Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Start Stidham or Newton against Chargers?

• Stidham

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Newton

Votes: 28 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody picking Stidham needs their brain examined. What has he done to be worthy of starting over Cam?
You're thinking of it the wrong way. It's not about "what he's done to prove his worth" but what Cam has not done to prove his. If this was Brian Hoyer with these stat lines people would be screaming for Stidham but somehow we've convinced ourselves that 2013 Cam Newton is coming out of that tunnel and Stidham is destined to be Curtis Painter when we haven't seen even a full game out of him

You're thinking of it the wrong way. It's not about "what he's done to prove his worth" but what Cam has not done to prove his. If this was Brian Hoyer with these stat lines people would be screaming for Stidham but somehow we've convinced ourselves that 2013 Cam Newton is coming out of that tunnel and Stidham is destined to be Curtis Painter when we haven't seen even a full game out of him
Cam hasn’t been amazing, but fixing Cam might be our best bet to finding a QB. Stidham has pissed his pants every time he’s been put out there. I’d rather continue to work with Cam and see what he has than waste more time on Stidham.

Cam is the leader of the team and they’re still in the playoff hunt.

Cam hasn’t been amazing, but fixing Cam might be our best bet to finding a QB. Stidham has pissed his pants every time he’s been put out there. I’d rather continue to work with Cam and see what he has than waste more time on Stidham.

We've seen what Cam has. For 10 games. He has nothing. Even worse, he has less than nothing because he can't even stop turning the damn ball over. A quarter against the best team on the road says everything you need to know about Stidham but after 10 games of below average play from Cam you need to "see what he has" still? Come on.

I’m fine either way. I’m not nearly as down on Stidham as most but I don’t expect him to light the world on fire either. I think Cam is two steps away from being pretty decent but every passing week I’m less confident in his ability to take those two steps (at this point it might be three steps). So I’ll trust Bill to make the best decision and root for whoever is out there.

We've seen what Cam has. For 10 games. He has nothing. Even worse, he has less than nothing because he can't even stop turning the damn ball over. A quarter against the best team on the road says everything you need to know about Stidham but after 10 games of below average play from Cam you need to "see what he has" still? Come on.
We’ve seen a full game’s worth of Stidham. He’s 13/27, 138 yards, 1 TD, 4 INTs. 36.3 rating. It’s very likely he sucks more than Cam. I think his last season at Auburn in 2018 ruined him. He reminds me of Minshew (who, given where I live, I’ve seen too much of) in the pocket - eyes drop too often at the rush, footwork gets spotty... almost as if he’s in a panic. This leads to turnovers. We’ve played winning football in games where we haven’t turned over the ball. Short of injury, I’m not sure why Bill would hand over the offense to a guy who has done just that in each appearance he’s made at this level.

We’ve seen a full game’s worth of Stidham. He’s 13/27, 138 yards, 1 TD, 4 INTs. 36.3 rating. It’s very likely he sucks more than Cam. I think his last season at Auburn in 2018 ruined him. He reminds me of Minshew (who, given where I live, I’ve seen too much of) in the pocket - eyes drop too often at the rush, footwork gets spotty... almost as if he’s in a panic. This leads to turnovers. We’ve played winning football in games where we haven’t turned over the ball. Short of injury, I’m not sure why Bill would hand over the offense to a guy who has done just that in each appearance he’s made at this level.
I don't think piecing together one or two quarters from however many games into "one full game" is any more fair than projecting Tom Brady's worst 16 games into one season and ending up with like 3 TDs and 35 picks. He's a year 2 QB with hardly any experience and hasn't gotten what a typical trusted starter would get as far as prep. And that's not really speculation nor is it a knock on the team it's just reality.

For what it's worth I agree that it won't happen and actually for the sake of consistency and how late it is in the season, at this point we might as well just ride Cam out til the end. The ship has long since sailed on a QB change but if we want a realistic shot at anything in the playoffs we won't get it from Cam

so...how soon does Stids hit the skids? first drive? first quarter? What if he settles in and throws accurate passes to the backs coming out? Open up the playbook?

If stidham was even remotely good he'd be starting by now. He sucks. It's time to accept that.

That’s totally backward. Newton is a veteran whose skills are deteriorating.
Stidham has played in one competitive game coming in at half time. You don’t want to waste more that a half to find out if you have a guy better than the worst starting passing QB in the league? Really?
You want the hope the 10 year veteran improves and think the guy who played one half has shown you his upside?
bizarre.

Newton is banged up with an abdominal strain. He has not been playing well.... 26.2 QB rating last week, poor decision making, bad throwing mechanics, no confidence....and he is going up against a cover 3 D this weekend which he has struggled with his entire career. I say Start Stidham!!! Give the guy a chance!!!!
Cam. His teammates believe in him and love him. No one has faith in Stidham. If we lose another game or two fine give him a go.

Cam seems washed or at least far from the player he once was. But I’ve also seen him string together some competent performances in recent weeks. As long as we are still in it, Cam should start.

Dont cry for me Cam Newton. Cam won't be here next season and Stidham will.

May as well let Cam finish up his last days as a Patriot. Stidham will enter 2021 as the most experienced NE QB. Even if the Pats bring in a new Vet Stidham will have the upper hand and a clear path to be the starter if he is good enough.

It's obvious that Newton is superior to Stidham. He won the job out of camp. The only question is if he is hobbled, does Stidham make a better choice. Depends on how bad the injury is and if Newton is ready to go. Stidham just doesn't seem to have "it".

Just because Cam Newton isn't the answer doesn't Jarrett Stidham is.

I don't have as much data a BB does on these guys and he's rolled with Cam and the team results are not awful. We are 5-6 in our rebuilding year and had the ball in our opponent's 30 in the last two mins in 4 losses down by less than 7. Vs Arizona the team finally found a way to win a close one.

I'm sure there were posts just like this on the Giants board when they went 9-7 and beat you guys in the superbowl. Just saying.
Not really. When the Giants played the Pats in the last regular season game of the year they were 10-5 and were locked in to the 5th seed in the NFC. To Tom Coughlin's credit, instead of resting players the Giants went after the Pats undefeated season, which probably contributed to their win in the SB. They ended up 14-6 counting the playoffs.

I am convinced folks are scared of Cam doing well.
If those folks are out there they're from other teams. You can bet your bippy that no team wants any part of the Pats in the playoffs.

Cam sucks though. He’s sucked for a while. That they stick with him means they’re either tanking or they’re even less confident in Stid than they are of Cam. It’s most likely the latter since, if they were tanking, they’re doing a terrible job of it.
Apparently you two weren't aware?? Cam was actually on the up .... Don't be narrative pushers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back