PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The case for Jacoby Brissett

Blegh. I like Brissett but we are a 10-6 ceiling team with him at QB that gets knocked out in round 1, round 2 if we are lucky.
if I thought that was true I'd be raving for Brisssett. We just had our first season in forever when we lost more games than we won. I'd settle for 8-8 until that's established.

You realize that a team that could reach that ceiling would be a top 4 team in their conference, and all it took was 1 lucky year to bring a ring home. So basically the same place we were in the 90s Kraft years, which I'd take sight unseen in a post-Brady era.

Frankly I think a grindy game manager type is our best bet to break over .500 over the next 2-3 years while we reorganize the offense. I definiely think Brissett would be a better QB for us than Dalton or other iffy high risk guys. We don't have the targets to be attractive to big throwers right now, and it might be a year or 2 before we can really change that. That's why I'd rather use the assets we do have (a couple solid midrange targets and a very deep RB corps) rather than pine for what we used to have. And for the assets we do have, Brissett is a fit.

And one thing people forget when they pooh pooh Brissett's low ceiling is that it comes with a high floor. He's a solid midrange thrower with good pocket presence and the strength to make a push at the line on a sneak or even take off himself for 3-5 yards if the defense isn't watching him too closely. The dude has assets.

Also, Brissett's experience in 2019 was way more positive than negative. He took a Colts team in shambles after Luck's retirement and more or less broke even with them. He did an amazing job stabilizing the Colts and even had them in playoff contention when conventional wisdom said they had no business being there. Dude is smart, tough, strong and fundamentally sound and I'd love to bring him back.

Last edited:
Pass. If we are going to get a guy we know won't win you a SB or even get you to the playoffs, you might as well just **** the bed and prepare for next year
Do we know that? It seems to me that Brissett is a Brad johnson type, and guys like that can get into the playoffs in a good year, even in the era of the quarterback.

For the record I don't expect this thread to be particularly popular. But the fact of the matter is that the current state of the franchise favors the idea of a game managing QB.
The current state of the franchise require aggressively using the draft capital and 60 million of cap space to fix its weaknesses. Not out some guy who isn’t good enough to be a starting qb in there because he’s cheap and evidently you think winning isn’t important.

Do we know that? It seems to me that Brissett is a Brad johnson type, and guys like that can get into the playoffs in a good year, even in the era of the quarterback.
Brad Johnson career 72-58. In 9 seasons he started 8 or more games his teams had winning records.
Jacoby Brissett career 12-20 no winning seasons.
Johnson playing in an era where average completion percentages were dramatically lower than today because of the style of the game and the rules had a higher completion % than Brissett.
The only similarity between the 2 is you want to make something up to compare Brissett to a guy who won a Sb.

By the time we pick at 15, I expect the top 4 qb’s (Lawrence, fields, Wilson and even lance) to be off the board.

I also expect the top 4 receivers (chase, smith, waddle and Pitt’s) to be off the board as well.

in addition, I expect ot Sewell, ot slater, cb surtain, cb Farley, lb parsons, and de paye could be off the board

there is really no reason at that point to stay at 15. If bb continues to pump up qb Jones, he can goat Washington into trading up to 15 from 19 to take jones.

We get an extra third and at 19, we can take de barmore or wr Marshall or wr toney, if we want another slot guy.

Brad Johnson was a pro bowler the year they won the SB.... He had more TD's than Brissett ever had, a better passer rating than Brissett ever had, a better completion percentage than Brissett ever had, and he did it in the early 2000's before multiple rule changes that make it easier for a QB like Brissett.

No Brissett is a waste of time.

By the time we pick at 15, I expect the top 4 qb’s (Lawrence, fields, Wilson and even lance) to be off the board.

I also expect the top 4 receivers (chase, smith, waddle and Pitt’s) to be off the board as well.

in addition, I expect ot Sewell, ot slater, cb surtain, cb Farley, lb parsons, and de paye could be off the board

there is really no reason at that point to stay at 15. If bb continues to pump up qb Jones, he can goat Washington into trading up to 15 from 19 to take jones.

We get an extra third and at 19, we can take de barmore or wr Marshall or wr toney, if we want another slot guy.
Or we can just trade up. Novel concept

Frankly, I think Brissett and Meyers would have chemistry, and Edelman is still knocking about, so Brissett won't be without targets. Both also operate in the part of the field where Brissett is accurate...

...In our jersey Brissett's job would be to manage the team, throw to set up the run, and take advantage of our wealth of RB talent (Harris/Michel/Burkhead/White might be the deepest RB corps in the league) to create offense. This is something he was successful doing in Indianapolis in 2019 with a similar personnel package, at least until he took a linesman to the knee.
The Squirrel is cooked, so Brissett would still be without targets (though I figure Bill has to sign a WR and a TE who don't suck...right?)

Burkhead is also cooked, and Sweet Feet is a UFA, so...

Last edited:
The Squirrel is cooked, so Brissett would still be without targets (though I figure Bill has to sign a WR and a TE who don't suck...right?)

Burkhead is also cooked, and Sweet Feet is a UFA, so...
The entire offense is being rebuilt with the exception of a lot of the ol and the RBs position
Luckily there is a crapload of cap space to do it with.

What are the odds of predicting the first 14 picks (not even in order) almost three months before draft? I don't have a problem assuming any one player not on that list goes in the top 14, making one on that list available at 15.

I think hes a backup in this league so no if he’s looking for starter cash. One scenario id be fine with is trade for jg and sign brisset as a backup, but if he’s looking for 10m or more it wont work. The combo did go 4-1 in 2016

For the record I don't expect this thread to be particularly popular. But the fact of the matter is that the current state of the franchise favors the idea of a game managing QB.
The state of the franchise favors not wasting draft picks on defensive backs from Framingham State and Rutgers and slow pac-10 receivers who can't catch the ball

Brissett would not want to play for a team that dumped him for
a first round draft bust.

Brissett would not want to play for a team that dumped him for
a first round draft bust.
don't see why not. He's not a premium acquisition, if he wants to play, he's going to wind up on a franchise that's hurting for QB talent,, it might as well be one he's familiar with.

Besides, the trade for Dorsett was a win win win. Bill did Brissett a huge favor when he turned him from a third stringer here to the starter on his own team. Brissett got a chance to start at all because we traded him. That resulted in tens of millions of dollars in his pocket. I doubt he feels any animosity towards Belichick at all. In fact in his position I'd be quite grateful.

And I know the Dorsett acquisition didn't go exactly the way we hoped, but he did wind up having some key TDs in the runup to Superbowl 53. I'm not actually sure we get there without Dorsett's contribution against the Chiefs in particular.

My man Bisquick is a lower risk than many of the pricey former failed starters mentioned here. He'd keep us in games. No draft pick expended, facilitating the rebuild. He's a good leader and will follow the coaching. Does not throw balls at the feet of wide open receivers (OK,OK, WHAT wide open receivers you say). Not the future but a transition guy as our 2021 or 2022 QB draft pick develops.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Back