PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thank you Giants

The Chiefs are a less talented version of those early to mid 2000s Chargers teams. Decent regular season team, but there is just something missing. Not a team I fear. Even after the week one beatdown. I blame 70-80% of that loss on Josh

its turned midnight and Alex smith just turned back into a pumpkin. I had a feeling his elite play from early in the season wasn't sustainable.

"Now we just have to take care of business, and that game against the Steelers could decide HFA"

If Jax keeps it up then the game has bigger meaning. Jax owns the head to head tie break on Pitt. And if memory serves me they'll own the tie break on the Patriots (tie on conf record, win for Jax on common opponents due to Pitt IF we lose).

Obviously this assumes Jax keeps it up and wins out on their remaining games, however, if they do then the outcome of the Patriots v Steelers game has massive ramifications for the loser. The difference between having WC weekend off or playing on WC weekend.

LOL

Oh wait, you're serious...

But yeah, you do have a valid point here. And their schedule is pretty easy due to their terrible division.

I just can't take them seriously yet. They struggled to beat the Browns today. I'll believe it when I see it.

Nobody's talking about the jags getting a BYE. We need them to start losing games,

I'm talking about the Jags getting a bye. They are down only one game to Pitt and they hold the tie break with Pitt. Not a bad place to be going into Thanksgiving.

Consider this, if we beat Pitt and Pitt loses one other game (like they almost did to the Colts), the Jags actually have a one loss bye cushion. The Jags last 6 include the 49ers, Colts, Cardinals, Texans along with the Titans and Seattle. If the Jags D is as good as it seems to be they could win 5 of their last 6.

I'm not about to sing their praises any further but with the Bills tanked and KC tanking, the Jags have earned, as of right now, being in the conversation.

LOL

Oh wait, you're serious...

But yeah, you do have a valid point here. And their schedule is pretty easy due to their terrible division.

I just can't take them seriously yet. They struggled to beat the Browns today. I'll believe it when I see it.

You'll get no argument from me that they are Pitt or the Patriots. But they've done enough to, IMHO(and this could change), be considered the third best AFC team that did beat Pitt pretty soundly.

I'm talking about the Jags getting a bye. They are down only one game to Pitt and they hold the tie break with Pitt. Not a bad place to be going into Thanksgiving.

Consider this, if we beat Pitt and Pitt loses one other game (like they almost did to the Colts), the Jags actually have a one loss bye cushion. The Jags last 6 include the 49ers, Colts, Cardinals, Texans along with the Titans and Seattle. If the Jags D is as good as it seems to be they could win 5 of their last 6.

I'm not about to sing their praises any further but with the Bills tanked and KC tanking, the Jags have earned, as of right now, being in the conversation.
Sure, in a top heavy conference (NE/PIT), one can start to ponder the idea of JAX being in the mix as an 11-5 or even 12-4 team. I find that to be reasonable.

Strong defense and a running game has taken worse teams further, that’s for sure.

I share the same skepticism regarding whether their real contenders or just pretenders, and I actually had CLE pulling off the upset this week (they came close), so I can’t say that I’m terribly concerned about them at the moment, but they are finding ways to win games, and they’re doing it with some stifling defensive play.

I think they could be anywhere from the 2-4 seed, but I think they could be one of those teams that wins their WC game at home and advances to the divisional round, sure. If they can somehow get the 2 seed and the bye, they could even win a divisional round game.

I’m guessing they get a much better QB in the spring whether that’s via players in FA (Cousins—they’ll have the loot), or a higher round pick in a QB heavy draft. Looks like they’re building something over there.

Baltimore is garbage this year, but they always end up playing us tough. Even in 2007 with a crap team, they almost won.
yup, if Ravens make it in playoff w/ wildcard, its the team taht I'd expect gives us the most trouble

...football as we should all know by now is all about matchups

I don't understand why this keeps getting brought up but I'll remind everyone once again. The only reason our offense had trouble with the ratbirds was because of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. They had the Football IQ to match any scheming Brady and the offense would try.

Now that they're gone, the ratbirds are just another team. We do not need to fear them. As for how much trouble they would give us, we haven't played them this season so we have no idea.

I blame 70-80% of that loss on Josh

LOL!

I blame 90% of that loss on a not-ready-for-primetime defense that was trying to integrate 7 new players alongside a not quite healthy HT and an underperforming Branch.

And on superb coaching by Andy Reid.

Brady completed only 44% of his attempts and yet the offense still put up 27 points.

the Pats couldn't string out a running play in that game. So what? I saw the Pats get BUTCHERED 33-0 by the Bill on opening day and go on to win the Super Bowl. It's not who lands the first punch in a heavyweight match that counts, it's who's left standing at the end. The Chiefs are beginning to resemble Punchy McStiff after today's humiliating effort.

The JAX @TEN game in wk-17 could be a big one.

Never thought I would say that, but a home win over the Chiefs pushes them back another game. So that tiebreaker against them isn't as big of a deal.

Now we just have to take care of business, and that game against the Steelers could decide HFA.

So, I'll be rooting for Green Bay and Arizona next Sunday. And probably for KC, too - to help the Pats lock up the Division Crown in wk-13 @BUF.

I don't understand why this keeps getting brought up but I'll remind everyone once again. The only reason our offense had trouble with the ratbirds was because of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. They had the Football IQ to match any scheming Brady and the offense would try.

Now that they're gone, the ratbirds are just another team. We do not need to fear them. As for how much trouble they would give us, we haven't played them this season so we have no idea.

That's not totally true. Lewis and Reed left the franchise in 2012, and we demolished them in 2013.

But in 2014, they beat Pittsburgh on the road in the playoffs, then came to Foxborough and took a 14-0 lead before we tied it up, only to watch them surge ahead again 28-14. We needed every trick in the book to win (Jules to Dola was awesome, the ineligible receiver trick).

In 2016, a middle-of-the-pack group again came into Foxborough and played a pretty competitive game as well, pulling within 3 late in the 4th before Brady made a huge play to Hogan to put us up 2 possessions late.

The last two times we played them, they had a top 10 defense as well, just like this year's version. They are one of the few teams that care about special teams as much as we do and even though their offense is putrid and 1/3 of their total yardage must come from pass interference calls, it works for them.

I don't fear them (I don't fear anyone in the league), but I think they're a well-coached team, despite Harbaby's constant crying. They are mentally tough unlike the Steelers. They make you beat them, not fumbling away the games with stupid mistakes like the Texans pre-Watson. They aren't intimidated like the Andrew Luck-led Colts.

On any given Sunday, we could lose to anyone. But if we lose to some teams, it's because we shot ourselves in the foot or made some massive mistakes. Few teams could grind out and earn a win against us, and the Ravens are one of them, the Steelers are not. We will have to hand it to the Steelers, because they're too weak to take it.

"Now we just have to take care of business, and that game against the Steelers could decide HFA"

If Jax keeps it up then the game has bigger meaning. Jax owns the head to head tie break on Pitt. And if memory serves me they'll own the tie break on the Patriots (tie on conf record, win for Jax on common opponents due to Pitt IF we lose).

Obviously this assumes Jax keeps it up and wins out on their remaining games, however, if they do then the outcome of the Patriots v Steelers game has massive ramifications for the loser. The difference between having WC weekend off or playing on WC weekend.
Until about 3:00 yesterday afternoon, I saw post after post after post from people talking about the Chiefs winning out and what that means for the Patriots. Now I am seeing a post about "if the Jaguars win out..." :rolleyes:

I said it about the Chiefs and I am saying it about the Jaguars: They are not winning out. They may be better on paper than everyone remaining on their schedule, but football games are won in the trenches, not on paper. KC looked pretty good on paper prior to the Giants game. How'd that work out for 'em?

its turned midnight and Alex smith just turned back into a pumpkin. I had a feeling his elite play from early in the season wasn't sustainable.

Travis Kelce threw an INT
Travis Kelce bobbled away a basic shovel pass, and that became an INT

Smith certainly wasn't awesome, but their "best" player was a bigger problem.

Andy Reid is a good coach who seems to have a problem delivering the 'money shot' later in the season.
in other words, he climaxes too early...

That's not totally true. Lewis and Reed left the franchise in 2012, and we demolished them in 2013.

But in 2014, they beat Pittsburgh on the road in the playoffs, then came to Foxborough and took a 14-0 lead before we tied it up, only to watch them surge ahead again 28-14. We needed every trick in the book to win (Jules to Dola was awesome, the ineligible receiver trick).

In 2016, a middle-of-the-pack group again came into Foxborough and played a pretty competitive game as well, pulling within 3 late in the 4th before Brady made a huge play to Hogan to put us up 2 possessions late.

The last two times we played them, they had a top 10 defense as well, just like this year's version. They are one of the few teams that care about special teams as much as we do and even though their offense is putrid and 1/3 of their total yardage must come from pass interference calls, it works for them.

I don't fear them (I don't fear anyone in the league), but I think they're a well-coached team, despite Harbaby's constant crying. They are mentally tough unlike the Steelers. They make you beat them, not fumbling away the games with stupid mistakes like the Texans pre-Watson. They aren't intimidated like the Andrew Luck-led Colts.

On any given Sunday, we could lose to anyone. But if we lose to some teams, it's because we shot ourselves in the foot or made some massive mistakes. Few teams could grind out and earn a win against us, and the Ravens are one of them, the Steelers are not. We will have to hand it to the Steelers, because they're too weak to take it.

All I'm saying is, we can't use how we've had a tough time against the ratbirds in the past. What has happened 2012 and earlier is not related.

There's no reason to worry about the team being trouble for us if they make the playoffs more than other teams that makes the playoffs. I haven't really watched the ratbirds this season so I don't know where they're strong. But what I do know is, Joe Flacco has been complete garbage.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back