PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Athletic: 50 coaches and evaluators rank the NFL QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watson a top 5?? Ah, NO.

The other 4 guys have all won the Super Bowl. Quite frankly the Houston Texans are over hyped bunch of chokers.

Brees and Rodgers are in only on past performance. Brees has faded down the stretch bigtime in the last 2 NFL seasons. We saw the same tired passing arm drop off in Peyton Mannings game towards the retirement cliff. Rodgers act has worn thin in Green Bay and I would be very surprised to see him him in another Super Bowl. Perhaps on another team like a Dallas which bears watching since Dak hasnt singed a new contract.

The windows are closing on Rodgers and Brees.

I believe that Roethlisberger has another Super Bowl in him if Pittsburgh can iron out the WR and RB positions. Pitts defense was good last season.

Brees at 4 is fine by me at this point. He isn't as good as he was and was never the best QB in the game. That being said he is a HOFer and still playing very close to that level.

Here is how i rank them and I won't rank everybody. This is from last year but you also need to factor in prior years to a degree. For instance Tannehill had a great year last year on a short season, but we all know that isn't who he is. He just had a hot period and not a long enough sample size to begin to average it out. So it will be a weighted ranking looking mostly at this year but also keeping the last few years in mind.

Tier 1 Played at a HOF level

#1 Mahomes (Was injured part of the year but when healthy he is the best right now).
#2 Wilson
#3 Brady (Subpar stats but did amazing with a horrible cast. Had a few bad games though).

Tier 2 Played at a Pro Bowl level

#4 Brees (Did amazing well with maybe the arguably 2nd most talent cast).
#5 Rodgers (He should be higher but too often plays risk averse).
#6 Lamar Jackson (A huge threat but beats up on bad defenses. His inability to get anything going in the playoff 2 years in a row keeps him from being higher).

Tier 3 played at a typical top 10 level

No one deserves this tier. IMO there was a drop off from the top 6. Frankly I don't like the people below this point getting a top 10 number, as i don't think they deserve it.

Tier 4 played at a good level

#7 Watson - (Percent numbers are good but failed to lead a talented offense to points)
#8 Wentz - (Same. Needs to step it up, just like Watson)
#9 Cousins - (This generations Drew Bledsoe in an easier passing era. Good enough to be in demand but not 'the guy')
#10 Stafford - (A less slightly less consistent Cousins)
#11 Ryan - (He's hot then he's cold, put the pressure on and watch him fold! Fools gold!)
#12 Dak - (The team that pays him will enjoy playoff runs often but rarely see the top 4 and never win it all).
#13 Rivers - (Fell off this year, but maybe he has more left? Will wait and see)

Tier 5 Meh

#14 Jimmy (He did well enough at times. Very inconsistent through)
#15 Murray (Consider his offense and D I think he did pretty well)

There are a few more in 5th tier and then I'd make a 6th and maybe 7th tier... But i'm not ranking anyone else and i don't feel they deserve it at this point.

How is Stafford #10 and ahead of Ryan?

Last year’s list from Athletic is strange. Rivers tier 1?

Tier 1: Team Wins Because of Him

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Tom Brady

3. Drew Brees

4. Patrick Mahomes

5. Andrew Luck

6. Philip Rivers

7. Ben Roethlisberger

8. Russell Wilson
Tier 2: Has a Hole or Two in his Game

1. Matt Ryan

2. Carson Wentz

3. Matthew Stafford
T-12. Deshaun Watson

T-12. Jared Goff

1. Baker Mayfield
Tier 3: Needs Strong Running Game and/or Defense to Win

1. Cam Newton

2. Kirk Cousins

3. Dak Prescott

4. Nick Foles

5. Jimmy Garoppolo

6. Derek Carr

7. Joe Flacco
T-22. Andy Dalton

T-22. Jameis Winston

1. Eli Manning

2. Mitchell Trubisky

3. Marcus Mariota

4. Sam Darnold
Tier 4: Unproven or Best Suited as Backup

1. Lamar Jackson

2. Josh Allen

3. Ryan Fitzpatrick

4. Case Keenum

5. Josh Rosen

The more I look at it the more I think the only 2 players that should be in 'Tier 1' are the 2 that were unanimously selected.

The more I look at it the more I think the only 2 players that should be in 'Tier 1' are the 2 that were unanimously selected.

That would be my opinion as well.

Possible discussion of Lamar Jackson as well. But sample size and playoff choking argue against it.

Also not sure how Dak Prescott gets into tier 2. How do you have a top 10 defense, and elite running back and only go 8-8 with a top 10 QB?:headscratch:

Matthew Stafford as well. He ha a career losing record, even if you exclude his first 2 years in the league when he went 3-10 :rofl:

Also confused why people think Teddy Bridgewater doesn't deserve to be in tier 3. He went 5-0 last year filling in for tier 3 for Drew Brees who is in tier 1. Honestly as mentioned above I think its Brees that is being overrared.

Roethlisberger is also a big question mark. Can he even still throw a football?

Mahomes is by far the best football player in the world. Lamar Jackson is incredible, but I want to see how he does when he has to be the man throwing his team to victory. I'm not sure he can do it. Yet. Wilson is also amazing, but Mahomes is just on another level.

How is Stafford #10 and ahead of Ryan?

When Ryan is at his best he is better than Stafford. However Ryan is more inconsistent. Stafford is fairly steady. Ryan had an amazing offense last year and while his stats looked great it didn't lead to the points it should have. His cast was only good this year with Jones/Ridley and suddenly his stats are average and the offense is middle of the pack in one of the easiest stadiums to play in? Also back to back 7-9 years isn't good enough. His defense is bad but not absolute trash. No reason he shouldn't compete for the playoffs with that offensive cast 2 years in a row.

Stafford has actually improved as a player overall in the last 4 years since losing Calvin Johnson.

Switch em if you want. I'm just not a fan of Ryan. His cast has always been amazing but he rarely lives up to it and while he occasionally has very nice stats it doesn't translate to wins. He is a massive choker. While Stafford isn't clutch he isn't a choker the same caliber than Ryan is which is why I have Stafford just a smig ahead. If you think Ryan is ahead I wouldn't call you wrong though and even be willing to change my ranks to make people happy as I consider it paper thin between them in any case.

When Ryan is at his best he is better than Stafford. However Ryan is more inconsistent. Stafford is fairly steady. Ryan had an amazing offense last year and while his stats looked great it didn't lead to the points it should have. His cast was only good this year with Jones/Ridley and suddenly his stats are average and the offense is middle of the pack in one of the easiest stadiums to play in? Also back to back 7-9 years isn't good enough. His defense is bad but not absolute trash. No reason he shouldn't compete for the playoffs with that offensive cast 2 years in a row.

Stafford has actually improved as a player overall in the last 4 years since losing Calvin Johnson.

Switch em if you want. I'm just not a fan of Ryan. His cast has always been amazing but he rarely lives up to it and while he occasionally has very nice stats it doesn't translate to wins. He is a massive choker. While Stafford isn't clutch he isn't a choker the same caliber than Ryan is which is why I have Stafford just a smig ahead. If you think Ryan is ahead I wouldn't call you wrong though and even be willing to change my ranks to make people happy as I consider it paper thin between them in any case.

Stafford has been in the league for 11 years.

He has 3 playoff appearances and 0 playoff wins. No way he belongs in tier 2.

Jimmy Garoppolo is another interesting guy getting little discussion. If the 49ers hang on and win the SB does he get into tier2?

How do you justify a player who has no career playoff wins in 11 years as being better than JG?

Tiers for projected starters in 2021

1. Elite

Brady
Mahomes
Wilson

2. Elite Much of the Time
Jackson
Rodgers

3. Very Good
Brees
Ryan
Watson
Wentz

4. Good
Garoppolo
Goff
Newton
Prescott
Tannehill
Roethlisberger

5. Average or Slightly Above
Bridgewater
Cousins
Rivers

6. Jury is Out and Not Good (Team in Denial)
Allen
Carr
Darnold
Mayfield
Stafford
Trubisky

Not Sure Yet
Burrow
Haskins
Herbert
Jones
Lock
Minishew
Murray
Stidham
Tua

My rankings, slightly updated, from a comparison of QBs vs Jimmy Garoppolo

Clearly better the JG
(1) Mahomes
(2) Wilson
(3) Jackson - Continued playoff choking could move him down. Also basically one good hit from being RG4

Same Level as Jimmy G
Aaron Rodgers
Deshawn Watson (Lets see how he looks without Hopkins)
Matt Ryan
Jimmy G - This may seem high, but if 49ers hold on in the SB does anyone question this ranking? Obviously small sample size could change this.
Wentz

Worse than JG:
Ryan Tannehill (Sorry but 10 good games in 7 years isn't getting a top mark)
Kirk Cousins (His #1 receiver shot his way out of town because he sucks)
Matthew Stafford - in 11 years no playoff wins, losing record overall (even discounting first 2 years)
Dak Prescott(How do you have an ~#10 defense and Elite RB and go 8-8? with a top 5 QB. You don't)
Rivers

Geriatrics whose arms could fall off at any time which makes it hard to judge
Brady
Brees
Roethlisberger - It may already have fallen off

Pretty much no one else worth ranking.

That would be my opinion as well.

Possible discussion of Lamar Jackson as well. But sample size and playoff choking argue against it.

Also not sure how Dak Prescott gets into tier 2. How do you have a top 10 defense, and elite running back and only go 8-8 with a top 10 QB?:headscratch:

Matthew Stafford as well. He ha a career losing record, even if you exclude his first 2 years in the league when he went 3-10 :rofl:

Also confused why people think Teddy Bridgewater doesn't deserve to be in tier 3. He went 5-0 last year filling in for tier 3 for Drew Brees who is in tier 1. Honestly as mentioned above I think its Brees that is being overrared.

Roethlisberger is also a big question mark. Can he even still throw a football?

Bridgewater doesn’t belong near tier 3 right now. Going 5-0 doesn’t mean more than many other QBs entire careers. One of those wins was a 12-10 win over DAL. And the SEA game the DEF/STs scored more than the offense. Add in he throws the ball downfield less than any QB in the NFL, and there is no actual reason to put him anywhere near proven or even some unproven QBs.

Brady will be higher once he gets used to the speed of the pro game :D

Seriously... it is funny seeing guys still irked by perceived slights to Brady's greatness. I am fine if he re-proves how greatly great he is. I am fine if he falls on his face.

I'm sure he'll come back for a one-day deal to retire a Patriot... until then, my days if defending the GOAT's goatiness are in the rearview... thank GAWD lol.

I don't think they play this season, but if they do, it will be interesting to watch Brady with that loaded offense.

Bridgewater doesn’t belong near tier 3 right now. Going 5-0 doesn’t mean more than many other QBs entire careers. One of those wins was a 12-10 win over DAL. And the SEA game the DEF/STs scored more than the offense. Add in he throws the ball downfield less than any QB in the NFL, and there is no actual reason to put him anywhere near proven or even some unproven QBs.

If Sam Darnold, Daniel Jones, and Josh Allen :headscratch: get into tier 3, I don't know why anyone would complain about Bridgewater being there too.

Updyke just died and you just happen to pop up?

Trust me you can gain attention from your handle without killing someone. I know.

Welcome to the board murderer.

If Sam Darnold, Daniel Jones, and Josh Allen :headscratch: get into tier 3, I don't know why anyone would complain about Bridgewater being there too.

Probably because it’s been 5 years since he was given a starting QB job.
Updyke just died and you just happen to pop up?

Trust me you can gain attention from your handle without killing someone. I know.

Welcome to the board murderer.

Uhhh....what? What did I do now?

Probably because it’s been 5 years since he was given a starting QB job.

Uhhh....what? What did I do now?
The guy who poisoned toomers corner just died, still owed like 800K in fines I believe.

I’d like to point out the Bears passed on two QBs who are ranked in tier 1 including the best QB in football to draft a QB who is in the middle of the pack in tier 4. And it wasn’t like people didn’t know Tribinsky was going to suck in the NFL.

Mahomes is by far the best football player in the world. Lamar Jackson is incredible, but I want to see how he does when he has to be the man throwing his team to victory. I'm not sure he can do it. Yet. Wilson is also amazing, but Mahomes is just on another level.

Mahomes and Wilson are passing QB's who can run. Jackson is a running QB who can pass. If Jackson can stay healthy he has a shot at them in the future.

One of the problems comparing QB's is the talent they have at their disposal. Mahomes has the best imo.

Brady has no business being in the top tier after last season. This isn’t a ranking of track record it’s a ranking of right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back