Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Start Stidham or Newton against Chargers?

• Stidham

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Newton

Votes: 28 45.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now there are 12 teams worse than the Pats in terms of wins and a couple with the same record. That put us right in the middle for the draft . I am not sure we would go with a QB in the first round. If we were between 5-10 overall pick we might have. That is why I have been so torn the last couple of weeks. I want to win, however if we are not making the playoffs, I would have preferred a pick from 1-10. Next year we will have to get a vet and maybe find a diamond in the rough in a later round . If this is the best we are going to get from Cam, he will be somewhere else next year. I highly doubt BB rolls with Stidham. If he was any good we would have had him this year as the starter, we wouldn't have picked up Cam !
This is a big problem that a lot of people aren't considering. By the time it is our pick in the draft, there's a very good chance all the first round level QB's are gone and picking the best available would be viewed as an overdraft so we might punt and then get stuck with another project. In which case it would be irresponsible to only role into the season with them. In which case you have to decide between trusting Stidham or keeping Cam in case the new guy doesn't develop properly or right away.

If Bill already doesn't trust Stidham and he is a young guy who isn't as experienced and knows he's getting passed over for someone else, I don't see that being a good situation.

At least Cam would be trying to salavage his career and would be open to getting starting snaps so that he could try to look good and sell himself as viable to another team. Stidham would be like going to prom with you ex because the girl you dumped her for couldn't get a dress that matched your tux in time. It's just going to be a miserable situation.

Really unless we get a crack at someone like Stafford in free agency or have one of the top 3-4 QB's fall to us (and really Lawrence, Lance, or Fields are the only ones I think I would be comfortable starting day one) we probably will have a spot that makes sense for Cam to be around. And the truth is, if someone like Stafford were on the market, he's going to want to go to a win now team (we aren't right now) and he's going to be able to demand a $35 million plus contract that is likely market setting.

This is a big problem that a lot of people aren't considering. By the time it is our pick in the draft, there's a very good chance all the first round level QB's are gone and picking the best available would be viewed as an overdraft so we might punt and then get stuck with another project. In which case it would be irresponsible to only role into the season with them. In which case you have to decide between trusting Stidham or keeping Cam in case the new guy doesn't develop properly or right away.

If Bill already doesn't trust Stidham and he is a young guy who isn't as experienced and knows he's getting passed over for someone else, I don't see that being a good situation.

At least Cam would be trying to salavage his career and would be open to getting starting snaps so that he could try to look good and sell himself as viable to another team. Stidham would be like going to prom with you ex because the girl you dumped her for couldn't get a dress that matched your tux in time. It's just going to be a miserable situation.

Really unless we get a crack at someone like Stafford in free agency or have one of the top 3-4 QB's fall to us (and really Lawrence, Lance, or Fields are the only ones I think I would be comfortable starting day one) we probably will have a spot that makes sense for Cam to be around. And the truth is, if someone like Stafford were on the market, he's going to want to go to a win now team (we aren't right now) and he's going to be able to demand a $35 million plus contract that is likely market setting.
At this point Cam's attempt to salvage his career has been a complete failure. More of a chance he will be out of the league than a starter next year.

I honestly doesn’t understand the love for Cam as a player. When Hoyer had his performance against KC everyone here wanted him cut the following day. The fact is he never dressed again. Cam had this year way worse performance than Hoyer but people here still making excuses for him. Cam sucks that’s just the truth. The fact that Bill doesn’t want to try to play his backup whatever the reason shows how Bill mismanaged the QB position
I wouldn’t go that far.

At this point Cam's attempt to salvage his career has been a complete failure. More of a chance he will be out of the league than a starter next year.
Absolutely a possibility. However sadly I think as bad as he is, we might still be in a bad position and require him

I wouldn’t go that far.
Last week and San Fran was way worse than Hoyer. I don’t know how it is possible to argue otherwise.

hoyer was benched for less than that. Bill is stubborn sometimes. Meyer wasn’t playing last year and wasn’t playing this year and he would still not playing if it wasn’t for injuries.

1. Because Stidham is not ever going to be the guy and we will need a back up or stopgap if we draft someone unless you want to throw them right to the wolves. You can have a vet who has some talent or a youth who has no talent.

2. Back to blocked because you have to go back to your schtick
1. You have no clue what Stidham would be and there are many other QBs that could be brought in.
2. Of course, someone challenges your thinking or disagrees with you so you escape to your safe place.

Absolutely a possibility. However sadly I think as bad as he is, we might still be in a bad position and require him
Hard to imagine they couldn't find someone that spent the night at a holiday inn Express that could imitate a starting caliber QB......
I don't want CN anywhere near a rookie.

Last week and San Fran was way worse than Hoyer. I don’t know how it is possible to argue otherwise.

hoyer was benched for less than that. Bill is stubborn sometimes. Meyer wasn’t playing last year and wasn’t playing this year and he would still not playing if it wasn’t for injuries.
Well unfortunately those weren’t the only games Cam played and Hoyer got probably our best defensive performance of the year against KC and got benched for pissing it away in addition to being completely ineffective on other teams.

Hard to imagine they couldn't find someone that spent the night at a holiday inn Express that could imitate a starting caliber QB......
I don't want CN anywhere near a rookie.
People always think there HAS to be an option that’s better that’s just lying around. Listen we almost got stuck rolling with Stidham this year and probably going 3-13 if Cam didn’t miraculously end up super cheap.

It’s convenient to believe there is a better option that we can just snag. That isn’t necessarily the case.

Cam's abnormally strong abs have been causing him to throw it at receivers' feet, so now he's calibrated just right for dink and dunk perfection.

It's like teaching a big man to shoot 3s in basketball. Or maybe free throws.

Guys like Stidham are a dime a dozen. His draft slot tells you all you need to know about what to expect from him. They’ll find someone better in the draft I’m sure.

Yes there’s Brady but he was a one in a lifetime exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes