PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The case for Jacoby Brissett

I'm down with Bisquick.

I think brissett or mariota, if he can be had for a low draft pick (or if the raiders cut him) are probably two of the best options for what this team needs next year out of the position.......we are NOT going to land a game changer for 2021.......so someone who can handle the ball, move it around, limit turnovers, compliment the power run game, let the D keep the game tilted in their favor.......we're going back to the early 2000's

That's what happens when you lose your way. You return to your roots. We don't have the guy that made the high flying offense work, so we go back to the basics. Defense, run, grind, and be smart with the football.

That's what happens when you lose your way. You return to your roots. We don't have the guy that made the high flying offense work, so we go back to the basics. Defense, run, grind, and be smart with the football.

honestly my favorite style, so i'm down

I like it too, but as they say, "chicks dig the long ball," so prepare for an offseason of impossible trade proposals for Rodgers or Watson. Meanwhile with the cap shrinking a cost controlled game manager who can grind, use his feet a little, and show some accuracy in the 5-25 yard range is probably the best use of our resources.

I like it too, but as they say, "chicks dig the long ball," so prepare for an offseason of impossible trade proposals for Rodgers or Watson. Meanwhile with the cap shrinking a cost controlled game manager who can grind, use his feet a little, and show some accuracy in the 5-25 yard range is probably the best use of our resources.

because kraft is cheap, and BB is ego driven and has lost his touch and because no one wants to play here

stop making sense!

it depends on what you want -- a thrower or a leader.

Chicks dig championships more, IMO.

I feel like every one of these QB threads boils down to the same thing: What do the Patriots think they're going to have available in the draft? If they are confident they can get a guy they believe in, either at 15, later, or by trading up a few spots, then it opens a lot of options at QB because they don't NEED the long term solution in free agency.

In that scenario, guys like Fitzpatrick, Mariota, Brissett, or Trubisky are fine, because they can be signed to short term deals and it's easy to move on from them whenever (and if) the kid is ready. Not all of them would want that if they have a chance at something longer somewhere else, but at least one of them will want to prove their value, or in Fitz' case, be Jake Taylor from Major League 2 and say, "Sigh... one more year..."

If they don't think they can get someone they like in the draft, they may be more aggressive with a JG or similar type of QB deal. It's just hard to say right now because the Super Bowl hasn't even been played yet... there's going to be a lot of movement in the new league year, and a lot of it will come out of nowhere.

Brissett is a UFA who would cost no draft assets

Brissett should also not break the bank financially, which will allow us to stiffen the D and stock up on offensive personnel

Brissett isn't a prolific thrower, but look at our targets, a prolific thrower would be wasted here.

In Indianapolis. Brissett had his team at 5-2 in 2019 before a freak injury (his own lineman forced back into his leg) derailed his season. His TD-pick rate was very good, which since he wasn't a big touchdown thrower means he kept his mistakes right to a minimum and was fundamentally sound.

Frankly, I think Brissett and Meyers would have chemistry, and Edelman is still knocking about, so Brissett won't be without targets. Both also operate in the part of the field where Brissett is accurate.

we're also well set up personnel wise to move to a more grinding defensive style of ball. Especially if we don't spend our firsst rounder on a QB and instead beef up our LB corps.

In our jersey Brissett's job would be to manage the team, throw to set up the run, and take advantage of our wealth of RB talent (Harris/Michel/Burkhead/White might be the deepest RB corps in the league) to create offense. This is something he was successful doing in Indianapolis in 2019 with a similar personnel package, at least until he took a linesman to the knee.

It's as good a bet as any other. Personally I'd love to see it tried just for the chance to rub Indy's nose in the fact that they benched the guy for Phillip "the Bridesmaid" Rivers.
He's a UFA, so he'd cost a comp pick, yes?

I'd prefer Jimmy, but if that can't happen, Brissett might be the best option left, and I think they can win a lot of games with him.

So they get him, Stidham is the back-up/competition (have they really given up on him, or were they afraid of breaking him?), and they draft a prospect in round 2 or 3 this year (my money's on the kid from Georgia, but it'll take him a couple of years to be ready).

EDIT: My guess is that someone ponies up for bigger $$$ and years for Trubisky. He was pretty good there for a while, so some team will think they can fix him and make him into a quality QB.

Will he take vet min?

I feel like every one of these QB threads boils down to the same thing: What do the Patriots think they're going to have available in the draft? If they are confident they can get a guy they believe in, either at 15, later, or by trading up a few spots, then it opens a lot of options at QB because they don't NEED the long term solution in free agency.

In that scenario, guys like Fitzpatrick, Mariota, Brissett, or Trubisky are fine, because they can be signed to short term deals and it's easy to move on from them whenever (and if) the kid is ready. Not all of them would want that if they have a chance at something longer somewhere else, but at least one of them will want to prove their value, or in Fitz' case, be Jake Taylor from Major League 2 and say, "Sigh... one more year..."

If they don't think they can get someone they like in the draft, they may be more aggressive with a JG or similar type of QB deal. It's just hard to say right now because the Super Bowl hasn't even been played yet... there's going to be a lot of movement in the new league year, and a lot of it will come out of nowhere.
I see 2 ways to go.
And I see this as priority #1 with no alternative to fixing it this year because this is the year we have the resources.

First option: Go get the proven veteran you can win with. Not a guy who stated sometimes but stinks. A trade for Watson, Rodgers, Ryan.

Second option: Get a guy you think could be the man but hadn’t been yet. Jimmy, Mariotta, Carr, and even guys like Darnold or Winston if you think they failed because of where they were AND DRAFT A QB IN ROUND 1 (or trade up to the top of round 2 for a guy like jones) Veteran has the chance to become the man rookie waiting in the wings to take the job.
I think Tyrod Taylor is 100% NOT the guy I am referring to but the chargers thought he was so this is basically their plan.
Not a slug to play badly whole the rookie learns ( forget newton, fitz, brisset, etc) but a guy you think has a chance to take the job and keep it.

Will he take vet min?
He'll take a lot less than most other options because he's still in the prove-it phase of his career. I think you might be able to get Brissett for 12-15M/year, similar to what the Colts were paying him, which keeps your options open to stack the D or add another pass catching threat, and isn't going to overburden the cap if a young 2nd rounder emerges and takes over the team.

If Brissett is what I think he is he's eventually going to demand more but he's not in a position to do that right now.

He'll take a lot less than most other options because he's still in the prove-it phase of his career. I think you might be able to get Brissett for 12-15M/year, similar to what the Colts were paying him, which keeps your options open to stack the D or add another pass catching threat, and isn't going to overburden the cap if a young 2nd rounder emerges and takes over the team.

If Brissett is what I think he is he's eventually going to demand more but he's not in a position to do that right now.

the thing that factors in here is what happens with the Colts and their QB situation - if things shake out where they don't get their guy, I think they'll try and resign him

i mean hell, i've seen rumors that the colts might look at Darnold for crying out loud.....nothing is going to surprise me with the QB position at this point

At that price point? Absolutely not.

the thing that factors in here is what happens with the Colts and their QB situation - if things shake out where they don't get their guy, I think they'll try and resign him

i mean hell, i've seen rumors that the colts might look at Darnold for crying out loud.....nothing is going to surprise me with the QB position at this point
I don't think so. There's a prospect that they've been developing for a couple years named Jacob Eason that I think may have the eye of the Colts' brass. And if they do choose to go with a veteran I have a hunch they don't want to go back to Brissett's more grinding offensive style. Irsay seems to have an aversion to that style of football, afraid fans find it unattractive. (on the other hand, Belichick one defined himself by it and the Patriots are past masters of it)

I don't think so. There's a prospect that they've been developing for a couple years named Jacob Eason that I think may have the eye of the Colts' brass. And if they do choose to go with a veteran I have a hunch they don't want to go back to Brissett's more grinding offensive style. Irsay seems to have an aversion to that style of football, afraid fans find it unattractive. (on the other hand, Belichick one defined himself by it and the Patriots are past masters of it)

i've seen so many names as potentially tied to them, though, that it almost seems like they are starting to panic already lol

i like the brissett option, though, if his price is right or even close to right

Would you say 12.5M would be the "right" price? It's a bit less than he was paid last year to back up Rivers, and less than a third what the big names are getting.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back