Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Start Stidham or Newton against Chargers?

• Stidham

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Newton

Votes: 28 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take out Arizona, Vegas, SF & Denver and he's been ok at times.

(you don't sarcasm very well)
It’s surprising how most wins have been despite him and how many losses were his better games but he make a terrible play on the clutch to give it away.

Lots of baseless certainty here that Stidham blows and that the problem (unspecified) is irreparable. I don't know about that, and neither does anyone else. The evidence on him thus far may not paint a sunny picture, but there is not enough of it yet to draw firm conclusions. Give him an in-game try with full prep and all the "weapons" (! such as they are). See what he is.

But what about "the best chance to win" standard? C'mon now: it doesn't matter. The season is over. Drop those Wiggy delusions, kids. The purpose of this year is to get ready for next year.

Besides, we DO have abundant, powerfully convincing evidence that Cam - however besotted the fanboys may be by his blabbermouth charm and excellent taste in women's clothing - blows. He blows. A dozen games, 4 td passes, 9 ints, multiple blown late-game opportunities, footwork only a mother could love, balls flying all over the f----g place. Let's be real, fellas.

WTH, try Stidham. If that doesn't work, rummage through the qb hasbeens for an interesting alternative. Because Cam blows.

Off topic: Ever put tire chains on a tractor? Worst job ever. Those things are heavy. And I am old.
There is an argument that if your player sucks but you know his weaknesses it’s better than a player who hasn’t played and you discover his weaknesses on the field. I could easily see BB thinking he has a better chance to win by overcoming Newton’s issues (and he knows them well) than the unknown or lesser known flaws in Stidham.

It’s kinda like taking a hit in 16 when the dealer has a face card. It’s a crap hand but the chances of winning are better than sitting on 16.

Lots of baseless certainty here that Stidham blows and that the problem (unspecified) is irreparable. I don't know about that, and neither does anyone else. The evidence on him thus far may not paint a sunny picture, but there is not enough of it yet to draw firm conclusions. Give him an in-game try with full prep and all the "weapons" (! such as they are). See what he is.
Baseless? More like overwhelming evidence that he blows. Like I said I don’t need to actually eat a **** sandwich to know it won’t taste very good because there’s plenty of evidence of that already. So I don’t need to see Stidham play. I was one of his biggest cheerleaders on this board and I’ve now accepted reality that he stinks. It’s not that hard.

Besides, we DO have abundant, powerfully convincing evidence that Cam - however besotted the fanboys may be by his blabbermouth charm and excellent taste in women's clothing - blows. He blows. A dozen games, 4 td passes, 9 ints, multiple blown late-game opportunities, footwork only a mother could love, balls flying all over the f----g place. Let's be real, fellas.

And yet, arguably the greatest coach this sport has ever seen chooses to play Cam and keep Stidham on the bench. He has seen a lot more of the QB’s than we have. Putting 2 and 2 together ain’t rocket science folks.

The heir to Brady is not on the roster. It isn’t Cam, it isn’t Hoyer and it for sure isn’t a 4th round stiff named Stidham. Best to find a bridge QB whether it be Cam or someone else to keep this team reasonably competitive until that guy is found whoever he may be. The team will not be competitive with Stid, that I can guarantee.

The whole “put STiDham In AnD sEe WhAT hE HAs“ is an exercise in futility. He won’t be on the roster next September. So all that is to me is playing out the string to get to the end of the season and nothing more.

Last edited:
There is an argument that if your player sucks but you know his weaknesses it’s better than a player who hasn’t played and you discover his weaknesses on the field. I could easily see BB thinking he has a better chance to win by overcoming Newton’s issues (and he knows them well) than the unknown or lesser known flaws in Stidham.

It’s kinda like taking a hit in 16 when the dealer has a face card. It’s a crap hand but the chances of winning are better than sitting on 16.
Well, I guess I disagree with ol' Bill then. Cam's problems are known, all right - how could they not be? Unfortunately I think they are at this point known to be irreparable. The same cannot at this point be said of Stidham's problems.

Baseless? More like overwhelming evidence that he blows. Like I said I don’t need to actually eat a **** sandwich to know it won’t taste very good because there’s plenty of evidence of that already. So I don’t need to see Stidham play. I was one of his biggest cheerleaders on this board and I’ve now accepted reality that he stinks. It’s not that hard.

And yet, arguably the greatest coach this sport has ever seen chooses to play Cam and keep Stidham on the bench. He has seen a lot more of the QB’s than we have. Putting 2 and 2 together ain’t rocket science folks.

The heir to Brady is not on the roster. It isn’t Cam, it isn’t Hoyer and it for sure isn’t a 4th round stiff named Stidham. Best to find a bridge QB whether it be Cam or someone else to keep this team reasonably competitive until that guy is found whoever he may be. The team will not be competitive with Stid, that I can guarantee.

The whole “put STiDham In AnD sEe WhAT hE HAs“ is an exercise in futility. He won’t be on the roster next September. So all that is to me is playing out the string to get to the end of the season and nothing more.
I agree that Brady's replacement is likely not on the roster. This is a distinct likelihood in the case of Stidham, but it is a certainty in the case of the dismal Cam. Hence my view.

Reactions: sb1
I agree that Brady's replacement is likely not on the roster. This is a distinct likelihood in the case of Stidham, but it is a certainty in the case of the dismal Cam. Hence my view.
Totally understandable. Games like Cam had the other day get QBs cut. But I don’t see a real alternative right now. If Bill doesn’t think our backup QBs are an alternative then I believe him.

Well, I guess I disagree with ol' Bill then. Cam's problems are known, all right - how could they not be? Unfortunately I think they are at this point known to be irreparable. The same cannot at this point be said of Stidham's problems.
I personally wouldn't say they're irreparable. I think in the right system, Cam could be fine. Keyword, fine. I don't blame Cam for his failures here. He was a desperation signing. I know some people here will sit here and put the blame on Cam. Its fine. I just don't see it that way but understand some won't ever agree.

I personally wouldn't say they're irreparable. I think in the right system, Cam could be fine. Keyword, fine. I don't blame Cam for his failures here. He was a desperation signing. I know some people here will sit here and put the blame on Cam. Its fine. I just don't see it that way but understand some won't ever agree.
Fair enough. But here I sit, "putting the blame on Cam."

Let's review: 12 games, 4 td passes, 9 (that's NINE) interceptions, multiple late-game screwups, the footwork of a drunken toddler.

He's awful. The love here baffles me, frankly.

Well first I didn’t attribute that thinking to belichick I was simply explaining a possible explanation.

I will put it another way.
if I have to win one game and I know my QB sucks but I’ve spent most of season dealing with that and learning how to compensate for it, I may like my chances better winning despite him, than putting in a guy without experience who could be better but could also make more mistakes because im not as certain how to hide his weaknesses.

The suck you know is easier to overcome than the suck you don’t.

HOWEVER all that said we are in complete agreement that newton is pathetic.

If the Pats don't resign him, I think he retires. Don't see any team giving him a job based on how awful he has been this season.

Its doubtful that Burrows is 100% for opening day.

Its doubtful that Burrows is 100% for opening day.
Good point. I had not thought of that. And might not be available all year. Might be 2022 before we see Burrow again.

Unless we draft a new QB and get Cam on a low dollar, one year deal, I hope we go in another direction in 2021.

Fair enough. But here I sit, "putting the blame on Cam."

Let's review: 12 games, 4 td passes, 9 (that's NINE) interceptions, multiple late-game screwups, the footwork of a drunken toddler.

He's awful. The love here baffles me, frankly.
I don't think we disagree on Cam's game. I can't argue it. Cam hasn't been good enough.

I look at it from this angle: Without Cam Newton, our QBs would have been Stid and Hoyer. We probably wouldn't have been better than 5-6 with either. Its just difficult blaming a desperation signing when this season was always going to be Cam or bust. I blame the coach for not preparing better for life after Brady. I know people will disagree there too but its my opinion on the subject. You can however make the argument that there was simply no other options besides Cam so maybe it isn't the coach's fault after all. Maybe this season is just one of those seasons where we were in trouble either way.

Good point. I had not thought of that. And might not be available all year. Might be 2022 before we see Burrow again.

Unless we draft a new QB and get Cam on a low dollar, one year deal, I hope we go in another direction in 2021.

I do not believe that Cam will be back unless he lights it up these last few games. PFF predicts that the Bengals will offer Cam 20 million for 2021.

The Pats need to find another Vet QB, draft a 2021 QB preferably in the 1st round, but I'm not betting that will occur and give Stidham 1 last year to win the #1 QB job.

I do not believe that Cam will be back unless he lights it up these last few games. PFF predicts that the Bengals will offer Cam 20 million for 2021.

The Pats need to find another Vet QB, draft a 2021 QB preferably in the 1st round, but I'm not betting that will occur and give Stidham 1 last year to win the #1 QB job.

If the Bengals offer $20M to Cam I do not think it matters how he does these last few games, he is gone. Cam is a great guy, I am guessing a good mentor for Burrow, so it makes some sense. Especially if the Bengals are looking for more high draft picks.

I said in June the Pats would be looking at 9-7 with Stid and Hoyer. Lololololol

That’s totally backward. Newton is a veteran whose skills are deteriorating.
Stidham has played in one competitive game coming in at half time. You don’t want to waste more that a half to find out if you have a guy better than the worst starting passing QB in the league? Really?
You want the hope the 10 year veteran improves and think the guy who played one half has shown you his upside?
bizarre.
Agreed for the most part. At times, in small doses, Cam has got it together. In terms of mechanics, accuracy etc so I kinda lied to myself about his consistency there and actually got behind the offense but he is who he is at this point. Especially under live action. Its too late for a 180. I was just hoping we'd catch lightening in a bottle with him, combined with the OL etc
It’s surprising how most wins have been despite him and how many losses were his better games but he make a terrible play on the clutch to give it away.
People always leave out LV when talking about his bad games but it was probably his 2nd worst game behind SF. He's had 4 games that he's played very poor. 2 where he's been very good. The rest, good enough, I suppose.

Edit regarding Vegas. If they kept running the ball the outcome looks a lot different imo.

Agreed for the most part. At times, in small doses, Cam has got it together. In terms of mechanics, accuracy etc so I kinda lied to myself about his consistency there and actually got behind the offense but he is who he is at this point. Especially under live action. Its too late for a 180. I was just hoping we'd catch lightening in a bottle with him, combined with the OL etc

People always leave out LV when talking about his bad games but it was probably his 2nd worst game behind SF. He's had 4 games that he's played very poor. 2 where he's been very good. The rest, good enough, I suppose.

Edit regarding Vegas. If they kept running the ball the outcome looks a lot different imo.
I think at this point you have to accept it is what it is and try to win despite the passing game.
Truth is you can’t put him in the position to make decisions unless it’s desperation. The passing game should be mostly play action, one read, maybe 2, them either take off or throw it away. Bad things happen when cam has the ball and the designed play isn’t there.
I think the most frustrating part is the pocket awareness. I’ve never seen a qb wait until the DL is 3 feet away and jumps and then throws it right at him. He did that vs LV, last week, many times in Houston and countless other times.
I think we go in saying we need to win based upon the running game, and defense and only huge newton easy plays to throw on. Then if we get behind and gave to throw to get back in it, just pray.
There is no reason we couldn’t win each of the remaining games with defense, a running game and a high school (cica 1974) pass offense. Tall order to win ALL of them that way, but one game at a time.
It’s encouraging that our 3rd and long play book is run or wr screen. Keep Cam from losing the game and hope it’s enough seems like the best plan.

I said in June the Pats would be looking at 9-7 with Stid and Hoyer. Lololololol
You may have been right.

If the Bengals offer $20M to Cam I do not think it matters how he does these last few games, he is gone. Cam is a great guy, I am guessing a good mentor for Burrow, so it makes some sense. Especially if the Bengals are looking for more high draft picks.
But that’s a figment of someone’s imagination, no more valid than I predict Newton will get no offers from anyone

What system, the single wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes