PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The loss of Blount, Bennett, and Long is going to hurt us

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not really relevant, though. Perhaps it would be if we were judging Bennett as a player, but this topic seems geared more towards whether the production from these players the Pats lost can be replaced.

It's relevant to his production but overall I think replacing him with Allen is fine. Given their strength at the skill positions I think TE 2 is going to see fewer targets this season and I don't think that would have set well with Bennett.

As I kind of have said before, I've seen winning teams before, but I've never seen a team with the intelligence and all round classiness of the 2016 team. I think frankly that was a secret to how we outperformed. I'm pessimistic we can recapture the magic.

If that's your primary concern, it's worth noting that both Blount and Bennett were seen as headaches and problem-children before coming here.

The intelligence and all round classiness was here before them. They were not the root cause of it. And it will be here after them.

As much as I liked Bennett, Long, and Blount I think Bennett and Long were suitably replaced by Allen and Ealy, but they upgraded at RB with the combination of Gillislee and Burkhead. Add to RB a fully healthy Dion Lewis and a vastly improved James White and they have the best overall RB unit in football, at least imo. They don't have a David Johnson but the unit as s whole is deep, complementary, and talented. Love this RB group.

Can't wait for your game day posts

Perhaps he can author a weekly thread entitled, "Epic Thoughts: BB's coaching flaws for week_____".

The Pats lack of speed was obvious early on in Superbowl LI, think these changes had to do with making this team faster and younger..

Would have liked to have seen a healthy Bennett, will miss his off the field personality..

If I remember correctly Long did not like his role in this defense, and wanted to move on..

Overall, I can't see how anyone can dispute this team is better than it was last year. I think that's all that matters. You can go individually and break down each position, but the bottom line is this team is better than it was last year.

Gillislee's listed at 219. That's on the big side of the distribution for NFL running backs. Arguably the best power back of this century, Marshawn Lynch, is only 215. Adrian Peterson weighs 220.

Blount's an outlier, there really isn't any way to replace him with a similar-sized back. Eddie Lacy, I suppose, or Latavius Murray come close, but both are stiffs.

Perhaps he can author a weekly thread entitled, "Epic Thoughts: BB's coaching flaws for week_____".

The Pats lack of speed was obvious early on in Superbowl LI, think these changes had to do with making this team faster and younger..

Would have liked to have seen a healthy Bennett, will miss his off the field personality..

If I remember correctly Long did not like his role in this defense, and wanted to move on..

Long was happy with his role during the regular season but didn't like being turned into a run stopper during the play offs. He wanted to be a pass rusher so he moved in. Class act, I'm glad he got a ring and wish him the best. I have no doubt he will tell teammates that NE is a great destination for anyone who wants to win.

Based on the moves this offseason, it would appear that BB disagrees with this sentiment. Otherwise, he would've kept them around. It's not like the Pats didn't have the cap space.

So if BB disagrees, then I disagree.

On to training camp.

If that's your primary concern, it's worth noting that both Blount and Bennett were seen as headaches and problem-children before coming here.

The intelligence and all round classiness was here before them. They were not the root cause of it. And it will be here after them.
The quote you replied to is the part that made me chuckle the most. K. Dog has "seen winning teams before and 2016 was the classiest and most intelligent" he's seen. Most Pats fans on here have seen winning teams before. Of the 5 Superbowl teams and they have all been classy and intelligent. I credit most of that to BB and Brady.

Long and Bennett will be missed more. Long was the other ninkovich. He was much more intelligent than chandler jones and brought balance to the line.

Bennett was playing all the time and that is huge especially since Gronk was hurt. Without Bennett, I don't know if we'd win the last SuperBowl.

But will we be ok? Most probably. We'll find a different way to win. And that's why Brady and Belichick are so great.

Dont forget Jamie Collins.

Who will cover Bennett in the Super Bowl? He is the only player I would be concerned with.

Blount in particular was a great player during his time here. His performance in 2016 was spectacular. So many times no matter how Brady or the OL was doing, get the ball to Blount and he'll bring home the TD.

Blount was also a class act off the field. He had a quiet wit to him.

Bennett I'll kind of remember for his humor. That line about how the natural prey of the falcon was the raccoon, but the natural prey of the patriot was the redcoat, was a classic.

I don't know much about Long but he seemed like a highly skilled, intelligent player. He was famously involved in the SBLI turnover.

These guys from what I saw exemplified the Patriot team philosophy. They were intelligent, funny, and their play ranged from excellent to superb.

I don't see any evidence that our new acquisitions are at the level of these three. And in the case of Blount, I feel he was underappreciated for what he did for the Patriots. He was a quiet guy who was under the shadow of the much flashier passing game. But he was a key reason for the last two rings. I'm in fact disappointed that Patriots fans don't appreciate Blount more.

As I kind of have said before, I've seen winning teams before, but I've never seen a team with the intelligence and all round classiness of the 2016 team. I think frankly that was a secret to how we outperformed. I'm pessimistic we can recapture the magic.

What a strange and foolish Post.

01 ~ Blount is a Loser who abandoned his TeamMates in PittsBurgh. And you call'm Classy??? You must be out'f your Mind. Last guy I'd pick up.

02 ~ Bennett was terrific when he was here, and proved to be yet another Case of a guy who acted like a Donkey for Years, and then became his Better Self when surrounded by our Awesomeness...But he was indeed a Donkey for many Years before, and will probably relapse, soon...And yet you describe that braying Donkey as Classy??? Seriously, Dude: Get a Clue, will ya.

03 ~ Christopher Long was a terrific Pick Up, but he's an aging Dragon ~ 34 Backer/43 End. I'd hardly describe his Loss as Soul-Crushing.

01 ~ I've never been more excited about our BackField. The Depth of Talent there, with Blount jettisoned, is phenomenal. What a lot of Fans don't understand is that Statistics are in many ways derivative. Blount's TouchDown Totals owe far more to our System than to his mediocre "Talent", and the guys we're bringing in and retaining are far more explosive and dangerous than that Slug.

02 ~ Who do you want for the next 3-4 Years, Aging, Fading Martellus Bennett or Dwayne Allen, entering the Prime of'is Career? Easy Answer.

03 ~ I would've liked to've had Long back, but I'm hardly worried about'is Loss. His Age being what it is, there are younger, more explosive Options.

To suggest that these guys collectively "exemplified" the Patriots Philosophy, and that we're somehow facing a Character Vacuum because'f their collective Defections is incredibly asinine ~ Blount and Bennett in particular.

Interesting you pick those spots. The Pats had free agents fill them of course but I will also point out that IMO if I had to list 3 non offensive line spots that I feel can be plug and play positions for free agents they would be in order RB, DL, TE.

One thing i doubt anyone is worried about is if any of these players "get it". It is just will they be as good or better? I think that is part of this that is not being discussed. How the key loses on the Pats were filled and how those spots being changed will not affect the fluidity of how the team works and if everyone is on the same page.

Logan Ryan is the one spots where losing that familiarity will have to be over come but they certainly addressed it trying to bring in the most talented guy they could there.

Its obvious KDog is an idiot and knows nothing about the game or the team or the players. What makes it worse is that he posts this rubbish and dosent have the balls to post in his own thread to try to defend his position.

Not that it was defendable. Sheer horse ****.

Overall, I can't see how anyone can dispute this team is better than it was last year. I think that's all that matters. You can go individually and break down each position, but the bottom line is this team is better than it was last year.

Yes this team is much better

Are people actually upset about LG lol and think his role can't be filled?

He wasn't this brawler power back that made a hole when there wasn't one.

I can't think of 3-4 times where he lowered his shoulder and trucked over guys. Hell Michael Floyd showed more physicality in one play than Blount did all season.

This is absolutely nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick