PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The importance of winning this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I don't mean just the AFCCG but the Super Bowl. I think we are underestimating how important winning this year is.

An odd thing to say after just winning our 5th I know. I think the importance of this year isn't about breaking records but about how much harder it's going to get to win after this year. We will still have Brady/BB I think but the Patriots will take a step back next year in the coaching department.

BB is the best coach but he needs people to help him do the work and can't be everywhere at once. You just don't lose guys like Patricia and McDaniels as well as others and have it have no effect.

A lot of us remember after 2004 that 2005 and 2006 were good years but they just couldn't make it work. Close, but more "in the mix" than "the favorite. It isn't until 2 years ago I felt we FINALLY were as well coached as back then. It was a tall order but we finally found an OC/DC combo worthy of being in the same breath as the duo of Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel.

After they left the Patriots had some good years but weren't able to close the deal. I don't think it's coincidence that the Patriots have 5 wins with a great duo and 0 without. Not to say maybe they shouldn't have won a few of those other years too... but clearly it made it harder.

This will be the last year the Patriots will have a great duo of coordinators in the BB/Brady era. It could be argued going by past history of how important that has been for this franchise this could be their last shot at a SB as "the team that should win."

Last edited:
The league was exceedingly weak this year with so many superstar injuries. The league will be much stronger next season making the road to the Super Bowl for the Patriots tougher. Gotta take advantage of the easy opportunities.

The importance of winning this year is being able to LOL in the face of Steelers fans as Brady collects the same number of Lombardis as their entire organization.

26904649_1791810874198926_409827770058749295_n.jpg

I'd be surprised if many here underestimate the importance of a Super Bowl this year.

Starting with the fact that Brady's career clock is thumping louder than Mona Lisa Vito's biological clock. The fairly weak state of the league also makes it a great opportunity to win even with the injuries to Edelman, Hightower, Mitchell, etc. In a way I keep thinking it feels like a makeup year for 2008 -- the playoff field was similarly weak and if that Pats team had only managed to get in, it would have been a romp.

Beyond all that, though, any fan with any experience knows the simple fact that there's never a guarantee for next year. Not even with the Patriots. And that's where the importance is -- you are thisclose.

Trust me, I felt this way about winning the fourth one. After winning 3 of 4 out of the gate with Brady we just naturally thought there were more to come. After years of coming oh so close the SB49 win just felt insanely sweet.

Five was icing on the cake. The nice thing is that it shuts the door on any G.O.A.T. debate.

Do we want SIX? HELL YEAH! But do we NEED six? No. Even if we don't win this year we'll still be the most successful franchise in the 21st century. Brady will still be the Greatest of All Time.

Trust me, it would be nice to have more, but it's more 'want/nice to have' than 'need' at this point. I'm just enjoying the ride.

PS...it would be really, really cool to have a 3 Games to Glory VI, though. I'm a sucker for these dvds/blu rays.

The goal is to win the Super Bowl.

I don't know how to add to or subtract from this goal. There have been 5 seasons in which the Patriots have achieved this goal... and that's more than most teams, evah.

With 32 teams, success is hard.

It would be good to win the super bowl this year. It would be bad to miss the SB or to lose it.

I don't mean just the AFCCG but the Super Bowl. I think we are underestimating how important winning this year is.

An odd thing to say after just winning our 5th I know. I think the importance of this year isn't about breaking records but about how much harder it's going to get to win after this year. We will still have Brady/BB I think but the Patriots will take a step back next year in the coaching department.

BB is the best coach but he needs people to help him do the work and can't be everywhere at once. You just don't lose guys like Patricia and McDaniels as well as others and have it have no effect.

A lot of us remember after 2004 that 2005 and 2006 were good years but they just couldn't make it work. Close, but more "in the mix" than "the favorite. It isn't until 2 years ago I felt we FINALLY were as well coached as back then. It was a tall order but we finally found an OC/DC combo worthy of being in the same breath as the duo of Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel.

After they left the Patriots had some good years but weren't able to close the deal. I don't think it's coincidence that the Patriots have 5 wins with a great duo and 0 without. Not to say maybe they shouldn't have won a few of those other years too... but clearly it made it harder.

This will be the last year the Patriots will have a great duo of coordinators in the BB/Brady era. It could be argued going by past history of how important that has been for this franchise this could be their last shot at a SB as "the team that should win."

Thought provoking idea.

a - I think a fanbase absolutely has to not diminish the importance of an opportunity at a championship - even though our cup has been overflowing in comparison to pretty much all of league history. Next year is never guaranteed, as the period from 2006/2008 drilled into a thick skull or two, I'd imagine.

b - I listened to GM Street with M. Lombardi this morning. There was an uncomfortable number of mentions of Brian Flores's name in relation to the Arizona job. Not a lot of noise from Arizona regarding their next HC, so rumors abound that they're solid on a candidate who's still in the playoffs.

I'd really love to see what Flores can do as DC here, if he's truly as talented as some have said. Plus, it'll be bad enough losing 2 high end coaches - losing a 3rd, plus some number of associated coaches / staff who will get promotions in Detroit, Indy or Arizona will leave some big gaps in the Patriots organizational structure to fill. If that happens your premise builds further on itself.

c - However, if Flores stays and O'Shea becomes OC - I'm going to stay optimistic. I'd like to think that BB understands what happened in ~ 05 when RAC and Charlie Weiss left. I think he's known for 2 or more seasons that he'd have to replace both McDaniels and Patricia - so I hope he's found ways to build up their replacements accordingly.

d - I'll be interested to see if any outside veteran coaches are brought on board the Patriots this offseason.

Last edited:
The importance of winning here and now is that the future is never known.

We had our fair share of injuries and big ones this year also.

As to the coordinators, BB has had ~14 years more experience grooming the OC and DC. Way back when he knew Charlie and Roneo from the Giants and Jets, he didn't have to develop them.

There is a reason that he hires in house rather than bring in 'outsiders'. I would be shocked if he hasn't been working to get the next DC and OC ready to go. He already knows who they will be and we will find out AFTER the SB.

Well, that's probably enough patsfans for me until gametime.

Everything after last SB is gravy. There's no downside for us from here on out and there's not a team left who I would hate to lose to now that the Steelers are out of it.

I wish other people could get to this point of zen. We're lucky bastards.

I think the question mark will be the defense. When Weis left after '04 Brady had 5 years in the Pat's system. He now has 18. I'm thinking he has a pretty good grip (no hand joke pun intended) on the offense. You could probably have him gameplan without a coordinator for a week and not see much drop off.

The D is another story as there really isn't that cornerstone guy that puts it all together on the field. Luckily, defense just happens to be the head coach's forte.

I think we'll miss Patricia more than Mcdaniels but I don't think we'll see a big discombobulation going on in Foxboro from the loss of the 2.

Everything after last SB is gravy. There's no downside for us from here on out and there's not a team left who I would hate to lose to now that the Steelers are out of it.

Need at least 3 more Super Bowls

Have you considered a career as a motivational speaker? Tack this one up on the bulletin board!

Okay, I agree, we're all spoiled. I'm like the guys above though. I want this one, then, RIGHT the next year I want another, to get the impossible 3-peat. I want I want I want. Gimme gimme gimme.

When you fly to the stratosphere... don't you kind of want to see space?

I'll settle for 2 more. ;) Get me to 7 cause F the Steelers!

Yea my dream is Brady to reach 7, how awesome would it be to win it this year and next season have the opportunity to break these 3 historical records

First team to go 19-0
First team to 3 Peat
First team to win 7 Super Bowls
All in one season

A lot on the line this season and some of it has to do with next

Exactly. He already shoved spygate and defamegate up their asses. He's got more rings than any QB in the history of the NFL. It's gravy time. I'm good.

If you repeat as champions, then you're legendary.

If you do it again under the same coach and QB, well, you are alone among the legendary. The legends all then look up to you.

That can be NE in 16 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back