PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
TEs going quickly?

Also, Matt Miller says Deebo Samuel is going top 40. He was one of my favourite options for our 2nd picks so that would be disappointing.

Also, Matt Miller says Deebo Samuel is going top 40. He was one of my favourite options for our 2nd picks so that would be disappointing.

Remember DJ Moore last year? Similar playstyles, probably similar draft ranges.

You think Deebo goes in the first?

I think he goes top 40, but I'm not sure about first yet. I could see it happening. It all depends what a team is looking for, really. He's electric with the ball in his hands. I don't have an instant starter, first round grade on him, but that doesn't mean he can't (or shouldn't) go in the first. I would not be surprised to see him end up in a place like GB, for example, as their replacement to Cobbs.

We have another outstanding Gamecock on our Team in Stephon Gilmore. When in doubt...REACH!:D seriously I really like Deebo's game and the School have had success in the Pros.

We have another outstanding Gamecock on our Team in Stephon Gilmore. When in doubt...REACH!:D seriously I really like Deebo's game and the School have had success in the Pros.

You missed one. Bruce Ellington. We missed out on Jared Cook, could have had another Gamecock.

I would be in favor of Samuel because he is also a pretty fair returner as well. I don't think we can get Hockenson or Fant. I think Smith runs good patterns and can block a bit, but is on the small side.

We are going to need two WR and two TE.
TE
LaCosse and Rizzo would be #3 guys . Hollister is always hurt.

I would target Warring, Raymond or Josh Oliver. I would dip into FA because you don't want to go into camp with basically all of you TE room rookies or close to it.

I would add Cameron Brate

WR
Debo, A.J. Brown, Harry

I would ad Rishard Higgins (I have said too many times). He's $2mm and a 5th rounder as RFA.

If the Pats had cajones, they would trade for Adam Shaheen with the Bears even though he has not shown much being drafted in Round 2. He has been hurt early last year but healthy now......a leap of faith

DW Toys

Last edited:
Not a mock, but my perfect draft would be:

Round 1: Jerry Tillery or Dexter Lawrence. Simmons too possibly.

Round 2a: trade up with our 2nd comp pick. Get WR (Deebo, N’Keal Harry or AJ Brown or maybe McLaurin, Harmon or Butler).

Round 2B: TE (Dawson Knox, Sternberger or Warring)

Round 3a: Zach Allen is my ideal Flowers replacement. Charles Omenihu is a possibility here too.

Round 3b: Best OL available. Scharping?

Like Deebo but is he not injured often?

TEs going quickly?

We started the modern TE mania. It was once thought that Gonzalez, Gates, and Witten were the standout "black swan" tight ends, and that all others could scrape together perhaps 3-5 TD and 400 receiving yards. That was just their range, if I recall correctly. Then with the Gronk/Murderguy draft, the Pats made a dominant TE de rigeur in the modern game. Off we all went in search of Celeks and Cooks and whatnot... At least that's how my homer memory captures it (D'Oh!)

I've heard it said there's more copying in the NFL than down at Kinkos, and one way BB has sustained excellence in NE is to always be the leader to follow. Okay, so interest is huge in TEs, and we so badly need a TE... hmmm.

It's a fool who tries to call what BB will ever do, one way or the other... but I'm wondering if he's not thinking "okay, let's think about using the phillips head not the flat head..." (translation: design with in-line TEs who have a low ceiling in terms of receiving).

We all want everything all the time. One way you get closer to that is sit out the big sales where the price is bid up on a certain position. If it's a run on TEs this year, don't be surprised if we pass (no pun intended) for a year, and/or make do with a value pick.

OTOH, I'm always wrong. As are you guys. I just admit it :D

And by "price" in this case it means draft capital.

Round 3a: Zach Allen is my ideal Flowers replacement. Charles Omenihu is a possibility here too.

Please let us draft Omenihu. We can call him The Omen.

If we can't get a complete TE I would be happy with a pass catching TE, I think the offense would benefit from that.

Not a mock, but my perfect draft would be:

Round 1: Jerry Tillery or Dexter Lawrence. Simmons too possibly.

Round 2a: trade up with our 2nd comp pick. Get WR (Deebo, N’Keal Harry or AJ Brown or maybe McLaurin, Harmon or Butler).

Round 2B: TE (Dawson Knox, Sternberger or Warring)

Round 3b: Best OL available. Scharping?

I could get on board with this.

Few weeks back I was thinking double dipping DL but each day that passed I think that's becoming more unrealistic early in the draft.

Maybe 1 and then late 3rd or 4th but no 1 and 2.

Right now I see us getting a DL, then in the 2nd 1 skill and 1 OL.
3rd round safety, another skill and skill/DL.
4th round skill/DL

If we can't get a complete TE I would be happy with a pass catching TE, I think the offense would benefit from that.

I think that's what they have in LaCosse. Watched a lot of his games from last season and he's a decent pass catcher. Good hands and decent speed.

Personally I'd rather have a blocking TE with, hopefully, pass catching upside. I think it's important for the run game and helping out Wynn as he starts his first season on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back