Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Start Stidham or Newton against Chargers?

• Stidham

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Newton

Votes: 28 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

stcjones

Pro Bowl Player
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Newton is banged up with an abdominal strain. He has not been playing well.... 26.2 QB rating last week, poor decision making, bad throwing mechanics, no confidence....and he is going up against a cover 3 D this weekend which he has struggled with his entire career. I say Start Stidham!!! Give the guy a chance!!!!

Newton.

If there was someone better than Newton I’d say start him. Sidham is not. Not the future QB of this team.

I can’t believe it’s this hard to accept that the staff made their decision on Stidham. He had enough chances.

It’s not Stidham or Newton. Stidham is the third string QB. It would Newton or Hoyer.
Stidhham has been the back up since after the KC game. He came in for Newton in the San Fran game.

Stidhham has been the back up since after the KC game. He came in for Newton in the San Fran game.
I knew that but didn’t think or know if it was official. In any event, it’s going to be Cam getting the start. Stidham has crapped his pants whenever he’s seen the field.

Stidham may be bad but he really can't be worse than Newton. We're getting virtually no production from the QB position. Might as well see if we can run the short passing game a bit better with Stid

just roll with Stidham to see what he could actually do in the league with multiple starts. Good time to evaluate...this team has no business in the playoffs so no need to barely get in, then eliminated. Move up in the draft if we can

Couple of things to chew on - Newton did everything in his power to give that game away on Sunday with both the defense and STs balling out. Now he has an abdominal injury that is limiting him giving Bill/Josh the chance to practice Stidham more and make a change.

Second, Chargers still run the cover 3 which has a ton of holes that can be exploited ala Brady in the playoffs 2 years ago. This is a game where passing is the only way you are going to compete as we are not running on their front. Perfect time to get Stid ready to see what he can do against a defense that will have open guys all day.

I doubt it will happen barring injury but I would like to see Stidham get a full week of practice as the starter and start a couple games. I know Bill likely thinks he is terrible if we haven't seen him yet with how bad Cam has played but I would like to see as well and frankly losing games at this point isn't the worst thing in the world.

Stidham may be bad but he really can't be worse than Newton. We're getting virtually no production from the QB position. Might as well see if we can run the short passing game a bit better with Stid
I bet he can. We got a taste of it in the KC game.

I am assuming Stidham is not very good based on the fact he was behind Hoyer and is not getting any playing time more so than the few times he has seen the field. He has only thrown 27 passes in his entire career and while he has not been effective that seems awful quick to draw final conclusions.

If the Pats had a viable QB prospect then play him.

Stidham isn't a viable QB prospect at this point. Most 4th round draft pick QB's aren't either. So unless Cam really is hurt there's no point in "seeing what he has". That's like a team having Nathan Peterman and "wanting to see what he has".

They should see what Cam has though to help decide what they're going to do for a bridge QB in 2021.

If the Pats had a viable QB prospect then play him.

Stidham isn't a viable QB prospect at this point. Most 4th round draft pick QB's aren't either. So unless Cam really is hurt there's no point in "seeing what he has". That's like a team having Nathan Peterman and "wanting to see what he has".

They should see what Cam has though to help decide what they're going to do for a bridge QB in 2021.
I think we know all there is about Cam. This was a terrible fit which is what usually happens when you go bargain basement hunting in late June.
What harm is there is starting Stidham? Who cares if we get another loss at this point. Let's see what he can do against a cover 3.

I think we know all there is about Cam. This was a terrible fit which is what usually happens when you go bargain basement hunting in late June.
What harm is there is starting Stidham? Who cares if we get another loss at this point. Let's see what he can do against a cover 3.
There's no harm...it's just imo pointless to put him out there. What exactly would they be looking for now? If he hasn't replaced Cam already, it will never happen.

Cam is auditioning for a 2021 job on some team whether it's here as the bridge QB or somewhere else so unless he is seriously hurt he's the guy that should be playing as much as possible. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back