PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The case for Jacoby Brissett

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Brissett is a UFA who would cost no draft assets

Brissett should also not break the bank financially, which will allow us to stiffen the D and stock up on offensive personnel

Brissett isn't a prolific thrower, but look at our targets, a prolific thrower would be wasted here.

In Indianapolis. Brissett had his team at 5-2 in 2019 before a freak injury (his own lineman forced back into his leg) derailed his season. His TD-pick rate was very good, which since he wasn't a big touchdown thrower means he kept his mistakes right to a minimum and was fundamentally sound.

Frankly, I think Brissett and Meyers would have chemistry, and Edelman is still knocking about, so Brissett won't be without targets. Both also operate in the part of the field where Brissett is accurate.

we're also well set up personnel wise to move to a more grinding defensive style of ball. Especially if we don't spend our firsst rounder on a QB and instead beef up our LB corps.

In our jersey Brissett's job would be to manage the team, throw to set up the run, and take advantage of our wealth of RB talent (Harris/Michel/Burkhead/White might be the deepest RB corps in the league) to create offense. This is something he was successful doing in Indianapolis in 2019 with a similar personnel package, at least until he took a linesman to the knee.

It's as good a bet as any other. Personally I'd love to see it tried just for the chance to rub Indy's nose in the fact that they benched the guy for Phillip "the Bridesmaid" Rivers.

For the record I don't expect this thread to be particularly popular. But the fact of the matter is that the current state of the franchise favors the idea of a game managing QB.

The problem with JB is he has an extremely low ceiling. Would rather they roll the dice on someone with more upside even if it means they may ultimately be worse in the short term.

I'm all in. This team would have possibly made the playoffs had JB been the QB.

As long as I can get Cam as a mentor.

They traded him for draft bust Philip Dorsett in 2017 despite knowing they might trade Garoppolo later in the year. If they saw him as a possible answer, they don’t make that move.

Brisset is a decent backup. He dances around in the pocket but then is incapable of making the more difficult passes, so the result is a guy who takes forever to make a safe throw short of the sticks.

Hard pass.

Bizarre use of a third-round pick in 2016 with their QB situation. I wonder what they thought of Dak Prescott at the time, if they were looking at mid-round QBs.

He’s got a pretty good arm and mobile as we know but he isn’t a guy who is inclined to take the chances that a starter needs to take sometimes. Too passive. You don’t really want a guy like JB being responsible for driving a team 50 yards with little time left for a tying or go ahead score. His low YPA tells that story. I don’t think he has a fast release either.

But if the Pats are looking for a backup he’s as solid a choice as any.

Brissett should also not break the bank financially, which will allow us to stiffen the D and stock up on offensive personnel

Brissett isn't a prolific thrower, but look at our targets, a prolific thrower would be wasted here.

In Indianapolis. Brissett had his team at 5-2 in 2019 before a freak injury (his own lineman forced back into his leg) derailed his season. His TD-pick rate was very good, which since he wasn't a big touchdown thrower means he kept his mistakes right to a minimum and was fundamentally sound.

Frankly, I think Brissett and Meyers would have chemistry, and Edelman is still knocking about, so Brissett won't be without targets. Both also operate in the part of the field where Brissett is accurate.

we're also well set up personnel wise to move to a more grinding defensive style of ball. Especially if we don't spend our firsst rounder on a QB and instead beef up our LB corps.

In our jersey Brissett's job would be to manage the team, throw to set up the run, and take advantage of our wealth of RB talent (Harris/Michel/Burkhead/White might be the deepest RB corps in the league) to create offense. This is something he was successful doing in Indianapolis in 2019 with a similar personnel package, at least until he took a linesman to the knee.

It's as good a bet as any other. Personally I'd love to see it tried just for the chance to rub Indy's nose in the fact that they benched the guy for Phillip "the Bridesmaid" Rivers.
If you aspire to ongoing 9-7 records and hopes for that last wild card spot this is a great option.

Jacoby Brissett would be a good option. 30TD/10int so he takes care of the ball. Parcells called him one of the best leaders, like a Bruschi and Troy and Willie type. Other QBs who surprisingly have decent game manager stats would be Trubisky or JimmyG. Any of these 3 for 20-25m/yr would be not bad.

If you aspire to ongoing 9-7 records and hopes for that last wild card spot this is a great option.
Considering we're looking at up to 3 years rebuild doing it the conventional way, 9-7 sounds pretty good to me.

Blegh. I like Brissett but we are a 10-6 ceiling team with him at QB that gets knocked out in round 1, round 2 if we are lucky.

I’d be totally fine with Brissett, as long as we draft our future franchise QB in the 1st round (THIS YEAR). I think Brissett would be WAY better than Cam. He can actually throw the ball. Just not incredibly mobile. 31 career TD passes and 13 career INTs, that’s not a horrendous ratio.

I think he’s be a good bridge QB. Plus he knows our offense. I prefer Fitzpatrick, but wouldn’t HATE Brissett coming back on the cheap. As long as we get our future franchise QB in the 1st this year. Bridge QB plus draftee. That’s what the Chargers & Dolphins did. I think it’s a good move.

Pass. If we are going to get a guy we know won't win you a SB or even get you to the playoffs, you might as well just **** the bed and prepare for next year

Blegh. I like Brissett but we are a 10-6 ceiling team with him at QB that gets knocked out in round 1, round 2 if we are lucky.
On a rebuilding team, 10-6 and getting to the playoffs would be a dream come true. If getting Brissett gets us to 10-6 and the playoffs, well where do I sign ?

I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes Belichick 2 years to get back to the playoffs.

I'd take him as a back up. Not as a starter though. He is not an accurate passer in a time the league has thrown open the passing game doors.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back