PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2012 Combine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: * The 2012 Combine Drills!! *

Egnew 4.53 forty, 36" vertical, 10'8" broad jump.

For those who are speculating about OLmen in the draft. Forget it. Light and Waters will be back. Those reports are grist for the mill and started by old vets who want to delay getting to. camp for as long as possible. Light isn't going to get $3.5MM running fund raisers.

So with that in mind consider the following. The Pats will likely have 9 OLmen on the 53. They already will have the following locks

Light
Mankins
Connolly
Waters
Volmer
Solder
Cannon
Wendell

That leaves only one more roster spot and I think the Pats are very high on McDonald, who GB thought was going to be their C of the future.

The only way that the Pats should even be bothering about OLmen for this draft is in the unlikelihood that Light and Water DO retire, and BOTH Connolly and Koppen are allowed to walk. They already have several Dante Academy guys who they've committed some time with to fight for that last roster spot. Why bother drafting another, who is very unlikely to make the team

In fact the only thing that really interests me as far as the offense goes is looking at the speed and acceleration of the WRs. If we are going to draft one in the first 3 rounds. I really hope its not one with a 4.6 forty, and average 3 cone times. I don't care how tall he is.

On the other hand, I'll be real curious to find out speed and acceleration times on the defensive side of the ball.

Last edited:

Interesting they just ran Brewster through a drill without snapping the ball. Maybe they are taking a look at him as a guard.

Indeed.
39.gif

Personally, I find him slightly higher than optimum for Center. So while I wouldn't rule him out, thither, by any means, I certainly like the idea of teams looking at him as an O Guard...not that he'd have a prayer on MY Board, mind you:

This Draft Class is absolutely LOADED with quality O Guards!! :rocker:

Indeed.
39.gif

Personally, I find him slightly higher than optimum for Center. So while I wouldn't rule him out, thither, by any means, I certainly like the idea of teams looking at him as an O Guard...not that he'd have a prayer on MY Board, mind you:

This Draft Class is absolutely LOADED with quality O Guards!! :rocker:

Yeah, I don't know why you'd settle for Brewster when there so much better quality out there. Unless we're trading back behind our last current pick (4th round), I don't expect us to take Brewster.

Ben Jones has been the pick of the OL so far, outstanding footwork which matches the tape.

I cranked out the Centers a couple weeks ago, and probably put more time and effort into researching Ben Jones than any player in the entire Class.

For what it's worth: the more I learned, the more I liked.

I am absolutely SOLD on the kid. Not only does he possess perfect dimensions for the gig, but...well, here's my Report, from 02.10.12:

Ben Jones brings superior Core Strength, excellent Torsion, and outstanding Launch Velocity to the table, and he also boasts intriguing Athleticism.

What impresses me most, however, is his extraordinary fusion of Intelligence and Passion: His Diagnostic Acuity and Processing Speed in Battle are impressive, as is the fact that he graduated high school early and started attending Georgia in January of 2008!!

To have that cerebral power housed in the same package as the guy who wins universal praise for his Toughness, his Tenacity, and his flat out Ferocity is very intriguing, indeed. And his tremendous Gym Rat Work Ethic showed in a clear improvement in his Core Strength as a Senior.

Jones is far from perfect, mind you: His Range is pretty good, but his Lateral Agility and Fluidity leave something to be desired. He can be beaten, out there.

Even so, this is not only a 4 Year Veteran, but a South East Conference battle-tested Leader who commands sufficient Athleticism, combined with an absolutely outstanding constellation of Intelligence, Passion, Strength, and relentless Ferocity and an utterly relentless Spirit, all combined inside a perfect frame for the position, to develop into an exceptional Center at the next level. Steal!!

McCants up next, really like this kid as a sleeper.

Yep.

McCants is, now ~ and has been, from the beginning ~ the ONLY O Tackle in the ENTIRE DRAFT that I would draft...and I would LOVE to bring him in.

Tight Ends have been a disappointing bunch. Best was Evan Rodriguez and he's more of a FB/HB.

Ryan Miller looking good.

Ryan Miller is just about the only possible add to my O Tackle list.

He's listed as an O Guard, which is HILARIOUS, but that's the position he played.

God only knows why.

But I'll be watching his tape more closely than almost anyone.

Getting ready for work, now: Will review in the morning, perhaps.

Agreed, he takes very big steps and has his weight between his feet, not over them like he should. I did like his head fakes when working against DeCastro:D

I think there will be some good O-line raw material to work with from rounds 3 on, no need to go very early on this one.

Agreed!!

All 4 ~ FOUR of my O Guard Super Binkies are 3rd and Beyond.

My 1 and only O Tackle Binky is projected for the 3rd...

Jones, of course, is projected for the late 2nd...and I've got a UFA on the wire...

Maybe it was just a bad game, but Jones was horrible at the Senior Bowl while Brewster shined..

Here's hoping it reverses their Draft Stock!! :D

And I really like McCants.

A little smaller than we like typically, but can move and bend.

Not to worry.

KALIL is smaller than we like, as was his fellow bookend, last year...

McCants has the perfect Frame ~ as has Kalil, and as had Smith ~ and he's sure to beef up, and beef up well, if we're lucky enough to get our hands on'm.

Osemele looked really good. Love drills like this.

Me, too!! :rocker:

Of course, MY reasons are a bit more sinister...

I want Osemele and Glenn to ROCKET up the Boards...and put even MORE distance between them and my BOYS!! :D

Does anyone know how my guy Josh Oglesby has gone in the positional drills. I know he has a horrendous 40 time (4.78), but I'm interested to see how he's gone in the drills. Its a shame he got hurt so much because he had all the potential of an elite OT. At 6'6" 338lbs with 35 5/8 inch arms he is the prototype. Unfortunately knee injuries have taken away his lateral agility.

I'm a pretty RABID fan of Wisconsin, but not necessarily of their prospects.

To be honest, my take on Oglesby is that ~ due either to bad luck or insufficient conditioning ~ his fundamental problem is Core Strength...I believe it's lack is what's caused his injuries, and it's showing no signs ~ in my eyes ~ of improving, sorry as I am to say it.

Tight Ends have been a disappointing bunch. Best was Evan Rodriguez and he's more of a FB/HB.

Even Rodriguez is a Wing Back, baby. :cool:

And he is a FORCE.

A raging STEAL in the 6th or 7th Round!! :rocker:

Am I weird for being overly interested in how Bruce Irvin's and Andre Branch's workouts go? I'm not considering either with a 1st rounder but they are probably the only 2nd round OLBs I'm interested in.

Not sure we're drafting an OL this year if 20yd shuttle is one of the key tests we focus on. Last year, Nate Solder did it in 4.34s. Logan Mankins did 4.45. Dan Koppen was slower at 4.56.

This year the fastest OL was Rishaw Johnson @4.53.

Ben Jones - 5.12 - slooowwww.
Cordy Glenn - 5.00
Kevin Zeitler - 4.61 (not bad)
Philip Blake - 4.65 (my new OL binky)
David DeCastro - 4.56

Ben Jones was comfortably the slowest on display. The next slowest was 5.00 dead.

Not sure we're drafting an OL this year if 20yd shuttle is one of the key tests we focus on. Last year, Nate Solder did it in 4.34s. Logan Mankins did 4.45. Dan Koppen was slower at 4.56.

This year the fastest OL was Rishaw Johnson @4.53.

Ben Jones - 5.12 - slooowwww.
Cordy Glenn - 5.00
Kevin Zeitler - 4.61 (not bad)
Philip Blake - 4.65 (my new OL binky)
David DeCastro - 4.56

Ben Jones was comfortably the slowest on display. The next slowest was 5.00 dead.

You're comparing OG/C shuttle times to OT shuttle times (Mankins was a LT in college).

You're comparing OG/C shuttle times to OT shuttle times (Mankins was a LT in college).

I included Dan Koppen. I was just highlighting the type of times Patriot linemen have. This years bunch don't come close (and there's plenty of college LT's in the draft this year so it is a like for like. The names I included were just some of the more likely names for the Pats. If we just take OC's, last year they ranged from 4.14 to 4.77. This year, 4.60 to 5.12.

Shuttle probably isn't the best metric for measuring Guards and Centers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes