PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The good way outweighs the bad.

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We're in the division hunt. We're relevant. People aren't overlooking us anymore. The coaching staff looks solid and the talent is there. The adjusts that are needed seem reasonably manageable -- a bit more speed in the middle and perhaps another thick body on the defensive line. Hardly insurmountable..

When we got beat in the playoffs it was by the sort of thing that can beat just about anyone -- a great QB making a high level individual effort. I'm not going to say that was fun to watch but I honestly think it was an "Any Given Sunday" situation.

This season shaved 2-3 years off what I expected our rebuild to be and that by itself is a success. We knew contending was a longshot when this season started and yet there were were with 10 wins and a playoff spot when January rolled around. The real window could open as early as next year if we have a good offseason and draft.

I posted this because recency bias is a thing and now we've had some time to get past the sting of getting manhandled by Allen, it's time to make sure we're seeng the season in the right perspective and acknowledging that we have a whole HELL of a lot more hope than we did at this time last year.

Now let's just hope that Bill the GM is on the ball and manages to improve the roster in those sore spots that hurt us at times this year, especially with defensive speed.

There is a lot to build on. Unfortunately we aren't at the point where we can compete week in week out with playoff caliber teams

Can we get there? Yes. But a lot of guys who took paychecks this season have to realize it's time to practice harder, play harder and ffs play smarter. Too many little things happened over and over this season that really hurt our chances in tough games. Correcting that stuff is paramount, on a player and coaching level.

I look forward to good things happening in the next season as this iteration of the Patriots grows together.

Last edited:
We're in the division hunt. We're relevant. People aren't overlooking us anymore. The coaching staff looks solid and the talent is there. The adjusts that are needed seem reasonably manageable -- a bit more speed in the middle and perhaps another thick body on the defensive line. Hardly insurmountable..

When we got beat in the playoffs it was by the sort of thing that can beat just about anyone -- a great QB making a high level individual effort. I'm not going to say that was fun to watch but I honestly think it was an "Any Given Sunday" situation.

This season shaved 2-3 years off what I expected our rebuild to be and that by itself is a success. We knew contending was a longshot when this season started and yet there were were with 10 wins and a playoff spot when January rolled around. The real window could open as early as next year if we have a good offseason and draft.

I posted this because recency bias is a thing and now we've had some time to get past the sting of getting manhandled by Allen, it's time to make sure we're seeng the season in the right perspective and acknowledging that we have a whole HELL of a lot more hope than we did at this time last year.

Now let's just hope that Bill the GM is on the ball and manages to improve the roster in those sore spots that hurt us at times this year, especially with defensive speed.
Well no, they played bad down the stretch, beat bad teams lost to good teams got worse as the season went on and got embarrassed in the playoffs. That means in essence that the pats are a mediocre team like most of the teams in the league.

There's good and bad. The good is that it looks like we found our next QB. Our issues are we have major needs at WR, LB, possibly CB and OL, and we don't have much cap left to play with. The next 2 drafts will be key for the Pats to get back to contender status.

We have Mac Jones. That's all that matters. It's much harder to find a legit QB than it is to rebuild an offense or defense.

3 more wins than last year is huge step up. More than many expected. Improve total wins next year and we are on our way to better things.

There is a lot to build on. 7nfortunately we aren't at the point where we can compete week in week out with playoff caliber teams

Can we get there? Yes.

The Pats are already "there" - if by "there" you mean competing week in and week out with playoff caliber teams.

Here are the teams the Pats played this year that were "playoff caliber" - not necessarily IN the playoffs, but playoff caliber:

Mia (9-8) - L, 17-16 - Harris fumbled as they were driving to win the game
NO (9-8) - L, 28-13
TB (13-4) - L, 19-17 - Folk missed a long FG that would have given them the lead late
Dal (12-5) - L, 35-29 OT - Dal outplayed NE but had a miracle sequence to send the game to OT
LAC (9-8) - W, 27-24
Cle (8-9) - W, 45-7
Ten (12-5) - W, 36-13
Buf (11-6) - W, 14-10
Ind (9-8) - L, 27-17 - Pats down by 3 late until Taylor broke one
Buf (11-6) - L, 33-21 - Pats down by 5 late and Jackson dropped an INT that would have given NE the ball deep in Buf territory
Mia (9-8) - L, 33-24
Buf (11-6) - L, 47-17

That's 4-8, but of those 8 losses, one was by 1 point, one by 2 points, one in OT, and they "could" have won five of them had one thing gone right for NE. Now those things *didn't* go right, hence they didn't win. But clearly they were "competing" with these playoff caliber teams.

The next step is WINNING those games, not just "competing".

The Pats are already "there" - if by "there" you mean competing week in and week out with playoff caliber teams.

Here are the teams the Pats played this year that were "playoff caliber" - not necessarily IN the playoffs, but playoff caliber:

Mia (9-8) - L, 17-16 - Harris fumbled as they were driving to win the game
NO (9-8) - L, 28-13
TB (13-4) - L, 19-17 - Folk missed a long FG that would have given them the lead late
Dal (12-5) - L, 35-29 OT - Dal outplayed NE but had a miracle sequence to send the game to OT
LAC (9-8) - W, 27-24
Cle (8-9) - W, 45-7
Ten (12-5) - W, 36-13
Buf (11-6) - W, 14-10
Ind (9-8) - L, 27-17 - Pats down by 3 late until Taylor broke one
Buf (11-6) - L, 33-21 - Pats down by 5 late and Jackson dropped an INT that would have given NE the ball deep in Buf territory
Mia (9-8) - L, 33-24
Buf (11-6) - L, 47-17

That's 4-8, but of those 8 losses, one was by 1 point, one by 2 points, one in OT, and they "could" have won five of them had one thing gone right for NE. Now those things *didn't* go right, hence they didn't win. But clearly they were "competing" with these playoff caliber teams.

The next step is WINNING those games, not just "competing".
That's not how it works, especially with a team who's philosophy is to keep it close, shorten the game, and hope for the best.

Sick of hearing about Mac's weak arm, it's strong enough as is and he can improve it just like TB did. Just need some pieces to take the next step and Mac is just fine.

The Pats are already "there" - if by "there" you mean competing week in and week out with playoff caliber teams...

Just to add some examples of what I mean,

When you argue the Dolphins game, you omit the fact that, on the very drive before the Harris fumble, Tua threw a bad pick, because same/same.

When you argue the Bucs game and say that Folk missed a long FG, it's more than that. That FG would have been Folk's longest of the season, and would have tied his career high, which was made in 2010 and has never been matched.

When you argue the Titans game, you omit the fact that the Titans were missing their starting WRs and the best RB in the game, and still had it as a 3 point game at the half.

Etc...

And winning/losing close games is what happens in the NFL. Most games aren't 45-3.

Aren't you the one that started the "is anyone still worried about the Bills" thread? Since you did that, our season went to shyt! This is all your fault dude. You should be banned from starting any threads for at least a year. Just stop.

BTW, "any given Sunday" refers to a team unexpectedly winning a game against a better opponent. What we witnessed was total domination of a better team opening a can of whoop ass on a weaker opponent. GTF outta here with your BS takes.

Uhh yes? I expected Jones to have far more teething troubles than he did.

How does Jones being what he was supposed to be, but not being an obviously elite QB, cut 2-3 years off a rebuild, and are you basing your entire theory on that one player?

The OP presents an optimistic view of what the Patriots accomplished this past season and their prospects for success going forward. Then, voila! the Buccaneers fan contingent converges to take issue and pick it apart. Fascinating.

They didn’t didn’t do a rebuild. They did a remodel. As such, there are still numerous problems that were never addressed which must now be addressed.
It's worse than that. If Mac isn't the guy, and there is no indication that he is, team will go 3 years of 1 & dones or miss playoffs entirely, while drafting in the 20s. They'll be stuck in QB hell. Bill may never win another SB before he retires.

When Brady left, the dynasty died. They should've blown it all up, from the top down. This team needs fresh blood. Someone that can modernize the O & D with faster players and current concepts instead of trying to win with 1990s concepts. The team looks stale and uninspired.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back