PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official "Everything OTA" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait for training camp. It's interesting comparing your own observations while attending TC to the reporters' observations.

I'd be skeptical on Boyce. Reporters last season were raving about him at TC and in reality he looked lost/couldn't get separation. Although to be fair I agreed with them that Sudfeld was looking great when I was there.

BTW, how about our 3rd team college offense?

QB: Garoppolo
RB: White, Houston, Finch
WR: The three UDFAs, Gallon
TE: Watson, Jones

Roy Finch is reported as looking good in both running and KRs.. which I'm quite excited by. :)

Ill find the quote and attribute it.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patr...vince_wilfork_extends_workout_brandon_browner
Rookie running back Roy Finch is a shifty little guy. He might make some highlight reel plays on offense and special teams during the preseason.

http://nesn.com/2014/06/patriots-otas-observations-jimmy-garoppolo-struggles-in-rainy-conditions/
Wide receiver Reggie Dunn (5-foot-9, 178 pounds) and rookie running back Roy Finch (5-foot-7, 167 pounds) are undersized, but their speed and agility are apparent every time they’re on the field on offense or special teams

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/06/new_england_patriots_otas_obse.html
Likewise, undrafted rookie running back Roy Finch has also had some nice moments. He’s very small, but he has good burst and knows how to find holes. He’s looked good returning kicks.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...g-for-the-underdog-udfa-rb-roy-finch.1110056/

Last edited:
nfl_a_revis01jr_576x324.jpg

tumblr_inline_mhgb5gB9vz1qz4rgp.gif

Roy Finch is reported as looking good in both running and KRs.. which quite excited by. :)

That's great. I love tiny guys with extreme speed/ ability to change direction. I'm still missing Danny Woodhead and I had hopes for Jeff Demps. Of course, it's easier for guys like that to look good before the real tackling starts, though.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50714/patriots-with-mike-reiss

Gary (Falls Church, VA)
Hi Mike, I don't think people should sleep on Thompkins! In a league where separation is the key, he seemed to get plenty of it when he was healthy. Does he show any limitations in OTAs?
Mike
(3:26 PM)

Gary, Thompkins looks a little bigger to me this year (not sure if there is evidence to back up that eye test), and he is a full participant in OTAs. Had one play in red-zone drills today where he couldn't get his feet down in the back of the end zone, and he took a little heat from a position coach for maybe a little bit of a lack of awareness in where he was on the field. But that one play shouldn't overshadow the overall player and I agree -- don't sleep on Thompkins. You look out on the field in these practices and he's often the one out there with Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman. That reflects how he's viewed by the coaching staff.

A 2nd year player that gets mostly 1st team reps is somehow on the bubble :rolleyes:

I think KT can make this team and be very productive. Especially with Dobson recovering and I'm still not totally confident about Boyce

Seems pretty clear to me right now Gallon is on the outside looking in. Also maybe the reason they cut Harrison is not just because he was bad/injured (there are a lot of other bad players they could cut with less upside) but also because Boyce and Thompkins both look good. They might know at this point that last spot will come down to one of them anyway.

You look out on the field in these practices and he's often the one out there with Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman. That reflects how he's viewed by the coaching staff.

A 2nd year player that gets mostly 1st team reps is somehow on the bubble :rolleyes:

Nothing against Thompkins, but I can't read anything much into those "1st team reps." With Dobson not practicing, Thompkins is simply the remaining guy with the most experience in the Pats' offense.

Nothing against Thompkins, but I can't read anything much into those "1st team reps." With Dobson not practicing, Thompkins is simply the remaining guy with the most experience in the Pats' offense.

Thompkins above Lafell in 1st team reps isn't noteworthy?

Just as a dash of reality. Coaches in the NFL are told to NEVER reach conclusions about players until after the first preseason game. Hall of Fame practice reps mean nothing.

Double down on that caution when the analysis of practice reps is coming from football sports writers.

Zuri Berry ‏@zuriberry 5h
Brandon LaFell on the learning curve: "I’m used to running a numbers system, so now I’m back to a code words, so it’s a lot."

So IMO for the first round of OTAs it really isn't noteworthy, no. They're focused on different things at this point.

The thing that I always keep in mind about OTAs is last season Ras-I Dowling, Jake Bequette, and others were all the rage. Players play differently in pads, Ras-I Dowling is once again getting a ton of hype out in New York for OTA performance, but wait till he straps on the pads.

Not really, the newer players always start lower in the depth chart early in camp. Plus Thompkins has been impressive based on reports, he added weight and looks like he is faster according to Reiss.

\
I'd be skeptical on Boyce. Reporters last season were raving about him at TC and in reality he looked lost/couldn't get separation. Although to be fair I agreed with them that Sudfeld was looking great when I was there.
I think you are confusing Boyce with someone else, last season Boyce missed all of OTAs and the beginning of camp recovering from a foot injury, he had difficulty picking up the offense as well and did not receive any praise for his performance.

I think you are confusing Boyce with someone else, last season Boyce missed all of OTAs and the beginning of camp recovering from a foot injury, he had difficulty picking up the offense as well and did not receive any praise for his performance.

I can't find most of them, but here is one example:

http://nesn.com/2013/07/josh-boyces...out-in-patriots-training-camp-practice-notes/

"
FOXBORO, Mass. — While Friday and Saturday were Aaron Dobson‘s time to shine, Josh Boyce stole the spotlight at wide receiver Sunday.
The rookie wideout showed off his precise footwork and route-running skills and even took some first-team reps. Boyce also shined in one-on-one drills against the cornerbacks. He was going against undrafted rookie Stephon Morris, but he was still beating his man at the line."

That was an observation from the third day of camp. I remember reading a good amount of buzz on him but being puzzled when I watched him myself at camp. I may be misremembering though and this article was just an anomaly.

Gary (Falls Church, VA)
Hi Mike, I don't think people should sleep on Thompkins! In a league where separation is the key, he seemed to get plenty of it when he was healthy. Does he show any limitations in OTAs?
Mike
(3:26 PM)

Gary, Thompkins looks a little bigger to me this year (not sure if there is evidence to back up that eye test), and he is a full participant in OTAs. Had one play in red-zone drills today where he couldn't get his feet down in the back of the end zone, and he took a little heat from a position coach for maybe a little bit of a lack of awareness in where he was on the field. But that one play shouldn't overshadow the overall player and I agree -- don't sleep on Thompkins. You look out on the field in these practices and he's often the one out there with Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman. That reflects how he's viewed by the coaching staff.

Well, with 5 of the 6 spots likely taken by Amendola, Edelman, LaFell, Dobson, and Slater---it's certainly reasonable to think that Thompkins will be battling it out with Boyce, Gallon, etc for that last spot.

The only reason he's seeing 1st team reps right now is because Dobson is out. EDIT: And reasons which patchick stated as well.

Thompkins caught 11 balls in the last 11-12 games last year and had many issues, so I can't see how he's not on the bubble. Just my opinion though.

I think we all hope like hell that Thompkins can step up and improve from last year. That would be great. I'd be all for KT as a depth signing who can continue to improve throughout practice and film sessions, but I'm hoping that our depth at WR has improved enough to where we wouldn't need to see him too often.

Of course, that may leave someone like Boyce out though---unless of course, they end up keeping 7 WRs, which seems rather unlikely when you assume 9 OL (especially with the rookies), and 3 QBs.

I can't find most of them, but here is one example:

http://nesn.com/2013/07/josh-boyces...out-in-patriots-training-camp-practice-notes/

"
FOXBORO, Mass. — While Friday and Saturday were Aaron Dobson‘s time to shine, Josh Boyce stole the spotlight at wide receiver Sunday.
The rookie wideout showed off his precise footwork and route-running skills and even took some first-team reps. Boyce also shined in one-on-one drills against the cornerbacks. He was going against undrafted rookie Stephon Morris, but he was still beating his man at the line."

That was an observation from the third day of camp. I remember reading a good amount of buzz on him but being puzzled when I watched him myself at camp. I may be misremembering though and this article was just an anomaly.

Might wanna check the date on he link - Late july is training camp time not OTA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes