had his same opening thought last night as that game mercifully finally went final...

It will be interesting to see what asterisk gets applied to the Patriots' 39-26 wipeout against the Steelers. I only say that because it seems that every one of their big wins recently has come with one. You know: Brad Childress blew it. Or the Chargers put the ball on the ground. Or the Ravens aren't as good as everyone thought.

Obviously, most of those asterisks were handed out by the crowd that simply refuses to believe the Patriots can be a better team without Randy Moss. I'm sure these folks will be coming up with something after Sunday night. (Roethlisberger sucks? Steelers injuries? Fluke performance?)

For the rest of us, the facts are becoming abundantly clear. The Patriots are no frauds. Pick apart their 7-2 record as much as you like, but Sunday showed us what they are capable of. It turns out last Sunday's debacle in Cleveland was an aberration, not a harbinger. It turns out they can play defense. It turns out there's more than enough room on a football field for Tom Brady to throw the ball without Moss performing that overhyped, overrated and grotesquely cliched task: stretching a defense.

Beyond all that, Sunday showed us that the Patriots have the character and resilience that championship-caliber teams must have. It turns out they can respond to adversity. It turns out they can take coaching and handle a star quarterback getting in their face (how do you think Moss would have responded to Brady's second-quarter rant?).

Certainly, there will be some weeks ahead when the Pats struggle. They aren't running the table. The doubters will have some material to work with, no question about it. Who knows, maybe the Pats hit the skids again this Sunday against nemesis Peyton Manning.

But here's what I took from Sunday: When the bleep hits the fan, unlike last year's fragile, pouty bunch (captained by Moss), this year's squad won't use it as an excuse to get worse.

In the end this Patriots team might not be talented enough. But they'll be in it all the way. And when the season is over, win or lose, at least we'll recognize them.

At least in print the old Felger is also re-emerging. The one who saw something in the 2001 team all the naysayers mocked him for articulating. Well said.

Felger: Happy new year

But he's drawing double coverages:rolleyes:

Oh sorry... missed that one. If a mod could move this, I would appreciate it.

Yeah, be sure and do that. The people who said this offense couldn't be any good without Randy tend to be a little sensitive about the issue. Especially after last night.

But he's drawing double coverages:rolleyes:

The CBS commentators tried to chalk up Chris Johnson's TD run to Randy Moss "stretching the defense." I think we've already seen where this line of thinking fails with the Adrian Peterson evidence.

Last week is the offense sucks because they don't have Moss. This week, it is Moss is clear on the downside of his career.

Personally, I am tired of talking about Moss. I thought the talk about the offense post him leaving and the struggles because he was gone were overblown. He is gone and I am tired of talking about his skills. He is the Titans' problem or asset at this point.

Although I was never a fan of the 2007 style offense I liked Randy.

Your not a fan of the highest scoring offense in NFL history? Really? ;):confused:

As for Moss he can still get deep but it takes him sooo long these days to hit top speed

Yeah, be sure and do that. The people who said this offense couldn't be any good without Randy tend to be a little sensitive about the issue. Especially after last night.

Maybe you are too sensitive and so rashly confusing the issues at least in this particular response, but this is Ian's private forum and it bodes well for us as guests to respect his requests.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore