PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The NFL Draft, Day 1, Round 1, thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
By Jove I think we've got our Dwight Freeney! (god willing)

One injury to one knee v. same injury to both knees.

Big difference.

We'll hear about "wanted to trade down, couldn't", or "Knew someone else would be taking him". Neither is relevant to the issue.

For a team with its two best DTs coming off major injuries, this is a needless risk.

You can't play on a bad knee the same as you can't play on two. No big difference.

Not a fan of this pick. Think we could of got him in round 2. But I absolutely hate this draft class in general, and Beli is pretty spot on when it comes to first round picks.

I am happy we we went DT even tho I am not a fan of said pick. OL in round 2 please..

That binky of yours Ward went one pick later. Almost thought he might be the pick.

Very pleased for him. Got in on Ward when he was a projected 7th rounder to UDFA. That AFC West just got a lot better with Ward, Bucannon and Donald.

Alright, 20 minutes later and I'm in love with the Easley pick. We just got an absolute stud. Relentless motor, loves football, hard worker, explosive. Thank the football gods that he had these injuries in college and fell to us. We have a stud on our hands. I am giddy.

so all the haters, would you be happy if the pats did this?

Round 1 - Marquise Lee/ASJ

Round 2 - Dominique Easely

Guess what? it could still happen:

Round 1 - Dominique Easely

Round 2 - Marquise Lee/ASJ (perhaps a trade up is needed here)

It's weird because while I agree with this line of thinking I also disagree in a way. It's also unlike BB to spend the way he did on the secondary in FA, that then created an unBB-like situation with this pick as well. Interior/increased pass rush could be all we need to make this D completely dominant. When there are only 2 guys like that in the draft you have to think about getting outside of your comfort zone with draft positioning. I didn't love Easley @ 29. But I love Easley for this team.

Was it really "unBelichick-like"? In both cases, he got a player he felt would improve the team at a price that was a relative bargain.

We will be happy to have Easley in sub packages, which we're in what 60% of the time? He is the most explosive athlete on that line day one, and that includes Chandler Jones. Not very good against the run, but who really cares, especially when we have Vince, Siliga and Kelly in the rotation? Frank Gore tore both ACLs before his NFL career began and he has had a decent career. AP tore his and then ran for 9,000 yards a few months later. An ACL is a nothing injury to come back from with today's medicine.

It's not who, it's when. That projection was written before Easley's outstanding workout -- recent writeups all say 2nd with a chance of 1st.

Been lurking the draft board quite a bit the last few months and reading a lot in general, that would explain why I hadn't seen that projection. It must be an old write up.

Belichick said there were trade discussions but didn't want to risk moving down and not getting Easley. "Thought he was the best player."

I know on that NFL.com report it says that he was a 3-4 round pick, but if you look at their final mocks that they put on the site yesterday (there were about 7 others besides Mayock's) multiple of their experts mocked him to the Patriots.

Matt Miller of Bleacher Report had him #19 on his big board and mocked him to the Pats as well.

It has been posted on here that with our various D-Lineman (Wilfork, Kelly, Jones, Siliga, Armstead, Vellano at DT and Jones, Ninkovich, Smith, Buchanon and even Bequette at DE) that roster spots could be at a premium without having to cut good players. Adding a player who has Easley's versatility and the ability to make an impact at both, will certainly be useful.

Truth is, we won't know for awhile how this works out, but there is enough out there (besides the obvious fact that BB picked him) that shows that we should be excited about this pick.

One thing to remember about Easley is that he can back up our DE's too. Played as an end a lot at Florida, albeit as a 5-tech. But he can function as a DE in our system for sure.

Links to Easley being projected 3-4 please?
Walter Football had him projected in rounds 2-3.
CBS Football had him projected in round 2.

I can't recall the others off the top of my head but ESPN was around also round that mark.

Before Easley's ACL, he was being talked about someone who could get in the top 10. heck, there were plenty who rated him ahead of Aaron Donald. If you are moaning about Easley, you are clearly not interested in pressuring the passer because that's what Easley's going to do.
It's lovely when I can't see who you are responding too. My Patsfans experience is all the more enjoyable for it.

I didn't love Easley @ 29. But I love Easley for this team.

Well said. I think we get a little too wrapped up in the fact that a late 1st is a "1st rounder." Whenever you find yourself thinking "That would have been a great pick if they had managed to trade down just a bit," then the pick is fine.

i'm not as worried about how he plays against the run. we need a pass rusher to go along with jones and ninkovich, easely is just that. They have tommy kelly, vince, hightower and mayo to stop the run.
To me, the choice signals the end of the read and react defense and for that I am happy.

Also, the kid loves to play football and has worked very hard at rehab. Those are qualities Belichick wants in his players.

You can't play on a bad knee the same as you can't play on two. No big difference.

One is an incident. Two is a trend/history.

Big difference.

Huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back