PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching a Kiper/Mcshay mock draft special and Adam Schefter was on with them. More than once he talked about the Seahawks trading Russell Wilson. Didn’t have information hat they would, but didn’t dispel the idea either. Now that would shake things up.

He’s the only QB (and maybe Mahomes) I’d want in this league other than Brady

He’s the only QB (and maybe Mahomes) I’d want in this league other than Brady

Only Brady and Rodgers are better at putting the team on their back and dragging them to victory. Considering the lack of talent on the OL in Seattle, Wilson has done some miraculous things. If I was Miami and Wilson was on the block, I’d move heaven and earth to get him because he’s been a real thorn in our side when we’ve matched up.

My preference would be to trade our #1 for a #1 next year and whatever we can get in addition. Then have extra picks (already and getting something this year in the trade) to trade up. We could end up with a strong draft and two #1s next year hoping to get lucky looking for the long term QB. We need a good draft this year but I think we could make a deal like that and still have a good draft. Even if we only got a #4 back we'd have two #2s three #3s and two #4s. Could easily have two fairly high #2s, one #3 and two #4s after trade ups. And two #1s next year.

Once the draft moves past the blue chippers by about 15, it seems unlikely that the right guy is available by moving up to 22. It seems that for Belichick 25-75 aren't all that different. So, yes, unlikely that we trade up to the no man's land 15-25 zone.
I question whether or not he would part with the draft picks to make that kind of move, that’s all. It would either be a second + a third or possibly even both second rounders.

You’d really have to think a lot of that player.

What do you think of N’Keal Harry?

@reamer likes him more than me. I saw some lazy reps when I watched him. I think he’s fine in the 2nd but prefer AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel and Terry McLaurin. The thing I do like about Harry though is that he can probably contribute early, it’s just that I don’t love his ceiling.

@reamer likes him more than me. I saw some lazy reps when I watched him. I think he’s fine in the 2nd but prefer AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel and Terry McLaurin. The thing I do like about Harry though is that he can probably contribute early, it’s just that I don’t love his ceiling.

Also, doesn’t seem to get much separation but can come down with contested balls.

Evan Lazar‏ @ezlazar
Biggest question about this #Patriots draft is how aggressive they’ll be. Not enough roster spots for 12 picks & UDFAs.
Consolidate picks to land three top ~50 players?
#32 + #73 = #21 (Fant range)
#56 + #97 = #45 (Deebo/Brown range)
#64 + #101 + #134 = #50 (Lindstrom range)

I would puke if they end up with this ...

Fant is not the only good TE ... They can reach for Irv Smith and keep pick 73

Deebo and Brown are good players. But why give an extra pick on a LOADED Wr draft?

If you want Lindstom so bad you trade your 56 + late 3rd to move for 50 + late 4th/early 5th.

Keep $64 and get Isabella, Campbell, JJAW, so many options at WR

With the early 5th grab Brett Rypien (QB3 s another hole)

73 Anthony Nelson
97 Best IDL

So instead of

Fant
Deebo
Lindstom

You get

Irv
Lindstrom
Isabella
Anthony Nelson
Khaulen Saunders
Brett Rypien

I think if they keep #32, it's going to be a safety. There are some Derwin James type swiss army knives (Adderley, Gardner-Johnson, Abram) who are undervalued, and I feel like those are the kind of guys Belichick falls in love with and it's a position of significant need in 2020.

I think if they keep #32, it's going to be a safety. There are some Derwin James type swiss army knives (Adderley, Gardner-Johnson, Abram) who are undervalued, and I feel like those are the kind of guys Belichick falls in love with and it's a position of significant need in 2020.
Well, of course. Last pick of the night, pick a safety when everyone is thinking wr or te or de. Or trading back or out. He does things like that just so we fans get a crappy night’s sleep. Bit of a sadist that BB.

Well, of course. Last pick of the night, pick a safety when everyone is thinking wr or te or de. Or trading back or out. He does things like that just so we fans get a crappy night’s sleep. Bit of a sadist that BB.

Those players are all really good though! There are a lot of WRs who will be there in the 2nd-3rd.

What would it take to trade up to get T. J. Hockenson? I have seen mocks where he's picked as high as #7 and usually is gone by #12. Would our #1, a #2 and 2 #3's get it done and is it worth doing?

Evan Lazar‏ @ezlazar
Biggest question about this #Patriots draft is how aggressive they’ll be. Not enough roster spots for 12 picks & UDFAs.
Consolidate picks to land three top ~50 players?
#32 + #73 = #21 (Fant range)
#56 + #97 = #45 (Deebo/Brown range)
#64 + #101 + #134 = #50 (Lindstrom range)

I would puke if they end up with this ...

Fant is not the only good TE ... They can reach for Irv Smith and keep pick 73

Deebo and Brown are good players. But why give an extra pick on a LOADED Wr draft?

If you want Lindstom so bad you trade your 56 + late 3rd to move for 50 + late 4th/early 5th.

Keep $64 and get Isabella, Campbell, JJAW, so many options at WR

With the early 5th grab Brett Rypien (QB3 s another hole)

73 Anthony Nelson
97 Best IDL

So instead of

Fant
Deebo
Lindstom

You get

Irv
Lindstrom
Isabella
Anthony Nelson
Khaulen Saunders
Brett Rypien

Smith and Isabella are downgrades on Fant and Deebo in my eyes. I like Nelson and Saunders but Lazar’s hypothesis is that there aren’t that many spaces on the roster and that maybe getting the three best prospects you can is an approach to be considered.

Smith and Isabella are downgrades on Fant and Deebo in my eyes. I like Nelson and Saunders but Lazar’s hypothesis is that there aren’t that many spaces on the roster and that maybe getting the three best prospects you can is an approach to be considered.
If that is the thinking I would trade Into next season.
We need a number 1 tightend this season
We need a number 1 or 2 talent receiver due to Edelmans age and who we have under contract I would say we need 2 contributors at least out of this draft at receiver.
Offensive line we need a tackle and a guard at the least.
Defensive line we need 1 or 2 ditto with linebacker.
As far as safety we should draft 1 or 2 to learn from Chung and Mccourty who may be at their last season.
Defensive back we are stacked but it's a position of luxury at you could argue the most important position on defense.
Quarterback Tom may play 1 maybe as long as 5 more seasons so this depends on how you view his availability and Heath going forward.
That cliff will come sooner or later and nobody will be sadder than me to see someone else under center.
Jimmy was like a TB 12 clone and we struck lightening twice then was forced to trade it away.
I could see us making as much as 8 to 9 picks

If that is the thinking I would trade Into next season.
We need a number 1 tightend this season
We need a number 1 or 2 talent receiver due to Edelmans age and who we have under contract I would say we need 2 contributors at least out of this draft at receiver.
Offensive line we need a tackle and a guard at the least.
Defensive line we need 1 or 2 ditto with linebacker.
As far as safety we should draft 1 or 2 to learn from Chung and Mccourty who may be at their last season.
Defensive back we are stacked but it's a position of luxury at you could argue the most important position on defense.
Quarterback Tom may play 1 maybe as long as 5 more seasons so this depends on how you view his availability and Heath going forward.
That cliff will come sooner or later and nobody will be sadder than me to see someone else under center.
Jimmy was like a TB 12 clone and we struck lightening twice then was forced to trade it away.
I could see us making as much as 8 to 9 picks

I think we should use the picks too, but there’s no harm in someone trying out new hypotheses. It creates a conversation if nothing else. At a very minimum, I think we need 1 x OL, 1 x TE and 2 x WR. And then, mostly like you, I have a 2nd Ol, S, DE, DT as needs but not necessarily absolute requirements.

I think we should use the picks too, but there’s no harm in someone trying out new hypotheses. It creates a conversation if nothing else. At a very minimum, I think we need 1 x OL, 1 x TE and 2 x WR. And then, mostly like you, I have a 2nd Ol, S, DE, DT as needs but not necessarily absolute requirements.
Yeah it will be very interesting how we attack this draft.
I'd still like to see a trade for Ross in Cincy when the ball gets to him he makes plays he reminds me of Desean.

If they take a safety there I would want Rapp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back