PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official - Your Thread Will Get Merged Here If you Don't Move on from Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Damn you Randy, and damn the Titans

Ill eat my skid marked stained shorts if hes back

And to think an asterisk gets you kicked off a thread ...

I agree the Pats are still a good team offensively and are well off without him but i can't get myself to say a team is "better" without Randy Moss, even if he is a decoy. He makes the offense better for other players, thats a fact.

Hmmm. Historically, if you look at any team Randy has been on the ppg, yardage, 1st downs, etc all increase with him on the field. Obviously with this team without him, they are doing just fine. Welker may be feeling more of a pinch but they are still scoring and moving the ball.

I just think that hes not the same player anymore and can't do all the things that this offense needs.

Last edited:

By then he'll be even slower and more useless and probably more of a headcase too. Beautiful women don't age well as they are bitter about their fading looks. Diva wide receivers are probably the same.

I hate when people say "FACT", like it is a fact. How in the world would you know? WHy not say "OPINION". It's not a fact and I think you should banish yourself from the boards for a month or two if in fact he does not sign with NE in 2011.

As to the OP, he was old and washed up. Good riddance to the prima donna. Get over it.

No, I'm not going anywhere

But its already setting up to be a classic story..everyone thinks he is done, signes back here for dirt..media and fans talk about how it was the dumbest move of BB career..and then Moss goes on to have a great season.

havent you people been paying attention to anything?

I find myself wondering if the Pats would even have won the Pittsburgh game with Randy on the roster.

Brady threw what, two deep balls all game, and completed one. It seemed like before Moss left, there were a number of deep throws called at very bad times, either because they felt like they had to keep Randy happy, or because it was just part of the gameplan with Randy on the field.

I personally think the offense is doing a better job 'protecting' the defense by being forced to drive the ball down the field, and only taking longer shots to Tate when it's the right time.

I could be way off base, but I don't think I am.

No, I'm not going anywhere

But its already setting up to be a classic story..everyone thinks he is done, signes back here for dirt..media and fans talk about how it was the dumbest move of BB career..and then Moss goes on to have a great season.

havent you people been paying attention to anything?

It's pretty obvious some of us haven't been... You and Abdul among 'em....

This team is once again about mental and physical toughness and battling through adversity. Too bad we couldn't find a way to cull the fan base similar to the way Bill has culled this team.

Maybe Moss threads should automatically be dumped into the practice squad forum. Moss is gone. The Pats are 7-2 (4-1 without Moss). Time to move on.

I find myself wondering if the Pats would even have won the Pittsburgh game with Randy on the roster.

Brady threw what, two deep balls all game, and completed one. It seemed like before Moss left, there were a number of deep throws called at very bad times, either because they felt like they had to keep Randy happy, or because it was just part of the gameplan with Randy on the field.

I personally think the offense is doing a better job 'protecting' the defense by being forced to drive the ball down the field, and only taking longer shots to Tate when it's the right time.

I could be way off base, but I don't think I am.

Well your recollection is pretty inconsistent with reality. Only in the Jets game did Moss see a lot of targets and in the Miami game he was on the field ALL game while only getting 1 single target on a fake-spike play.

Also the offense is not doing a better job "protecting" the defense as their TOP went down. So you are way off base on your points. However, this offense will be fine because the team is lead by Tom Brady.

And seriously, we really didn't need another Moss thread. 7-2 and here come the Colts! Forward march

Last edited:

******ed Thread

Its obvious that with Moss diminishing skills at a rapid pace that this team was using him as a decoy and little else anymore and are a MUCH better team without him

Damn you Abdul and damn the idea for posting this

The guy is obviously going through some sort of psychological breakdown at this moment in time. Couple that with the fact that we aren't going to pay him what he wants on top of the fact that the team doesn't seem to want him back, and I'm not sure why we're still talking about him.

I'm still predicting that he will be a member of the Patriots in 2011.

The guy is obviously going through some sort of psychological breakdown at this moment in time. Couple that with the fact that we aren't going to pay him what he wants on top of the fact that the team doesn't seem to want him back, and I'm not sure why we're still talking about him.

Because its the same guy that did this stuff.

It's pretty obvious some of us haven't been... You and Abdul among 'em....

This team is once again about mental and physical toughness and battling through adversity. Too bad we couldn't find a way to cull the fan base similar to the way Bill has culled this team.

I never said the team was better or worse with moss..I just said thats whats going to happen.

Well your recollection is pretty inconsistent with reality. Only in the Jets game did Moss see a lot of targets and in the Miami game he was on the field ALL game while only getting 1 single target on a fake-spike play.

Correct, the first game in a long time the Pats completely avoided forcing the ball to Randy at poor times... and Randy got upset. It seems to me they finally realized that this team can't waste drives that way.

Also the offense is not doing a better job "protecting" the defense as their TOP went down. So you are way off base on your points.

TOP isn't the end-all be-all to answer that question. Who knows what it would have been with Moss still on the team vs. the teams they've played since he left? Maybe it would have been even lower. Stats don't tell the whole story. And obviously the offense has needed time to gel without having Randy on the field. And I'm talking about the future of the team, not only the games they've played since he left.

I still believe what I said. I don't know whether or not the Steelers game would have gone the same way with Moss on the active roster. We all know the game was closer than the final score indicated, and it came down to a few plays here and there that could have changed the whole complexion of the game.

Correct, the first game in a long time the Pats completely avoided forcing the ball to Randy at poor times... and Randy got upset. It seems to me they finally realized that this team can't waste drives that way.

They hadn't "forced" it to him all year. The only argument is the Jets game but no one was getting open that game, it was just a total offensive failure all day.

TOP isn't the end-all be-all to answer that question. Who knows what it would have been with Moss still on the team vs. the teams they've played since he left? Maybe it would have been even lower. Stats don't tell the whole story. And obviously the offense has needed time to gel without having Randy on the field. And I'm talking about the future of the team, not only the games they've played since he left.

Stats don't tell the whole story, but they tell a hell of a lot more of the story than our memories of watching 9 games on TV.

I still believe what I said. I don't know whether or not the Steelers game would have gone the same way with Moss on the active roster. We all know the game was closer than the final score indicated, and it came down to a few plays here and there that could have changed the whole complexion of the game.

I think it's pointless to debate the uncertainty of whether any one specific game would have gone the same exact way. Clearly if you add or remove any factor to a particular event, that event changes. You can say the same things about the 3 games we won with Moss in the opposite. "Oh who knows what would have happened without Moss in those games". We don't know, but I think it's absurd to think that taking a player like Moss off the field HELPS a team. All defensive coordinators are happier to play against us without Moss. And if you believe the Patriots would have re-signed him if he cleared waivers (as was reported) then that would indicate the Patriots also agree that they are better -with- him on the field.

It's all moot at this point, the offense got a little worse but are growing and will be a better offense the 2nd half of the year than they were the first half of the year. They may have been even better with Moss but that's a pointless debate, he's gone and he's only 1 player. No one player makes or breaks this team.

If it's pointless to debate it, I'm not sure why you're arguing with me. I clearly stated that this is simply my opinion based on what I've seen this season, both from our games, and from the games Moss has played in with his 2 other teams. I'm clearly speculating, much like anyone else is when they pick an underdog to beat a favorite. Sometimes they end up being right. :)

At this point in his career, as much as defenses have to 'deal with' Randy, they also know what he is not going to do. IMO, the unpredictability the Pats have been able to gain since ceasing to have him around could also be a factor in their success moving forward.

And as much as you bely my 'memories' of watching games, the stats bear out my opinion about forcing the ball to Randy not being as successful as it used to be. I remember a specific stat related to this posted a number of times around the time of the trade.

Last edited:

No one player makes or breaks this team.

We have been pretty much in agreement on this topic except for this line.

I think if we lost Tom Brady at this point it would be catastrophic. He is not only an awesome QB but its also quite clear he is the leader of the offense. And with the bunch of receivers we have now I don't think there is anybody out there including our backup that could do the job he is doing.

I think if we lost Tom Brady at this point it would be catastrophic. He is not only an awesome QB but its also quite clear he is the leader of the offense. And with the bunch of receivers we have now I don't think there is anybody out there including our backup that could do the job he is doing.

You could argue that if TB went down Week 1, the team could realistically finish 8-8 to 11-5. That was proven in 2008. If they expectations were a SB, yes that was catastophic. But playoffs? That was very realistic.

You could argue that if TB went down now, any hopes for a SB would go down the drain.

You could argue that when WW went down vs HOU, the team went into a woa is me shell and rolled over vs BAL.

You could argue that even with WW it wouldn't have made a hill of beans worth of difference vs BAL.

Last edited:

If it's pointless to debate it, I'm not sure why you're arguing with me. I clearly stated that this is simply my opinion based on what I've seen this season, both from our games, and from the games Moss has played in with his 2 other teams. I'm clearly speculating, much like anyone else is when they pick an underdog to beat a favorite. Sometimes they end up being right. :)

I debated your notion that there were "many" deep balls called at very "bad" times when Moss was here, as well as your notion that the offense has "protected" the defense since Moss has left.

At this point in his career, as much as defenses have to 'deal with' Randy, they also know what he is not going to do. IMO, the unpredictability the Pats have been able to gain since ceasing to have him around could also be a factor in their success moving forward.

Right, except what they know he can do forces them to keep a safety deep or risk a quick score.

And as much as you bely my 'memories' of watching games, the stats bear out my opinion about forcing the ball to Randy not being as successful as it used to be. I remember a specific stat related to this posted a number of times around the time of the trade.

Moss had his share of drops this year and his catch-rate was down, but you confuse throwing to Moss with "forcing" it to Moss. They did NOT force it to Moss in 2010, aside for the Jets game but that's a different story. Even with Moss' low catch rate Brady had a 70% completion percentage, in part because Moss opened up the underneath for others.

In the long run, not having one side of the field locked down because the defense is focused on Moss may help the creativity/adaptability but that's something we'll never know for sure one way or the other.

You could argue that if TB went down Week 1, the team could realistically finish 8-8 to 11-5. That was proven in 2008. If they expectations were a SB, yes that was catastophic. But playoffs? That was very realistic.

You could argue that if TB went down now, any hopes for a SB would go down the drain.

You could argue that when WW went down vs HOU, the team went into a woa is me shell and rolled over vs BAL.

You could argue that even with WW it wouldn't have made a hill of beans worth of difference vs BAL.

You absolutely cannot argue this team would compete for a playoff spot without Tom Brady. Matt Cassel had a nice little season, but he had one of the most dominant teams in NFL history and produced a mere 11 wins against the most ridiculous schedule any team in the league faced that season.

It's a question I hope we never have to answer, but who knows what this team would do with Hoyer. They did a pretty good job with Cassel, albeit that was with McDaniels. Brady is definitely the most important player on the team but I don't think we go from SB contender to last-place team without him. And we're not guaranteed to win the SB even WITH him, so I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back