PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have to be a TE, DT or pass rusher right?
In theory I’d think so. Which means he’ll trade up for interior OL or for the secondary....

Honestly at the end of the day, it’s really all about getting the most talented, vertatile, coachable players who fit within your system. If they think that a perfect player is slipping, they might think it’s worthwhile to trade up even if it doesn’t fill an obvious hole, and they’d try to work around it. That said, I can’t think of anyone at a position other than TE, DT or DE/edge that screams that to me based on the reports you all have been creating in the draft forum.

Somewhere, sitting on some team’s roster (probably in the nfc) are some guys that bb has his eye on right now.

Not top of the lines starters, but guys not being used in a way that plays to their strengths.

These guys are probably buried on the depth chart or maybe lost their starting job due to non serious injury and the replacements played well enough to to make those guys expendable,

I expect bb to attempt to trade peanuts for at two of these type players during the draft. However, after the success he had with brown, it is going to be very hard to find a dance partner.

42 year old Brady has only 1 capable receiving option. Get the old man some weapons!

42 year old Brady has only 1 capable receiving option. Get the old man some weapons!

That's a little extreme. James White caught 87 balls. JE had 74 catches. Dorsett had 32 catches in limited opportunities and the best catch rate on the team. Gordon had 40 and is a possibility to be back.

More importantly, they've lost a guy who had 21 catches and another who had 35. It's not the end of the world.

That's a little extreme. James White caught 87 balls. JE had 74 catches. Dorsett had 32 catches in limited opportunities and the best catch rate on the team. Gordon had 40 and is a possibility to be back.

More importantly, they've lost a guy who had 21 catches and another who had 35. It's not the end of the world.
I agree with you that his comment was a bit extreme, although I also think that you should include Rob Gronkowski, who caught 60 balls (including postseason) in a “down” year.

Luckily, we don’t have any games coming up any time soon, but in terms of current WRs/TEs, the group is likely as pathetic as it has ever been, so I can appreciate his desire for some weapons.

We're now a power running team and backfield catching team.

I’d add DT. There are only two non-sub rushing DTs.
Agree, but at least at DT there still are serviceable players on the FA list and value must have dropped some by now.

Agree, but at least at DT there still are serviceable players on the FA list and value must have dropped some by now.

True. I thought Timmy Jernigan might have suited this team.

True. I thought Timmy Jernigan might have suited this team.

He was injured last year. His 2019 salary was scheduled to be $11M. It isn't at all clear what he would cost for 2019, how healthy he is, or he if he is worth the 3rd round comp pick that he would likely cost.

It may be more likely that we re-sign Shelton, before or after May 7th when players no longer count against the compensation count.

Last edited:
Idk...BB may very well have to trade up for this guy, as there were many scouts at his pro-day. Great feet, terrific balance, vision, large mitts, very slippery in the ocean field. The guy’s 3-cone may be around a 194.86, but I’m sure BB can make an exception for this exceptional talent. The GOAT and the SEAL. Let’s do it!

I can see him carving out a role here.
I'd be very happy with Isabella Boykin and Thompson.

Caserio worked out the Toledo WRs personally (they have 3 draftable ones this year), and I agree Thompson would be a nice complement to our offense, but I don't know that we would take 3 WRs in a single draft. Edelman and Dorsett will have the head start due to familiarity. Ellington may be one of our returners (assuming he makes it through camp), so presumably he would be active. Then there's the Gordon question. My guess is that he's reinstated with a 10 game suspension, or something similar, provided he completes rehab.

I'm not sure I see snaps for 3 rookies on top of all that. Possibly 2, but not 3.

That’ll clear up some questions

Last edited:
There is a reasonable case for drafting at any position but punter with our top 7 picks. We have needs everywhere.

Since I tend to believe that Belichick tries to go intothe draft with one current NEED at most, my feeling is that we sign or trade for a few players before our big April 26th Draft Day (5 scheduled picks).

I expect us to sign or trade for an OL, WR and DL before April 26th. Of course, these could include Shelton and Hogan. I would expect the OL to be a trade to avoid being included in the comp calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots