PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TB70K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree. Not every QB gets to play 16 games a season. Some get hurt. Some get benched. Getting to the playoffs is like getting extra time in pinball or video games, it’s a chance to pad your score as a reward for doing so well.

Someone should have told that to PEDton Manning and his 9 one and done playoffs.

If a quarterback does do the things required to win and do not lead their team to victory they have failed in their job.

All the passing TDs, yards, QBR etc are irrelevant.

Exactly!

I get tired of hearing stats get so much relevance, especially when we have this subset of fans who want to disregard the playoffs, or put them in another place. Wins are all that truly count.

Exactly!

I get tired of hearing stats get so much relevance, especially when we have this subset of fans who want to disregard the playoffs, or put them in another place. Wins are all that truly count.
Wins only truly count for a team, not for any individual player, not even a QB.

It’s the only legit way to compare volume stats. Brady plays a ton of playoff games and throws for lots of yards and TD in the playoffs. Not all QBs even get the chance to do the same. But everyone plays 16 regular season games.
thats not Brady’s problem then

Stats and records are meaningless. There’s no record for Dragda’s Eye Test. That’s the important one.

Wins only truly count for a team, not for any individual player, not even a QB.

Gotta disagree with this. What you say is true a lot of the time, not all the time.
Brady's mind-blowing 4th quarter performances vs. Seahawks and falcons won us 2 SBs. W/o him, we lose both. Period. Yes,it's a team game and there were big plays by other players, notably Hightower,butler and je11. But those were single,individual plays. Brady made play after play after play under incredible pressure. Flatout the best clutch performances I've ever seen in any pro team sport in championship games.
Only a qb can really win a game by himself anymore, due to all the rules changes,points of emphasis,etc etc ad nauseum over the last 15 years. Qb is more important than it's ever been. I don't like the changes, but it is what it is.
And performances in playoff games should count much much more than performances in reg. season games.
You're facing the best competition, under much greater pressure, higher stakes and do or die format. Brady blows away all qb competition once you take their entire careers into consideration.
Reg. season stats are nowhere near as important as postseason. That's basically the difference between Brady and Manning.

Exactly!

Stats are a lazy way of stack ranking greatness.

We can all agree QBs like Brady, Montana, Elway, Staubach, Bradshaw, Unitas, Starr and Graham were the beneficiaries having played for excellent coaches who had stacked rosters on both sides of the ball. Are we to discount their legacies because of that?

For example, I get hammered all the time on this board for putting Bradshaw in the GOAT discussion. Yes, he threw a ton of interceptions. Yes he wasn't accurate. Yes the defense got them to the playoffs. However you can easily make the argument if TB12 v1 doesn't play the way he did in the 4 SBs they won, they don't win them.

Stats are a lazy way of stack ranking greatness.

We can all agree QBs like Brady, Montana, Elway, Staubach, Bradshaw, Unitas, Starr and Graham were the beneficiaries having played for excellent coaches who had stacked rosters on both sides of the ball. Are we to discount their legacies because of that?

For example, I get hammered all the time on this board for putting Bradshaw in the GOAT discussion. Yes, he threw a ton of interceptions. Yes he wasn't accurate. Yes the defense got them to the playoffs. However you can easily make the argument if TB12 v1 doesn't play the way he did in the 4 SBs they won, they don't win them.

I've always been a fan of Bradshaw. I especially didn't like the way he was ridiculed by the media and even some of his opponents even as he was winning.

Unfortunately regular season is the only thing that you can count legitimately for volume stats.

Counting stats other than wins is only relatively important and really just proves longevity

I don't understand the distinctions people make since all these stats are relative to games played and conditions.

One look at Brady's numbers in a dome should convince anyone of how much easier Manning and Brees had it.

The Bills did something smart in drafting a strong armed QB. Come up to Buffalo and try throwing in December (although it's in the 40s with no wind up here today).

I've always been a fan of Bradshaw. I especially didn't like the way he was ridiculed by the media and even some of his opponents even as he was winning.
Its ridiculous. The persona of the defense marginalized Bradshaw's perceived contribution.

From 1972 to 1980 the Steelers finished 5th, 4th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 7th, 5th and 1st in offense. You can say they had a great running game and elite WRs which is true but Terry executed the plays, called audibles, etc. Even though Noll was a defensive coach at heart, he was a coach under Sid Gillman (and Paul Brown and Don Shula) and preferred a high-risk, down-the-field passing game (with that defense and running game he could afford to). Additionally, Bradshaw was the playcaller and Noll devised the offensive gameplan which TB12 v1 would execute.

IMO Bradshaw gets way too little credit for the 70s Steelers' success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back