PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2012 Combine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: * The 2012 Combine Drills!! *

Am I weird for being overly interested in how Bruce Irvin's and Andre Branch's workouts go? I'm not considering either with a 1st rounder but they are probably the only 2nd round OLBs I'm interested in.

Just read that article about Bruce Irvin on WEEI.com. Seems like he's a grown man but it looks like West Virginia found him most effective as a situational pass rusher which probably doesn't bode well for his draft stock. He only played 10-15 snaps a game. Still worth a look in the late rounds.

For those who are speculating about OLmen in the draft. Forget it. Light and Waters will be back. Those reports are grist for the mill and started by old vets who want to delay getting to camp for as long as possible. Light isn't going to get $3.5MM running fund raisers.

So with that in mind consider the following. The Pats will likely have 9 OLmen on the 53. They already will have the following locks:

Light
Mankins
Connolly
Waters
Volmer
Solder
Cannon
Wendell

That leaves only one more roster spot and I think the Pats are very high on McDonald, who GB thought was going to be their C of the future.

The only way that the Pats should even be bothering about OLmen for this draft is in the unlikelihood that Light and Water DO retire, and BOTH Connolly and Koppen are allowed to walk. They already have several Dante Academy guys who they've committed some time with to fight for that last roster spot. Why bother drafting another, who is very unlikely to make the team.

Ryan Wendell should be by no means whatsoever a lock. I'd rather have the bigger, stronger, younger, more athletic Nick McDonald. And after he participates in a full off-season, then the choice for me is a no-brainer.

I'd also rather have Don Thomas & Matt Kopa ahead of Wendell. The only way I'd consider Wendell for the 2012 53 is if neither Connolly nor Koppen return.

Marvin Jones benched 22, three more Mike Adams. My worry for my binky was that he's a little slight (6'2", 199 lbs) which is a worry with the emphasis we place on blocking for WR's. Looks like he might be one of the strongest WR's though. By comparison, Sanu benched 19. Ryan Broyles 21 I think.

Tight Ends have been a disappointing bunch. Best was Evan Rodriguez and he's more of a FB/HB.

I take it that James Hanna (Oklahoma) didn't look good somehow? He put up the best numbers overall.

Last edited:

Not sure we're drafting an OL this year if 20yd shuttle is one of the key tests we focus on. Last year, Nate Solder did it in 4.34s. Logan Mankins did 4.45. Dan Koppen was slower at 4.56.

This year the fastest OL was Rishaw Johnson @4.53.

Ben Jones - 5.12 - slooowwww.
Cordy Glenn - 5.00
Kevin Zeitler - 4.61 (not bad)
Philip Blake - 4.65 (my new OL binky)
David DeCastro - 4.56

Ben Jones was comfortably the slowest on display. The next slowest was 5.00 dead.

Mayock is def. on the Phil Blake bandwagon now; he named him as the OLman who most helped himself today. Good all-around workout #s, and good enough ht/wt/arm #s. He's prob. the #3 Center now, behind Konz & Jones. The question now becomes, at what round is he worth consideration?

Last edited:

I take it that James Hanna (Oklahoma) didn't look good somehow? He put up the best numbers overall.

He was my no 2. Orson Charles didn't look too bad. None of them made me sit up or think "I like him" as I found myself doing with some of the O/line guys.

I'm impressed with Gettis so far in the Combine. Unfortunate he's not bigger.

If NEPDraft's #s are any indication, then Gettis' only problem is that he is currently lighter than ideal.
But he should have enough height, hand size & arm length to add additional weight w/o adversly effecting his agility a whole lot.

BTW, did Gettis not lift today?

He can't catch

He can't catch

Agreed. Big problem with a TE. Overrated now.... but thats good for us. Another
player going higher than he should and someone we won't want...

If NEPDraft's #s are any indication, then Gettis' only problem is that he is currently lighter than ideal.
But he should have enough height, hand size & arm length to add additional weight w/o adversly effecting his agility a whole lot.

BTW, did Gettis not lift today?

Mayock was saying that Gettis will be a starting NFL guard in a couple of years, so that's good news for the kid. Would be a nice pickup for the Pats.

Igwenagu from UMass would be an interesting project as a late rounder or free agent. Could be a TE and play the FB position.

Yeah, I saw some of his drills this PM. I wouldn't use a draft pick on him, but I would like to see him signed as a UDFA. If he can run & block some, maybe he can become a Tony Richardson/Larry Centers-type of player.

Interesting they just ran Brewster through a drill without snapping the ball. Maybe they are taking a look at him as a guard.

They tend to do that for all centers. Not sure about guards though.

They do that b/c most most centers can play guard and some vice versa.

Tight Ends have been a disappointing bunch. Best was Evan Rodriguez and he's more of a FB/HB.

I didn't think that Rodriguez looked all that great.. Especially in the sluggo drill.

Hanna dropped easy passes in the Sluggo drill (slant and go)..

Coach B BLEW it.

This year's Crop of Wing Backs is DRY.

LAST year's Crop was LUSCIOUS.

~ Lance Kendricks
~ Jordan Cameron
~ Julius Thomas
~ Brett Brackett

There is PRECIOUS little to choose from, THIS year, now that everybody's ONTO Tight Ends...

...Which of course makes the current barren crop even MORE expensive!! :mad:

Coach B BLEW it.

~ Lance Kendricks
~ Jordan Cameron
~ Julius Thomas
~ Brett Brackett

There is PRECIOUS little to choose from, THIS year, now that everybody's ONTO Tight Ends...

Amen, being rather disappointed with the free agent TEs I think we might have to pay a lot to secure the services of Coby Fleener.

Ryan Wendell should be by no means whatsoever a lock. I'd rather have the bigger, stronger, younger, more athletic Nick McDonald. And after he participates in a full off-season, then the choice for me is a no-brainer.

I'd also rather have Don Thomas & Matt Kopa ahead of Wendell. The only way I'd consider Wendell for the 2012 53 is if neither Connolly nor Koppen return.
Actually Captain, I that thought occurred to me as well as I was writing my post, but I really don't know much about McDonald, so I didn't follow my gut. All I know about the kid is that he did a decent job for a guy who was thrust into the fray without much preparation, and that GB was pissed that they lost him.

Thanks for bring up McDonald, but the basic point still remains. Substitute McDonald for Wendell and you still have 8 players who are likely to be locks, so at best there is still only one spot open and several guys already ready to compete for it. My position is that outside of WR there is no reason to draft an offensive player in the first 4 rounds

Coach B BLEW it.

~ Lance Kendricks
~ Jordan Cameron
~ Julius Thomas
~ Brett Brackett

Yeah obviously wing back was high on our list last year. I mean, we only have the best "wing back" TE in the game. Heck, let's try and get the top 2. **** it! Let's make it three! While we're at it, let's grab another HOF QB and a few Pro Bowl OTs. Stock up every where!

We don't have a team if we field 53 wing backs.

Amen, being rather disappointed with the free agent TEs I think we might have to pay a lot to secure the services of Coby Fleener.

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY do we even need the services of the almighty Coby Fleener?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes