TB70K

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
While obviously very secondary to beating PIT, Brady does have a significant milestone coming up - he only needs 141 yards to reach 70,000 career (regular season) passing yards.

At least for now it’ll just be Brees, Goober, Farrrrrrve, and Brady at 70K+. Next closest active player is Rapistburger at 55,292.

Brady still needs 1,980 to pass Farrrrrrrrve and move to #3. And 2,082 to pass Goober to move to #2. I suspect he will never catch Brees.

And TFB just keeps rolling along. I know that one day he'll finally hang up his cleats, but man, it's amazing watching him all these years.

counting reg season only stats is a loser perspective we should abolish

It’s the only legit way to compare volume stats. Brady plays a ton of playoff games and throws for lots of yards and TD in the playoffs. Not all QBs even get the chance to do the same. But everyone plays 16 regular season games.

In 25 years nobody today will be in the top 25 of volume stats.

But everyone plays 16 regular season games.
Well, except for players whose careers spanned seasons before 1978.

I think the NFL should have two sets of books for volume stats & records. One set of books should record the actual stats as they occurred. The other set of books should normalize to whatever the current season length is. So since the current season is 16 games, every 14 game season should have the volume stats for that season multiplied by 16/14, every 12 game season should have the volume stats multiplied by 16/12, and so on.

The NFL keeps a milestone tracker for all to view...

NFL Stats: Milestone Tracker

Brees will pass him on most of these "milestones", but he will never have 5 rings and all the playoff records that #12 has obliterated in the playoffs and superbowl..

Super Bowl Records: Individual - Passing

Super Bowl Records: Individual - Passing

The SB stats pages haven't been updated since SB50. Profootball reference has SB and playoff ones which are kept up to date. Nobody over 25 has a shot of catching Brady his playoff and SB career stats. Even the current young crop of Mahomes, Goff, etc I cannot see ever getting there.

It’s the only legit way to compare volume stats. Brady plays a ton of playoff games and throws for lots of yards and TD in the playoffs. Not all QBs even get the chance to do the same. But everyone plays 16 regular season games.

Couldn't we accomplish the same thing by comparing each player's per game numbers?

Also, those extra games that Brady "gets the chance" to play were earned and are against the cream of the crop. How do we account for those?

Then there are the indoor vs outdoor stats, which imho are totally different animals.

Also, those extra games that Brady "gets the chance" to play were earned and are against the cream of the crop. How do we account for those?.
You account for them in the playoff stats section of the stats and record book.

Brady still needs 1,980 to pass Farrrrrrrrve and move to #3. And 2,082 to pass Goober to move to #2. I suspect he will never catch Brees.

I can see Brady playing longer than brees and eventually passing everyone.

Couldn't we accomplish the same thing by comparing each player's per game numbers?

Also, those extra games that Brady "gets the chance" to play were earned and are against the cream of the crop. How do we account for those?

Then there are the indoor vs outdoor stats, which imho are totally different animals.
As great as Brady is there is a such thing as "being on a great team with great coaches". So yes, Brady in part "gets a chance" for extra games.

Stats are only marginally interesting or even telling in football. Win/Loss percentage most important stat, followed by Super Bowl titles. Super Bowl appearance also speak to greatness. All these win loss stats may lean heavily on the QB performance, but they are all about the team as a whole.

Unfortunately regular season is the only thing that you can count legitimately for volume stats.

Counting stats other than wins is only relatively important and really just proves longevity
Disagree. Total career production is even more legitimate. More meaningful, under more pressure, against better competition.

Disagree. Not every QB gets to play 16 games a season. Some get hurt. Some get benched. Getting to the playoffs is like getting extra time in pinball or video games, it’s a chance to pad your score as a reward for doing so well.

You account for them in the playoff stats section of the stats and record book.

Regular season stats are for losers.

This was really meant as a joke but when I read it it didn't come across that way.

I would like to discuss the stats issue though. How do we take into account the fact that Brady plays most of his games outdoors and Brees indoors?

Last edited:
Well, except for players whose careers spanned seasons before 1978.

I think the NFL should have two sets of books for volume stats & records. One set of books should record the actual stats as they occurred. The other set of books should normalize to whatever the current season length is. So since the current season is 16 games, every 14 game season should have the volume stats for that season multiplied by 16/14, every 12 game season should have the volume stats multiplied by 16/12, and so on.
Interesting concept. I crunched numbers for OJ Simpson and his 2003 yd 14 game season would be 2289 yds for a season. For a career, he would have a prorated 13,830 yards, good for 8th.
(EDIT then again, 469 of OJ's 2003 yards came in 2 games versus NE and he would not have been able to play the PAts more than twice in a season)
Jim Brown played 4 years of 12 game seasons and 5 years of 14 games. His prorated would be 15304, good for 4th from the 11th here he is now...

Last edited:
As great as Brady is there is a such thing as "being on a great team with great coaches". So yes, Brady in part "gets a chance" for extra games.

Stats are only marginally interesting or even telling in football. Win/Loss percentage most important stat, followed by Super Bowl titles. Super Bowl appearance also speak to greatness. All these win loss stats may lean heavily on the QB performance, but they are all about the team as a whole.
If a quarterback does not do the things required to win and do not lead their team to victory they have failed in their job.

All the passing TDs, yards, QBR etc are irrelevant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye