PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The cost if we traded up to 11 for Fields

40yrpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't seen much written or posted about this. Philly traded up to 10 and drafted Smith. Then when the Giants got on the clock at 11, Chicago quickly jumped in to get Fields. It happened so fast it looked like we had no chance to talk with the Giants. But even if we had, it would've cost a 2nd rounder to move up those 4 spots, at least.

If we'd parted with that 2nd, there would have been no Christian Barmore. So if you're playing the what-if game with Fields, it's really comparing Fields to the tandem of Jones and Barmour, so I'm very happy we sat tight.

I think it would have cost more than a 2nd rounder. Probably a 2nd and a 4th or something like that. In the end the Giants may have preferred the Bears offer of a first next year. The Bears could be sub 500 this year and so the Bears first may wind up being a high pick for the giants. Very good trade for the Gaints and also for the Bears.

Its a great player wed have given up, BUT if fields was the guy, a 2nd and some change is a very necessary sacrifice for the franchise qb of your choice. This leads me to believe mac was bb’s guy all along or at worst they were viewed about even on our board.

Barmore could become a Pro Bowl DT. Very glad we stayed at 15. And 1 thing I’m starting to see about Jones is he seems to have that uber competitive Brady gene.

I think we liked both qbs and as long as they were still on the board there was no reason to move. Did anyone ask BB if we tried to move up once fields went? I can see Dallas and LAC preferring to stay put if the value of Parsons and slater was too good to risk losing?

We wont know the answer to these questions for a year or so.

Assume Barmore becomes a Pro Bowler. Like a Chris Jones.

But what if Mac Jones is another Andy Dalton? While Fields is Deshaun Watson?

Would you trade Chris Jones and Andy Dalton for a pre-scandal Deshaun Watson? Of course you would.

Everything in this draft depends on how good Mac jones turns out.

We wont know the answer to these questions for a year or so.

Assume Barmore becomes a Pro Bowler. Like a Chris Jones.

But what if Mac Jones is another Andy Dalton? While Fields is Deshaun Watson?

Would you trade Chris Jones and Andy Dalton for a pre-scandal Deshaun Watson? Of course you would.

Everything in this draft depends on how good Mac jones turns out.
yeah but you're assuming Fields is Watson 2.0...pretty much a 50/50 roll of the dice...and, what if Jones WAS picked 3, would you still be making the same leap in logic? Fields is >>>>>> Lance too?

After the Bears grabbed Fields, the only team that was a threat to jump ahead of us for Jones was WFT. I know a lot of us would have panicked and moved up to secure our guy right after Fields went, just in case Washington was thinking of doing something. BB didn't panic.

It reminded me of XLIX towards the end when a lot of us were saying "timeout, where's the timeout, come on, why is the clock still running wtf is going on" and Bill is just chillin like "no, something's wrong on their sideline" and seconds later boom, the Seattle coaches send Wilson a bad play and the rest is history.

I kind of see a parallel to this draft when we're panicking wanting to move up the board but he's reading his opponents with a perspective that we're just not privy to.

The fact that the Bears were trading meant we would have needed to offer more than the bears to move up less spots. It was never going to happen.

After realizing the UDFA pool is so weak this year, to have hung on to "Draft Assets" was a wise choice. Particularly as it resulted in both Mac Jones and Christian Barmore...

Fields might be great, but I think that Jones will fit in well here there are so many intangibles on and off the field for him. A 4.0 GPA, Double Major, Masters make me think that he is smarter than average.. then there are the 77% completion rate and the 41-4 TD/int's.

I haven't seen much written or posted about this. Philly traded up to 10 and drafted Smith. Then when the Giants got on the clock at 11, Chicago quickly jumped in to get Fields. It happened so fast it looked like we had no chance to talk with the Giants. But even if we had, it would've cost a 2nd rounder to move up those 4 spots, at least.

If we'd parted with that 2nd, there would have been no Christian Barmore. So if you're playing the what-if game with Fields, it's really comparing Fields to the tandem of Jones and Barmour, so I'm very happy we sat tight.
Bears swapped first rounders, also gave up a 5th, 2022 1st and 4th.... And we would have only paid a 2nd? Why would you think that? Why would the giants accept only a mid round 2 for the swap?

Bears swapped first rounders, also gave up a 5th, 2022 1st and 4th.... And we would have only paid a 2nd? Why would you think that? Why would the giants accept only a mid round 2 for the swap?
Well, it may have been more, and maybe BB & Gettleman had that discussion and Bill said no thanks. But to answer your question, the Giants would only be dropping to 15 not 20 if they dealt with us, so the price would be a lot less, depending on who the Giants had their eye on. From 15, a 4th should move you up 1 spot, a 3rd 2-3 spots, and a 2nd 4-5 spots.

Chicago really didn't pay that much to move up from 20 to 11. That big a jump in the mid-1st round requires a next year 1st most times, and the 4th-5th over 2 years were just gravy.

For those saying we'd need to offer more than the Bears to beat their offer: That's true, BUT, the 15 already has more value than the 20. So chances are the additional compensation (on top of the swap) would have been accepted at less.

That said though, I agree with others who said it's worth it IF Fields was their guy. But it looks very plausible that Jones was their preferred QB anyway, so it worked out well for them.

Give it up

yeah but you're assuming Fields is Watson 2.0...pretty much a 50/50 roll of the dice...and, what if Jones WAS picked 3, would you still be making the same leap in logic? Fields is >>>>>> Lance too?
Since I said this well before the draft and all the way leading up to the draft, I would say YES. I acknowledge it's 50/50, but it's all 50/50 and no one knows. If they knew, they wouldn't miss on half the guys.

I am 100% a backer of Mac Jones now and hope he will become BETTER than Brady but not really hoping for anything more from him than what the Jets got out of Chad Pennington. That being said, I'm not going to erase my post after the 3rd pick of the draft that said something to the effect of "The 49ers dodged a bullet by taking Lance instead of..."

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back