PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps we should limit our comments on the main board to this one thread (as intended when it was set up). As has been pointed out more than once, we have a well functioning, very informative, draft board.

I'd prefer a bit more length too for an inline TE although check out West vs Dwayne Allen's combines

D Allen

6'3" 255

4-89 forty
32" bj
110" vj
7.12 3-cone
4.37 shuttle
27 reps

T Wesco

6'3" 267
4.89 forty
31" bj
117" vj
7.18 3cone
4.38 shuttle
24 reps

West has more mass and longer arms but aside from that, they're very similar. That's made me feel better about Wesco as a blocking TE.

(Disclaimer: I only know this because Mrs. Rover is a big fan of 80's British post-punk. )

Ah Dude, I'm so sorry to hear that.
I know it's not much of a consolation but we all have our crosses to bear. Mrs Maust is a big fan of musical theater and New Age.

Yeah, the secret of the "complexity" of the Patriots offense isn't that it's some ridiculous thing lots of fans imagine that requires galaxy brains to understand wildly complex concepts as if it was rocket science. The Patriots offense is only more complicated than most pro or even college offenses in the degrees of freedom allowed on each play. Option routes aren't a new concept to any wide receiver entering the league, but it's the way the entire offense has been built around Brady's preferences and tendencies that puts a lot of strain on a receiver to get on the same page as the GOAT. Some uber-talented receivers with high football IQ like Moss, Welker, Edelman, or Gordon got there right away. Others take time, and a lot never do.

You are forgetting Gronk, he picked it up as fast as any, and as a rookie (unlike Moss or Welker). Gronk has a super high football IQ, goofy doesn't mean dumb. Plus, I suspect his goofiness is more of a branding thing than anything else, I would be pretty surprised if he doesn't have a boatload of post-retirement offers right out of the gate whether it be wrestling, broadcasting, acting, anything where he can have a good time while making a pile of dough.

You are forgetting Gronk, he picked it up as fast as any, and as a rookie (unlike Moss or Welker). Gronk has a super high football IQ, goofy doesn't mean dumb. Plus, I suspect his goofiness is more of a branding thing than anything else, I would be pretty surprised if he doesn't have a boatload of post-retirement offers right out of the gate whether it be wrestling, broadcasting, acting, anything where he can have a good time while making a pile of dough.

It wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list, but it's weird the words you try to put in my mouth here.

It wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list, but it's weird the words you try to put in my mouth here.
That wasn’t the intention to put words in your mouth (??, I don’t even know what you are talking about, perhaps you can explain)
but rather to highlight the football intelligence of Gronk, which is unappreciated IMHO. Nobody seems to notice that he picked up the Brady offense faster (especially for a rookie) than anyone else. It’s one of the reasons he is so difficult to replace, we need someone with a similar TE skill set that is smart enough to immediately figure out the Brady offense, that is a very, very high bar.

Last edited:
Now we're left to wonder whether or not Gronk's retirement is going to change the team's draft strategy.

I think the question is not whether some WR can run an option route or not, the difficulty comes from whether they see the play developing (the option) in the same way Brady does.

Thank you!

So if anyone likes draft simulations first-pick.com First-Pick.com has a fun "game", anyways without trading up for the first 3 patriots picks I hit my ultimate wet dream of a scenario

Picks
1ST - 32 (32) TJ Hockenson TE Iowa
2ND - 24 (56) Hakeem Butler WR Iowa State
2ND - 32 (64) Daniel Jones QB Duke
3RD - 9 (73) Julian Love CB Notre Dame
***** TRADE 78 FOR 97 + 101 *****
3RD - 14 (78) Anthony Nelson DE Iowa
4TH - 32 (134) Emanuel Hall WR Missouri

I know it's more probable of getting hit by lightning 54 times in a row but a guy can dream right!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190326-210927_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190326-210927_Chrome.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 1
So if anyone likes draft simulations first-pick.com First-Pick.com has a fun "game", anyways without trading up for the first 3 patriots picks I hit my ultimate wet dream of a scenario

Picks

I know it's more probable of getting hit by lightning 54 times in a row but a guy can dream right!!!

I stopped reading at round one. No way Hockenson drops that far.

I stopped reading at round one. No way Hockenson drops that far.
I know, I dont know what prospect rankings first pick is using but its gotta be close cause in different simulations hockenson went anywhere from 10th to 32nd so it's not that far off. Personally I dont think he would make it past the Steelers at 20 but if he falls past 13 he might make it to the low 20's

I know, I dont know what prospect rankings first pick is using but its gotta be close cause in different simulations hockenson went anywhere from 10th to 32nd so it's not that far off. Personally I dont think he would make it past the Steelers at 20 but if he falls past 13 he might make it to the low 20's

Fanspeak has a nice draft simulator. Here's my Patriots mock draft:

32: R1P32
DL DEXTER LAWRENCE
CLEMSON

56: R2P24
TE IRV SMITH
ALABAMA

64: R2P32
WR ANDY ISABELLA
UMASS

73: R3P9
WR J.J. ARCEGA-WHITESIDE
STANFORD

97: R3P33
QB RYAN FINLEY
NC STATE

101: R3P37
S WILL HARRIS
BOSTON COLLEGE

134: R4P32
TE ZACH GENTRY
MICHIGAN

205: R6P32
LB KHALIL HODGE
BUFFALO

239: R7P25
EDGE JUSTIN HOLLINS
OREGON

243: R7P29
CB DAVID LONG
MICHIGAN

246: R7P32
DL DONTAVIUS RUSSELL
AUBURN

252: R7P38
LB BOBBY OKEREKE
STANFORD

DL DEXTER LAWRENCE
CLEMSON

TE IRV SMITH
ALABAMA

WR ANDY ISABELLA
UMASS

WR J.J. ARCEGA-WHITESIDE
STANFORD

QB RYAN FINLEY
NC STATE

S WILL HARRIS
BOSTON COLLEGE

TE ZACH GENTRY
MICHIGAN

LB KHALIL HODGE
BUFFALO

EDGE JUSTIN HOLLINS
OREGON

CB DAVID LONG
MICHIGAN

DL DONTAVIUS RUSSELL
AUBURN

LB BOBBY OKEREKE
STANFORD
That's a bit more realistic than mine lol and it's still at a wet dream level but now that its brought up here it will never happen cause BB loves to **** with us lmao

Now we're left to wonder whether or not Gronk's retirement is going to change the team's draft strategy.
I'm pretty sure it does since BB was trying to sign Jared Cook and failed (or did he?). Cook's signing has yet to be announced. Gronk then retired on him as well. And there are no other TE's available that float his boat, unless he's looking into a trade. So which teams have a nice TE up for grabs? At least there are some good TE's available in the draft.

Names worth mentioning in trade
OJ Howard,Cameron Brate, Evan Engram,Zach Rudolph,Hunter Henry, Adam Sheehan, Jake Butt.
There's some tight end Belichick is scheming on as we speak that I'm not even thinking about currently.
Maybe take a flier on ASJ?
He's just ok of a player and he's battling alcohol I don't know.

Names worth mentioning in trade
OJ Howard,Cameron Brate, Evan Engram,Zach Rudolph,Hunter Henry, Adam Sheehan, Jake Butt.
There's some tight end Belichick is scheming on as we speak that I'm not even thinking about currently.
Maybe take a flier on ASJ?
He's just ok of a player and he's battling alcohol I don't know.
Hunter Henry would be nice. Can't see the chargers dealing him though.

DL DEXTER LAWRENCE
CLEMSON

TE IRV SMITH
ALABAMA

WR ANDY ISABELLA
UMASS

WR J.J. ARCEGA-WHITESIDE
STANFORD

QB RYAN FINLEY
NC STATE

S WILL HARRIS
BOSTON COLLEGE

TE ZACH GENTRY
MICHIGAN

LB KHALIL HODGE
BUFFALO

EDGE JUSTIN HOLLINS
OREGON

CB DAVID LONG
MICHIGAN

DL DONTAVIUS RUSSELL
AUBURN

LB BOBBY OKEREKE
STANFORD

here's mine

TE IRV SMITH JR.
ALABAMA

EDGE JAYLON FERGUSON
LOUISIANA TECH

OT YODNY CAJUSTE
WEST VIRGINIA

WR ANDY ISABELLA
UMASS

LB CHRISTIAN MILLER
ALABAMA

S AMANI HOOKER
IOWA

TE KAHALE WARRING
SAN DIEGO STATE

LB KHALIL HODGE
BUFFALO

WR STANLEY MORGAN JR.
NEBRASKA

QB CLAYTON THORSON
NORTHWESTERN

TE CALEB WILSON
UCLA

OT ISAIAH PRINCE
OHIO STATE

Picks

I had hockenson available in round 3 in first-pick.......which is why I don't bother with first-pick....making trades are nice but pointless if they don't do at least a half way decent job of ranking the players

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back