PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Athletic: 50 coaches and evaluators rank the NFL QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to point out the Bears passed on two QBs who are ranked in tier 1 including the best QB in football to draft a QB who is in the middle of the pack in tier 4. And it wasn’t like people didn’t know Tribinsky was going to suck in the NFL.

Darko Mitchičić

People don’t seem to understand what crapshoot means in this context.

Take any given draft class and look at players 60-69. About half will work out to be starters (I think - maybe the percentages are a little different.) But take a look at the 10 and tell me which 5. That’s a crapshoot. There is no single variable that is consistently going to tell you which players will be good, else they would not have dropped that far down the draft.

But the draft overall is not a crapshoot at all. Better draft position means higher likelihood of success. If it were a crapshoot, just trade your first round pick for fifteen seventh rounders.

People don’t seem to understand what crapshoot means in this context.

Take any given draft class and look at players 60-69. About half will work out to be starters (I think - maybe the percentages are a little different.) But take a look at the 10 and tell me which 5. That’s a crapshoot. There is no single variable that is consistently going to tell you which players will be good, else they would not have dropped that far down the draft.

But the draft overall is not a crapshoot at all. Better draft position means higher likelihood of success. If it were a crapshoot, just trade your first round pick for fifteen seventh rounders.
I thought we were just making fun of Elway and Darko.

Also confused why people think Teddy Bridgewater doesn't deserve to be in tier 3. He went 5-0 last year filling in for tier 3 for Drew Brees who is in tier 1.

You're onto something....Teddy is big-time and a baller -- he's going to blow some minds.

Probably because it’s been 5 years since he was given a starting QB job.

Teddy has never been "given" anything but has in fact earned the starting job with 2 different NFL teams...

...keep your crow eating bib handy, massive servings coming your way.

Last edited:
Bridgewater doesn’t belong near tier 3 right now. Going 5-0 doesn’t mean more than many other QBs entire careers.

QB's drafted in round-1 who also go on to make even a single Pro-Bowl are as rare as hen's teeth...

...Teddy is one of the few.

His career was already accomplished and on a terrific trajectory when he suffered a fluke injury and against long-odds he has come all the way back and usurped the position of your favorite player of all time!

You really should recuse yourself from commenting on Big Time Teddy --- you're so conflicted it is impossible for you to comment in any sort of any sort of logical or impartial manner.

Last edited:
QB's drafted in round-1 who also go on to make even a single Pro-Bowl are as rare as hen's teeth...

His career was already accomplished and on a terrific trajectory when he suffered a fluke injury and against long-odds he has come all the way back and usurped the position of your favorite player of all time!

You really should recuse yourself from commenting on Big Time Teddy --- you're so conflicted it is impossible for you to comment in any sort of any sort of logical or impartial manner.

I think the real thing is that tier 3 is not exactly illustrious company

1. Baker Mayfield
  2. Josh Allen
  3. Teddy Bridgewater
  4. Sam Darnold
  5. Daniel Jones
  6. Nick Foles
Those are the players around Bridgewater. I mean really below Josh Allen... :rofl:

I think the real thing is that tier 3 is not exactly illustrious company

1. Baker Mayfield
  2. Josh Allen
  3. Teddy Bridgewater
  4. Sam Darnold
  5. Daniel Jones
  6. Nick Foles
Those are the players around Bridgewater. I mean really below Josh Allen... :rofl:

He'll be moving up, just watch.

So many folks seem to want to run Teddy down without having any real understanding of his background (or any understanding at all) and how good he really is.

Panthers fans have a phrase to describe the Cam fans who are in it for Cam first, and the team second (if at all)....they call 'em "nut huggers". I think that subset of "fans" is where the vast majority of the criticism of Teddy is generated.

This guy is really really good and personally I believe the deal he signed will end up being a steal for Rhule & Co.

You're onto something....Teddy is big-time and a baller -- he's going to blow some minds.
Teddy has never been "given" anything but has in fact earned the starting job with 2 different NFL teams...

...keep your crow eating bib handy, massive servings coming your way.

He'll be moving up, just watch.

So many folks seem to want to run Teddy down without having any real understanding of his background (or any understanding at all) and how good he really is.

Panthers fans have a phrase to describe the Cam fans who are in it for Cam first, and the team second (if at all)....they call 'em "nut huggers". I think that subset of "fans" is where the vast majority of the criticism of Teddy is generated.

This guy is really really good and personally I believe the deal he signed will end up being a steal for Rhule & Co.
Don't stop your on "NBA JAM" type fire

Seriously? This is the best your troll mind can do?

He was an alternate of an alternate on the largest Pro Bowl roster in history due to so many players opting out. He had to have had the worst Pro Bowl season in modern NFL history, but he was surrounded by a very good team so they succeeded in spite of his pedestrian QB play. He was 22nd in passing yardage and 26th in passing TDs that season. He went to the Pro Bowl because his team went 11-5 because Adrian Peterson led the NFL in rushing yardage and TDs with nearly 1500 yards and 11 TDs while they had the #5 overall defense. Teddy was just along for the ride. Cam has an MVP and 3 legit Pro Bowls. Teddy got to go because every QB worth a damn said no.....nice example.

While you’re describing Cam fans or Panther fans, tell us your story about how you suddenly joined a Panther site on March 3. Right when the rumors of Cam being let go got really going. Troll until the exact day that Cam
Signs with the Pats. Why is that? What possible reason would a Panther fan or even a Teddy fan, have on this forum. Those only one thing in common with those two places. The same guy you continue to troll on here. You couldn’t even handle that ridiculous response without bringing him up.

And I saw Bridgewater in HS. What hidden gems are there that people don’t see. He throws for the fewest air yards of any QB by a good bit.

And I saw Bridgewater in HS. What hidden gems are there that people don’t see. He throws for the fewest air yards of any QB by a good bit.
Hey...no shyt? I went to Bridgewater High School...no gems but a we had a cool panther mascot...

Seriously?

While you’re describing Cam fans or Panther fans, tell us your story about how you suddenly joined a Panther site on March 3. Right when the rumors of Cam being let go got really going. Troll until the exact day that Cam
Signs with the Pats. Why is that?

And I saw Bridgewater in HS.

Yup. You can whine about it all you like but the facts remain that Teddy was a 1st Round pick and a Pro Bowl selection (who was destined for many more until badly injured).

2nd paragraph doesn't make much sense, feel free give it another shot after you have calmed down some.

That you "saw him in HS" is relevant in what way?

Nobody advocated more than me for the Panthers to keep Cam, period. I continue to believe the Panthers made a big mistake by cutting ties and I hope he plays great going forward and rubs Tepper's nose in it.

That said, that he does so is in no way guaranteed and it's OK to discuss the reasons why he might not.

You said: "Or maybe some fans are so insecure, that they interpret any comment into a “shot” so they can defend whatever they feel is being slighted."

You may want to take a look in the mirror.

Question: If Teddy balls out and plays himself into a long-term contract with the Panthers will you apologize for all the baseless and unnecessary vitriol you have hurled his way?

QBs drafted in round 1, 2012-17 (pro bowl in bold)

Andrew Luck
Robert Griffith III
Ryan Tannehill

Brandon Weeden
EJ Manuel
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Jameis Winston

Marcus Mariota
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz

Paxton Lynch
Mitch Trubisky
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson

Andrew Luck
Robert Griffith III
Ryan Tannehill

Brandon Weeden
EJ Manuel
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Jameis Winston

Marcus Mariota
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz

Paxton Lynch
Mitch Trubisky
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson

The study I looked at presented a larger sample size (20-year time-frame) and was offering up analysis going into the 2014 NFL Draft (the year Teddy B. was drafted), link is here: NFL Draft: Round-by-Round QB Study

In that 20-year time-frame there were 49 QB's selected in round-1 and of that group 19 eventually made a Pro Bowl...

...put another way, on-average less than 1 per year.

An interesting quote from the analysis:

"For future drafts, Wilson may have broken the height discrimination against quarterbacks, but history still shows he will be an outlier. It's true you can get a quarterback later in the draft, but he's more likely to turn out to be Curtis Painter, Mike McMahon, B.J. Symons or that guy from The Bachelor than the next Wilson or Brady. If you want a franchise quarterback, the top of the draft is still the first place to look.

Fortunately, that's where teams are looking with 23 of them currently having a top 40 pick on the roster. That number should increase this week unless you believe certain draftniks who are trying to push Teddy Bridgewater into the third round. Then when Bridgewater, long considered the best quarterback in this class, does get drafted much lower than expected and goes on to have a good career, someone will have the nerve to go on TV one day and say "see, you can get a franchise quarterback later in the draft.""

Ultimately Teddy was drafted in the 1st round.

Last edited:
Yup. You can whine about it all you like but the facts remain that Teddy was a 1st Round pick and a Pro Bowl selection (who was destined for many more until badly injured).

2nd paragraph doesn't make much sense, feel free give it another shot after you have calmed down some.

That you "saw him in HS" is relevant in what way?

Nobody advocated more than me for the Panthers to keep Cam, period. I continue to believe the Panthers made a big mistake by cutting ties and I hope he plays great going forward and rubs Tepper's nose in it.

That said, that he does so is in no way guaranteed and it's OK to discuss the reasons why he might not.

You said: "Or maybe some fans are so insecure, that they interpret any comment into a “shot” so they can defend whatever they feel is being slighted."

You may want to take a look in the mirror.

Question: If Teddy balls out and plays himself into a long-term contract with the Panthers will you apologize for all the baseless and unnecessary vitriol you have hurled his way?

If a replacement for a replacement Pro Bowl and a 6-year old fluff piece that has absolutely nothing to do with his NFL career is all you got, it’s time for your next board.

Ignore it all you want. Why are you here if
Not to troll Cam. Let’s hear it. I’ve got every post you made on the Huddle and none of them wanted Cam to stay. Why not stay there if you’re a huge Teddy or Panther fan? Yet the minute he signs with Pats you dart over here and don’t even go back And 80% of your posts are trashing Cam. Again, why is that? I told everyone you were a troll from day one. Let’s see how long that lasts. It’s pretty easy to see your agenda. I just happen to have proof.

If a replacement for a replacement Pro Bowl and a 6-year old fluff piece that has absolutely nothing to do with his NFL career is all you got...

Why are you so invested in knocking Teddy?

Me personally I'm pulling for both QB's to excel this season.

Last edited:
Why are you so invested in knocking Teddy?

Is it possible you're a nut hugger and see every constructive comment about Teddy as a "shot" at Cam?

Me personally I'm pulling for both QB's to excel this season.

I don’t care about Teddy. It’s called giving an opinion on a player. Which hasn’t ever changed from day one. Ask folks on here if they would be happy giving 34M guaranteed and 21M/yr to QB the Pats. I don’t think you going to like the answer.

Now, please explain why you are here? And why did you leave(and never return) the day Cam signed with NE. Sorry you left a trail. Would you like me to post the screen shot of joined March 3 and last visit June 29. Teddy’s not here. Panthers aren’t here. What could possibly lead you here? Considering I spent 5 years on that same board and refused to discuss Cam at all, what makes me this nut.hugger. I’m just pointing out your previous(and ongoing) trollish behavior. And all the info confirming it that you keep on trying to deflect from.

Attachments

• F6EBBF7F-0F28-49AE-BA19-43DF54D0BDED.jpeg
    F6EBBF7F-0F28-49AE-BA19-43DF54D0BDED.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3

Andrew Luck
Robert Griffith III
Ryan Tannehill

Brandon Weeden
EJ Manuel
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
Jameis Winston

Marcus Mariota
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz

Paxton Lynch
Mitch Trubisky
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson

You could have just pointed out the Mitch "2 slots above Jarret Stidham" Trubisky was a pro bowler.o_O

I don’t care about Teddy. It’s called giving an opinion on a player. Which hasn’t ever changed from day one. Ask folks on here if they would be happy giving 34M guaranteed and 21M/yr to QB the Pats. I don’t think you going to like the answer.

Now, please explain why you are here? And why did you leave(and never return) the day Cam signed with NE. Sorry you left a trail. Would you like me to post the screen shot of joined March 3 and last visit June 29. Teddy’s not here. Panthers aren’t here. What could possibly lead you here? Considering I spent 5 years on that same board and refused to discuss Cam at all, what makes me this nut.hugger. I’m just pointing out your previous(and ongoing) trollish behavior. And all the info confirming it that you keep on trying to deflect from.

Too funny...you don't care about Teddy, right.

Guys, as Patriots fans would you be pleased (or displeased) to have Teddy as your QB?

Post anything you like pal....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes