Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Start Stidham or Newton against Chargers?

• Stidham

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Newton

Votes: 28 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no harm...it's just imo pointless to put him out there. What exactly would they be looking for now? If he hasn't replaced Cam already, it will never happen.

Cam is auditioning for a 2021 job on some team whether it's here as the bridge QB or somewhere else so unless he is seriously hurt he's the guy that should be playing as much as possible. IMO
Bill is always the one that says that you don't know what you have in a player until you see him play. I think finding that out is worth it. I mean if he is a complete scrub then I have no idea why he is even still on the roster.

Cam currently has the same number of losses as Brady with a Cam-like Jekyll/Hyde defense who gave up 27 to the Jets. Coach Shackleton is trying to keep morale up in the midst of certain elimination, and Cam has those leadership intangibles to keep the rest of the crew believing. It is what it is, as they say.

Stidham's not going anywhere for the next couple of years assuming he behaves (again, wedding). Hoyer inactive for a lot of the last month and a half pretty much locked that up, so we'll have plenty more time to see him after the next 1 or 2 losses if BB decides, or in preseason next year. Stidham and Meyers were on absolute fire together during the 2019 preseason, and that's what turned me into a Jakobite. The one thing I'd want to see is if there's anything to that connection besides the little we saw in the last quarter of the 49ers game, in addition to a full week of practice as the starter.

The Rams game with that great run/pass defense (minus a clunker or 2) for me will be the litmus test for Cam.

Last edited:
I don't know how good Stidham is because I haven't really seen him as a starter. People keep saying he's terrible, and yesterday I heard Beatle say he was awful. I've basically seen him in two short stints. He has been roundly criticized for interceptions. Two to the right sideline where he clearly has an issue and another one belonged to Edelman and the other one last year I no longer remember but seem to think it was another off the hands. What I did see was that he actually looks the part in the pocket and when throwing the ball. He was the only one to actually throw a fade for a TD to Harry. He made some other throws that seemed good also. He actually threw to Jacobi Myers before anyone else did. To think we can make playoffs with Cam Newton at QB is completely unreasonable. This Chargers game should provide a good example. James White and other RB's need to be in the offense against their style of defense. I don't believe I have seen Cam throw a decent pass to the backs, very weak on screens. (okay last weeks pass for White's td was okay but it was an outlier. Anyway, Stidham is still an unknown quantity to me. Cam is a known quantity.

This is from Mark Morse in another Pats Fan article today. I agree with everything except maybe his last sentence.

"The Patriots beat Arizona last week despite Newton. His QB rating was an abysmal 20. He cannot throw anything short. He has too many balls tipped at the line of scrimmage, one that led to an interception last week. He throws with a flat or downward trajectory. He has a long delivery and throws everything hard. His mechanics are awful. His 2nd interception of the game (which should have been the game-winner for ARI) was a case of his bad mechanics. He continually “Steps in the Bucket”, stepping toward the sideline, and relying strictly on his arm strength to complete passes. He doesn’t anticipate the receiver’s breaks but waits for them to break open before delivering the ball. He takes too long at the line of scrimmage and has a very drawn-out cadence which can be timed by the defense. He doesn’t read defenses very well at all. Opponents are daring him to try and beat them with his arm, knowing that he can’t pass. They are loading the box with 8-10 players to stop the run. Newton has thrown 1 TD to a WR this year.

Some writers say that Bill Belichick has seen Jarrett Stidham every day in practice and that he is not ready. If Stidham cannot beat out a QB with a 20 QB rating and 2 INT’s then he doesn’t belong in the NFL and is stealing a roster spot. Newton is ignoring the TE position even though Izzo has been wide open. The Patriots cannot do worse than what Newton is giving them. I don’t care if they use Hoyer, Newton is not the answer."

It’s not Stidham or Newton. Stidham is the third string QB. It would Newton or Hoyer.
Stidham can at least throw a football, he may be throwing it to the opposing team half the time, but he can throw it. Hoyer can't even throw a football. It's a toss up, either one its going to be hard to watch.

I say start Stidham and stop beating this potential playoff teams while losing to scruffs and go all in for the QB pick next draft.

I don't know how some guys can unequivocally declare what Stid is, or is capable of, based on some very brief and unprepared backup duties.
his first INT last year vs. Jets was stupid, but it was a basic overthrow because of nerves - it was the right read.
at KC, one was JE11 fault, and the other was an underthrown deep shot (on a week where no one practiced much)
What he has shown this year is ability to be accurate in mid-range, good touch on screens, good mobility and anticipation.
AND he spreads the ball around! I still hold out hope for what he could be given the #1 reps all week on a gameplan specific role.
If they trot out Cam with core muscle issues - when that could explain why his mechanics suck so bad - just to protect egos or feelings!!
That is NOT team-first decisions!

Like I said, Cam can't play any worse. This will be his breakout game. You wait and see!

I don't know how some guys can unequivocally declare what Stid is, or is capable of, based on some very brief and unprepared backup duties.
his first INT last year vs. Jets was stupid, but it was a basic overthrow because of nerves - it was the right read.
at KC, one was JE11 fault, and the other was an underthrown deep shot (on a week where no one practiced much)
What he has shown this year is ability to be accurate in mid-range, good touch on screens, good mobility and anticipation.
AND he spreads the ball around! I still hold out hope for what he could be given the #1 reps all week on a gameplan specific role.
If they trot out Cam with core muscle issues - when that could explain why his mechanics suck so bad - just to protect egos or feelings!!
That is NOT team-first decisions!
So then why isn’t he playing? Are the Patriots tanking or is the coaching staff not confident in him?

Those are my only choices? :(

Unless Newton is going on IR, BB will start Newton. Newton will be pushing to be the starter.

Newton is the guy until we’re mathematically out of it. Is he hurt that bad?

just roll with Stidham to see what he could actually do in the league with multiple starts. Good time to evaluate...this team has no business in the playoffs so no need to barely get in, then eliminated. Move up in the draft if we can
I'm sure there were posts just like this on the Giants board when they went 9-7 and beat you guys in the superbowl. Just saying.

I'm sure there were posts just like this on the Giants board when they went 9-7 and beat you guys in the superbowl. Just saying.
If the Patriots can somehow win 3 road games in a row, including a formidable Rams team, just as guys like Edelman get healthy, then I'll start to wonder if they have a Giants run in them. The SB Giants teams won 4 in a row on the road in the playoffs.

Like I said, Cam can't play any worse. This will be his breakout game. You wait and see!

The alternative is Stidham unfortunately. The guy with a high career int% than Nathan Petermano_O

So it actually could get worse :eek:

The alternative is Stidham unfortunately. The guy with a high career int% than Nathan Petermano_O

So it actually could get worse :eek:
lol, the guy didn't played 1 full game yet, I'd rather watch him throwing 3 TD and 2 INT a game than watching Cam fumbling, throwing for 0 TD and 2 INT every other game, with Stidham the opponents might not be able to stack the box with 10 defenders, because he actually can throw a pass

people are afraid of Stidham throwing INTs while you have a "starting QB" which stats are 4 TD & 9 INT after 10 games, I mean give him a chance, give him a full game and see what he has in him..

with Cam you already know what you got, actually one man less on the field, unfortunatelly on the most important position, like starting at a 100m sprint with only one leg, while all other start without any handicap

When he's good, Newton is a top 12 QB in this league. Sadly, Newton's last good campaign is 6 years in the rearview mirror. If Bill wants to ride him for lack of any other choices, fine. If Bill wants to stick with him even when they're mathematically eliminated, that'd be headscratching from afar, but ok, fine.

If Bill wants to subject us, himself, his staff, Josh, ownership, and the team to having this guy under center next year as well... that will truly test the In Bill We Trust mantra.

For what it's worth I don't think it comes to that unless he signs for 1M all over again (he won't, thankfully). They'll roll with a rookie or another reclamation project. There's no guarantee anything else will work out, but it's a damn near certainty that by this time next year, Newton will be putting the wraps on the 7th year since he was last any good.

When he's good, Newton is a top 12 QB in this league. Sadly, Newton's last good campaign is 6 years in the rearview mirror. If Bill wants to ride him for lack of any other choices, fine. If Bill wants to stick with him even when they're mathematically eliminated, that'd be headscratching from afar, but ok, fine.

If Bill wants to subject us, himself, his staff, Josh, ownership, and the team to having this guy under center next year as well... that will truly test the In Bill We Trust mantra.

For what it's worth I don't think it comes to that unless he signs for 1M all over again (he won't, thankfully). They'll roll with a rookie or another reclamation project. There's no guarantee anything else will work out, but it's a damn near certainty that by this time next year, Newton will be putting the wraps on the 7th year since he was last any good.
Cam is auditioning for an NFL job in 2021. He's motivated to get a payday whether it's the Pats or elsewhere. He needs to play. Not Hoyer or Stidham, who definitely won't and probably won't respectively be Patriots in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe