PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official "Everything OTA" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming he watched some Florida Gator football. Halapio absolutely plays with a mean streak.
He blocks with violent intentions, has hands especially. At first, I was not thrilled with his selection, I thought he was a project but I am very happy that he is already showing promise. I think Halapio gives us what we had with Donald Thomas back in 2012, a bigger physical runner blocking guard.

I don't know how you can say that. JAG is in the EARLY stages of learning the system. Mallett has had years and pre-season game experiences. Has everyone forgotten that the great TFB was one of FOUR, not 3, not 2 QBs kept in his 1st year? You expect JAG to perform better than Tom in his 1st year? Tom only impressed BB enough to be kept as a 4th, not even beating out Bishop. Brady has recently said that it was not until his 2nd OTAs (they were longer and more intense back then) and training camp where it came together for him. He said it's tougher for rookies these days because of all the CBA restrictions to learn the system.

Facts, not wishful thinking (unless I of course am doing it)

Undrafted rookie Brian Hoyer got the backup job in '09.

Is it me who never got it, or maybe you who never got it, moosekill? This "Mallett for a high round draft pick" talk has been happening for at least 2-3 yrs now, pretty much since the day he was drafted actually.

I never saw Mallett's trade value approaching anything better than a 4th rounder. Why does that mean that "I don't get it?" I would actually think it's quite the contrary, to be honest. There's no tape, other better candidates, the fact that he's in the last year of his deal which makes for some uncertainty for a new contract amount, and let's face it....he didn't exactly stand out in a positive way here.

How do you have a clear cut answer for this to suggest that "I still don't get, and I never did?" Please elaborate. I will patiently await your explanation of why this situation was any different than any of the many other Patriot players that homers saw as bringing in a high draft pick, yet didn't. To suggest that it had anything to do with this draft etc is silly. People have been banging this drum for at least the past 2 yrs.

Most of us simply said, BB won't trade Mallett for less than a second rounder. He didn't, we were correct. Now that some hack is saying that the Cowboys might offer a 4th or 5th for Mallett, you are using that as justification that you were right. Not sure how you get that, but you seem very sure of yourself so go for it. Supposedly BB was offered a second rounder last year for him and turned that down, does that mean Mallett is now worth a 5th? Not sure, but if he has been supplanted as the #2 qb and is just dead weight he probably is. If he is the #2 and there is a big difference between him and JG, then probably BB won't trade him for less than a high pick again. But at the time of the draft BB had no real first hand knowledge of how good JG would be, which made the value of Mallett probably more valuable to BB.
Time will tell

QB-Brady-Garopollo
RB-Ridley-Vereen (3D RB)-Bolden-White
FB-Develin
X-WR-Dobson-LaFell-Thompkins-Slater (ST)
Z-WR-Edelman (PR)-Amendola-Boyce (KR)
TE-Gronkowski-Hoomanawanui
LT-Solder
LG-Mankins-Kline
OC-Connolly-Stork
RG-Cannon-Halapio
RT-Vollmer-Fleming
LE-Ninkovich-Bequette
DT-Kelly-Easley-Chr Jones
NT-Wilfork-Siliga
RE-Cha Jones-Buchanan-Moore
SLB-Hightower-Fleming
MLB-Mayo-Beauharnais
WLB-Collins-Anderson
LCB-Revis-Ryan
RCB-Browner-Dennard-Arrington
SAF-McCourty-Thomas
SAF-Harmon-Wilson-Ebner (ST)
K-Gostkowski
P-Allen
LS-Ott
PUP-Armstead-W Smith-Watson
PS-Finch-Houston-Gallon-Swanson-Davis-J Jones-Cave-Gordon
Why do you have Smith on PUP when he just said his knee was 100%?

Rollover for next year. They've got quite a few guys to lock up in the near future, and that's without considering any outside free agents. A few million dollars isn't insignificant if it's the difference between Revis staying or going, for example.

This is 100% correct/ Not just rollover though. I am hoping we use the money to rework Revise THIS year around mid-way. That extras 2.5M would certainly be helpful.

This is 100% correct/ Not just rollover though. I am hoping we use the money to rework Revise THIS year around mid-way. That extras 2.5M would certainly be helpful.

Agreed. I'd rather not see Revis go into free agency next year. By all reports I saw after we signed him, the team (again, reportedly) has every intention of sitting down with him during the season to try to iron out a long term deal.

No disrespect intended, but I think you are meaning to respond to someone else. I have been an adocate of Mallett's worth to this team, which has been exactly why I never expected them to trade them. I never believed for a second that we'd have traded away our only backup prior to seeing if JG would be able to even pick up the system.

As a matter of fact, I constantly reminded everyone that it was very unlikely that Belichick wouldn't be keeping 3 QBs, unless our new guy (who ended up being JG) looked great in camp. Even then, I don't see how that supports your argument that Mallett is worth a high draft pick?

To be completely honest---I have no idea what your comments have to do with stating my belief that Ryan Mallett isn't worth anything higher than a 4th round pick. Like I said, I think you are confusing me with someone else.

Sorry about that.

I don't know how you can say that. JAG is in the EARLY stages of learning the system. Mallett has had years and pre-season game experiences. Has everyone forgotten that the great TFB was one of FOUR, not 3, not 2 QBs kept in his 1st year? You expect JAG to perform better than Tom in his 1st year? Tom only impressed BB enough to be kept as a 4th, not even beating out Bishop. Brady has recently said that it was not until his 2nd OTAs (they were longer and more intense back then) and training camp where it came together for him. He said it's tougher for rookies these days because of all the CBA restrictions to learn the system.

Facts, not wishful thinking (unless I of course am doing it)

I didn't say I expect Jimmy to play as good as Brady in his first year, I don't expect either one of the to come in and pull a Matt Cassel, if Brady goes down, I don't see 2008 all over again, there aren't 2 potential HoF wide receivers, a dominant offensive line, and a (known) top 5 defense (we're all just hopeful right now, we don't know for sure) there to help carry the team to 11 wins. No disrespect to Cassel either, but he won 7 fewer games going from one of the hardest schedules in the NFL in 2007 to the easiest in 2008.

Brady goes down the season is basically over either way. I want the guy who is going to be on the team for the next 4 or more years getting the reps in that scenario, not the guy walking away after this season. They're both most likely going to pilot us to a relatively equal number of wins, probably between 8-10.

I didn't say I expect Jimmy to play as good as Brady in his first year, I don't expect either one of the to come in and pull a Matt Cassel, if Brady goes down, I don't see 2008 all over again, there aren't 2 potential HoF wide receivers, a dominant offensive line, and a (known) top 5 defense (we're all just hopeful right now, we don't know for sure) there to help carry the team to 11 wins. No disrespect to Cassel either, but he won 7 fewer games going from one of the hardest schedules in the NFL in 2007 to the easiest in 2008.

Brady goes down the season is basically over either way. I want the guy who is going to be on the team for the next 4 or more years getting the reps in that scenario, not the guy walking away after this season. They're both most likely going to pilot us to a relatively equal number of wins, probably between 8-10.

It is far more common to lose a starter QB for 2-4 games, than for a season. Brady has been defying the odds for a long time.

I think this edition of the team is a lot stronger then that aging and slowing squad that Cassell piloted.

Otherwise BB would NOT have torn it all down that offseason.

I think this edition of the team is a lot stronger then that aging and slowing squad that Cassell piloted.

Otherwise BB would NOT have torn it all down that offseason.

Surely you're talking about 2009. 2008-09 was not an exceptionally huge transition.

Agreed. I'd rather not see Revis go into free agency next year. By all reports I saw after we signed him, the team (again, reportedly) has every intention of sitting down with him during the season to try to iron out a long term deal.

Right now i would be surprised if he walked after this year. Going to ANOTHER team after another 1 year stint won't look so good..

I for one am SO into THIS year that next year is off my radar screen
Who here has a guarantee that he/she will even be here next year?

I for one am SO into THIS year that next year is off my radar screen
Who here has a guarantee that he/she will even be here next year?

I do!! I do!!!

guarantee.jpg

I am really looking forward to seeing how big a jump Jamie Collins takes. Reports out of OTA's and mini camps sounds as if he has taken a big step forward.

I am really looking forward to seeing how big a jump Jamie Collins takes. Reports out of OTA's and mini camps sounds as if he has taken a big step forward.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Buchanan as well. I was high on him coming out of the draft and the reports say that he's built his body up. If he can learn to diagnose the play better, something he should be able to improve on in his second year, he could be a very viable option in the DE rotation.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Buchanan as well. I was high on him coming out of the draft and the reports say that he's built his body up. If he can learn to diagnose the play better, something he should be able to improve on in his second year, he could be a very viable option in the DE rotation.

Ian, gymrat has hijacked Kontra's account!

It would make sense to give Collins opportunities at the line the way Denver does with Miller, he is our most explosive player, and I think if you matched up 1on1 against a RT he would beat him cleanly.

Sorry about that.

No problem, my friend.

We mostly agree about Mallett, I think--with the possible exception about where we may see his trade value (in the lower odd chance that it would actually happen). I just personally feel that it's no higher than a 4th myself, and that some have overrated his potential value to other teams. As you've pointed out, I really don't believe that it was really on the table to begin with, despite so much media and fan speculation.

Of course, I could be wrong about either of these statements.

Most of us simply said, BB won't trade Mallett for less than a second rounder. He didn't, we were correct. Now that some hack is saying that the Cowboys might offer a 4th or 5th for Mallett, you are using that as justification that you were right. Not sure how you get that, but you seem very sure of yourself so go for it. Supposedly BB was offered a second rounder last year for him and turned that down, does that mean Mallett is now worth a 5th? Not sure, but if he has been supplanted as the #2 qb and is just dead weight he probably is. If he is the #2 and there is a big difference between him and JG, then probably BB won't trade him for less than a high pick again. But at the time of the draft BB had no real first hand knowledge of how good JG would be, which made the value of Mallett probably more valuable to BB.
Time will tell

I by no means, am attempting to suggest that I am not wrong a lot--like many here.

That said, I have been right about Mallett for the past couple of yrs now, so this is one instance where I can hold my head high and look down on you mere mortals ;)

In all seriousness, I have been clearly in the "Mallett not only isn't getting traded, but his value is being extremely overrated by many" camp for at least 2 years. Unfortunately, that and 5 bucks gets me a latte at Starbucks these days. As you said, only time will tell what happens, but I would highly doubt that he brings anything close to what has been suggested in terms of 2nd/3rd round picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes