PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The importance of winning this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't until 2 years ago I felt we FINALLY were as well coached as back then.

I think this comment suffers from some confirmation bias. Losing both coordinators can't help, of course, but was coaching really what the team lacked during their non-championship phase? Were these same coaches to blame for the 2015 AFCCG loss in Denver? How is that loss any different than the 2006 AFCCG loss?

Even well coached, championship caliber teams need some luck. That's about all we can take from the 10 year gap.

I think losing both coordinators and brady turning 41 has its advantages. These things are adversity (or at least doubt) to overcome. What this team has always done is when adversity or doubt come in they turn it up a notch.
B.B. will be rejuvenated with new lieutenants to coach up. The closer brady comes to being an injury risk and a guy who realistically could miss a few games a year, the more B.B. knows he needs to win different ways.
At some point brady will be a great qb but no longer a guy who can carry the while team on his back. B.B. will still want to win and will formulate a different means (kind of like the end of elways career).
We may be sitting here in 2020 saying it looks like Brady’s last shot and we are going to have to go on the road for the afccg and maybe play in the wc round, but we gave the horses to do it.

All due respect... I don't see how losing both coordinators and TFB getting a year older has any upside. Yes it allows you to play the "people believe in us less than they use to card". It gives them good reason too.

The 2018 will not be as well coached as the 2017 Patriots and it will be a fairly big drop off. They will still probably be the best coached team in the league due to the HC and OL coach but make no mistake we are losing part of the advantage we had over other teams after this year. I personally will not be convinced to spin that into being a good thing.

I'm not saying they can't lose this year and win next year. I'm saying it will get harder to win every year after this year and this may be the last year they are the team that clearly should win.

That's never going to happen. It would require another GOAT QB and GOAT HC combo for that to be a possibility.

I’m sure they said the same thing about montana and walsh...

I think this comment suffers from some confirmation bias. Losing both coordinators can't help, of course, but was coaching really what the team lacked during their non-championship phase? Were these same coaches to blame for the 2015 AFCCG loss in Denver? How is that loss any different than the 2006 AFCCG loss?

Even well coached, championship caliber teams need some luck. That's about all we can take from the 10 year gap.

My comment doesn't suffer from confirmation bias. I never claimed the coaches were the only reason we won or the thing that made winning possible. I'm saying it increased the odds. It didn't mean they couldn't lose with the great coaching and it didn't mean they couldn't win without it.

All I'm saying is the coaching we had in the 2000-2004 years and the 2012-2017 years was excellent and the coaching between 2005-2011 wasn't as good.

Also speaking to 2015 in particular coaching wasn't the reason they lost but perhaps it was one of the reasons. Maybe if they had Scar to help that OL in 2015 they might have won. I don't know for sure one way or another as that is impossible to know.I would argue it would have improved their odds.

Also I think BB made some questionable coaching decisions about managing players and games which cost the Patriots home field. Maybe if he pushes his luck too much players would've got hurt and they would've been in an even worse spot but maybe they would've got to play at home as opposed to at Denver.

I think looking in hindsight it is clear the coaching could have been better in 2015 but so could have everything else. Everything else could have been worse as well.

During the non-championship phase we can't say for sure if better coaching would have put them over the hump. It certainly wouldn't have hurt though.

EVERY YEAR IS A "MUST WIN THE SB".
EVERY YEAR.
That's why they play. Not every player on the team has 1 ring, let alone several.

This is about the players.

But I like dem rings too!:D

All I'm saying is the coaching we had in the 2000-2004 years and the 2012-2017 years was excellent and the coaching between 2005-2011 wasn't as good.

I know, it's this very comment that suffers from confirmation bias.

The ten year drought had nothing to do with coaching

2005- Injuries
2006- We blew it
2007- We had our chances to seal it
2008- TB12 tears Acl
2009- Just meh
2010- We blew it against the Jets
2011- Injured Post Season Gronk
2012- Gronk Hurt in Divisional Round/Misses AFCCG
2013- Injury Bug

I know, it's this very comment that suffers from confirmation bias.

No it really isn't. You could say anything trying to make a point and then using their opinion or facts they found to back up their point is exhibiting confirmation bias. It's a disprovable accusation and that makes it pointless.

EVERY YEAR IS A "MUST WIN THE SB".
EVERY YEAR.
That's why they play. Not every player on the team has 1 ring, let alone several.

This is about the players.

But I like dem rings too!:D
I like dem rings too however they do not fit me. Maybe I need a special collar?

All due respect... I don't see how losing both coordinators and TFB getting a year older has any upside. Yes it allows you to play the "people believe in us less than they use to card". It gives them good reason too.
It has exactly the upside I said. It forces more attention to detail, an understanding by belichick that its an issue that he must overcome. He has done it before.

The 2018 will not be as well coached as the 2017 Patriots and it will be a fairly big drop off. They will still probably be the best coached team in the league due to the HC and OL coach
And many other coaches thatvwoll remain.

but make no mistake we are losing part of the advantage we had over other teams after this year. I personally will not be convinced to spin that into being a good thing.
Nothing is ever all good or all bad. It’s certainly a loss of talent but it will create other strengths that B.B. knows he will need to compensate with.

I'm not saying they can't lose this year and win next year. I'm saying it will get harder to win every year after this year and this may be the last year they are the team that clearly should win.
We will see but at this point no one knows.
I would trade both coordinators for great health, for example.

No it really isn't. You could say anything trying to make a point and then using their opinion or facts they found to back up their point is exhibiting confirmation bias. It's a disprovable accusation and that makes it pointless.

That doesn't reflect my rebuttal in any way. :confused:

Understand, it is reasonable to question the coaching in 2005, seeing as it was a transition when the team didn't even have an OC and Bill ended up taking some control back on defense. But you aren't limiting your commentary to isolated years, you said the coaching was consistently worse for the entire period. So, aside from an absence of championships, what evidence do you have to support that claim?

Losing in 2011 is an example of blowing an easy road. We had the Tebow Broncos and a 9-7 Giants team with a decent Ravens team stuck between them. Not winning that year was more of a blown opportunity than 2007 tbh. You don't get a smaller ring if the road is easy.

Talk about blowing it. I lost $50,000 on that game because I didn't get my $100 bet in for a safety (1000-1 odds). I was so busy running around to different bars to get my square numbers that I forgot about it until the game started. I almost cried when they called that bogus safety.

Seeing this discussion reminds me of something that happened to me 25 years ago.

After a hard day at work I came home and sat down in the kitchen. When my youngest son (10 at the time) came over I told him that I needed a hug. His response was, "do you need a hug or want a hug? Because if you need a hug that would be a necessity. But if you want a hug that would be a luxury." I told him to forget about it and to go get his brother. :)

Anything the Pats do from here on is a luxury, plain and simple. Another SB win would be great, but it isn't a necessity.

Well, that's probably enough patsfans for me until gametime.

Everything after last SB is gravy. There's no downside for us from here on out and there's not a team left who I would hate to lose to now that the Steelers are out of it.

I wish other people could get to this point of zen. We're lucky bastards.

This is how I see it, it’s all gravy. However, if they get there and win it then they have 3 out of 4 dynasty runs bookending Belichick’s and Brady’s careers, and they wouldn’t be done.

One like for that post?????

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who understands your brilliance.

Anyways at least you know I know. Don't let it ruin the rest of your Braday.

You're the only one with any taste in the damn joint :p

We sort have already won. Regardless, this is pouring on the gravy.. on top of more gravy. Then again we only have this season and basically next season and who knows what happens after that.

To be honest I found this to be 1 of the most boring NFL seasons that I can remember. Look back at all the games and in the playoffs. we get a mediocre Tennessee team in the Divisional round and the "Jags" in the AFC champ round. A triple Bye to the Super Bowl.

I am being slightly sarcastic... before anyone jumps ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case