PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stidham already back at it

It's why this Board has gone to hell. Some "Patsfans" don't really seem like Patriot fans. It's fine to be critical and fine to root for Brady but this is still an NEP website isn't it?
Yeah I also feel the same way. There is no optimism.. if he works out , let's be appreciative rather than be dismissive.

I think it's in the teams best interests that stidham and Harry work out. Even if they turn out to be above average that's a win win for us. It's nit as if we have quarterbacks clamoring to join us or we have a unlimited pot of cap. We need all the luck to get back in contention and stidham and Harry panning out is like penny stocks turning into a tesla. So we should root all the more for these guys to pan out..

His whole situation honestly confuses me. I don't know how he was good enough to be the only other QB behind Brady a year ago (as a rookie!!), but then couldn't beat out the corpse of Cam Newton the following year, and got passed over in favor of Hoyer in the KC game. If Brady suffered a 2008-type accident last year, Stidham would have been the starter for the rest of the year. That feels like a Curtis Painter situation, but I just can't imagine Belichick allowing that, so I have to think he had some level of confidence in the kid... so did Stidham somehow regress in year 2? Or did Bill simply not have enough confidence in the sophomore in a COVID-crazy season? I'm definitely left scratching my head.

His whole situation honestly confuses me. I don't know how he was good enough to be the only other QB behind Brady a year ago (as a rookie!!), but then couldn't beat out the corpse of Cam Newton the following year, and got passed over in favor of Hoyer in the KC game. If Brady suffered a 2008-type accident last year, Stidham would have been the starter for the rest of the year. That feels like a Curtis Painter situation, but I just can't imagine Belichick allowing that, so I have to think he had some level of confidence in the kid... so did Stidham somehow regress in year 2? Or did Bill simply not have enough confidence in the sophomore in a COVID-crazy season? I'm definitely left scratching my head.
1612922872718.jpeg

He's probably worried he's going to be out of a job soon

Welcome to Arby’s, would you like any fries with your order.
Ranking Youtube GIF by tyler oakley

What makes you think he is a capable number 2? He didn't start when Cam missed the KC game. He didn't start down the stretch when Cam was playing some of the worst football I have ever seen from a QB. I don't hate the guy but I think it is pretty clear Bill thinks he can't play.
Good. Glad to see it.

I hope the whole team is doing the same.

For the Stidham haters: has he had a week of practice with the first team before going into a game? And everytime he got in this year, the Pats were behind and the DL was just teeing off on him. Will he ever be a starting QB in the NFL? Probably not, but I don't know, and neither does anyone posting here. No matter who BB drafts for QB this year, if he does, I doubt that player sees the field THIS season. BB isn't a big fan of rookies and rookie mistakes, particularly at QB.
Very well said...great post

I think there's something in between "This guy sucks and no one should waste time on him" and "He's working hard because he's going to be the starter this year".

We saw a few situations this past year where third string QB's had to play snaps. Right now, unless we draft a QB, sign TWO FA QB's, OR the practice squad guy ascends quickly, there's no way Stidham with two years in the system isn't at least our third best guy in the room. I like that he's working hard because I want him ready in whatever role he ends up in.

But aside from that, if we end up drafting a QB high that we see as the future, you want him to have to beat guys out to EARN the starting spot. I don't want to draft Jones (as an example) and then not have anyone remotely capable of being better than him in week 1. I want a veteran that can show him the ropes, plus maybe Stidham to show him what it takes to be a rookie QB on a Belichick team. That gives the kid two people that have a head start on him who he has to outwork and outplay to get on the field, which will make him a better QB long term.

Hell, I want every player on this team working on their craft in the offseason. Even the ones who won't make the team, the more competition there is in different position groups, the better the cream that rises to the top.
If we draft Jones, there will be the natural Alabama (Jones) versus Auburn (Stidham) rivalry to fuel the competition.

Good. Glad to see it.
I hope the whole team is doing the same.

For the Stidham haters: has he had a week of practice with the first team before going into a game? And everytime he got in this year, the Pats were behind and the DL was just teeing off on him. Will he ever be a starting QB in the NFL? Probably not, but I don't know, and neither does anyone posting here. No matter who BB drafts for QB this year, if he does, I doubt that player sees the field THIS season. BB isn't a big fan of rookies and rookie mistakes, particularly at QB.
I’m not a Stidham “hater” as in I’m mad at him for anything he’s done. I just don’t think he’s a capable NFL player. He wasn’t given a chance to prepare as a starter for a reason. Bill doesn’t view him as a potential starter or even a capable backup apparently. I agree that if Bill drafts a guy he likely won’t start as a rookie but Stidham wasn’t a rookie last year.

Stidham is done
1. He went to Texas for like a month last summer when BB expected him here.
2. He said he was hurt last year when medical said he was fine, BB was done.
3. He threw 3 picks in a row, nobody has ever done that and become good.

I'd rather have:
- Brissett back
- Trubisky if low cost
- JimmyG if low cost to trade for.
Let's be a little more precise. He threw picks in two consecutive series in one game and another pick in a series in a second game. In both games he was inserted late in what was already a lost cause. The defense knew he was going to pass. One of the interceptions bounced off of Edelman's hands. "Three picks in a row..." Nothing like prejudicing an argument.

I'm sure Stidham will have a shot to win the starting position..just like he did this year.

Belichick has proven time and time again that a new season = new slate with him. It's possible that Stidham comes in, lights the world on fire and wins the QB1 reign.

It's also possible what you saw is what you get and Stidham is a career backup who might get a shot down the line...prob on a diff team.

He's probably worried he's going to be out of a job soon
He should be worried...And whatever it is he's already back at doing, I hope it's not the same as whatever it was he was doing last offseason...

My thoughts exactly..he's getting an early start and making it visible. This is for a reason. This is a good sign actually. Some maturation and realization of what's at stake. Good for him personally and professionally.

However .. I still don't think he is the answer. He might be a damn good backup though...which might be exactly what BB saw when he drafted him.

LOL, let the discussion about his amazing return to glory begin:

“Great velocity, Stiddy! You’re really slinging it today. Don’t forget, though....the orange cones are the bad guys. You have to stop throwing it near the cones.”

Fair point, but if Cam wasn’t sitting there for $1m in all likelihood Stidham would have started.

I guess I’m just bitter they never gave Tom the multi year deal and he retires a Patriot. He deserved it.
1612956341785.gif

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back