PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking at the 2016-2018 Drafted QBs After Three Seasons

I see it differently, at this point in the franchise's arc : I don't care about the playoffs... I want the team to be champ or work towards being champs. There are plenty of those 14 teams that, while in the playoffs, aren't that close. I "get it" : give yourself a chance etc... but there are some of those "top 32 QBs" that are glorified placeholders/make-the-playoff-but-nothing-else types. No thanks.

If NE is shut out of the playoffs until 2026 - then I might reassess what I'm looking for in a QB. For today, "making the playoffs" isn't nearly enough.

(EDIT : Wentz doesn't get PHI to the 2017 season SB even if healthy, imo...)
So then what are you looking for? A QB who can give you a chance to win the super bowl every single year? In recent history that is basically Brady, Manning, and Mahomes. That's three guys in the last 20 years and two of them were first round picks.

Even of the 11 of 14 this year you can argue that Trubisky is a place holder and maybe Rivers but Rivers was a franchise guy for 15 years. Outside of that the other 9 are entrenched QB's on their team.

As for Wentz he was probably the MVP before he hurt his knee. I think you're letting recency bias skew your view of his 2017 season.

Last edited:
Lack of Purple is the true telling point... people obsessing over QBs each draft don't often follow up to see that they (usually) disappoint...

Which is why its not advised to tank and throw the fate of your franchise on a 22 year old fresh out of college. You could end up with a Mahomes (extremely unlikely), or you could end up with a Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russel, Josh Rosen, Johhny Manziel, etc etc etc

A miss on a top QB pick like that would set your franchise back 5 years

This is an interesting discussion. It got me thinking about the strength of the Patriots which has always been BB's demand for paying attention to details and leading through example. The form of leadership he seems to value is when guys are selfless and put the good of the team ahead of themselves, if the QB doesn't have that inclination then I don't think the Patriots will draft him at #15. At a higher draft slot they may change the talent to selflessness ratio a bit. But i think that is what BB means by him saying he only wants to coach his type of player. It doesn't always work out, but the amount of times it has will satisfy my Patriots fandom needs.

Which is why its not advised to tank and throw the fate of your franchise on a 22 year old fresh out of college. You could end up with a Mahomes (extremely unlikely), or you could end up with a Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russel, Josh Rosen, Johhny Manziel, etc etc etc

A miss on a top QB pick like that would set your franchise back 5 years

Genius drafting is more about avoiding huge mistakes vs finding great players. the guys mentioned all had warning sirens on their head.

The key with Brady is the Pats were very specific in what they were looking for.

Just think. In the past three years, Mahomes will play his final season game against a QB BB drafted.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back