PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Starting QB thread

Dwayne Haskins

Is the Foxy Lady still open in Billerica? Wear a mask.

Has newton shown any progress at all this year? NO. he shouldn't ever see the field as a Patriot again (He won't)

Stidham should start the last game but we'll see. I wouldn't put my money on it. Maybe Bill will surprise us with the Wildcat.

Bill said yesterday during his presser that Cam wasn’t the problem is crazy. That and the bad challenge he took while being just in front of the action is a proof that Bill is losing eye sight and need good glasses

Bill said yesterday during his presser that Cam wasn’t the problem is crazy. That and the bad challenge he took while being just in front of the action is a proof that Bill is losing eye sight and need good glasses
Maybe cam isn’t THE problem but he’s certainly a problem.

THE problem is GM Bill setting up this team for failure with the draft whiffs over the last few years. Let’s hope that changes with this one.

I dont understand the allegence that BB has to Cam. Is it a contract thing to make sure he gets paid?

Has newton shown any progress at all this year? NO. he shouldn't ever see the field as a Patriot again (He won't)

Stidham should start the last game but we'll see. I wouldn't put my money on it. Maybe Bill will surprise us with the Wildcat.
Stidham hasn’t shown any progress either. I expect both will be sent packing and we’ll have two better QBs here next year to evaluate.

I don’t want to hear about Cam sacrificing things or Stidham whining that he wants to start when he hasn’t earned that right.

So glad this season is almost over and we can get some good passing QBs here next year.

I dont understand the allegence that BB has to Cam. Is it a contract thing to make sure he gets paid?
Bill loves his vets. It's almost assuredly a contract thing. Look for Cam to start the game next week and get pulled like this one so he reaches contract milestones. Maybe he even lets him try to break Grogan's record before pulling him.

Agreed. Stidham has some pocket presence, sometimes looked to his second reads (I think he got to his 3rd read once), threw to the check downs, and hit a few guys in stride so they got some YAC.

Saying that he short hopped a couple of passes and still looks mechanically weird. My take is Stidham is not ready, but he is trying to do all of the right things. Will he ever be ready? Who knows. He has to stop being nervous and play without thinking, but some guys never get over that hump.
4/11 4 YPC. He is a vet not a rookie.

Not an NFL caliber starting QB and never will be.

4/11 4 YPC. He is a vet not a rookie.

Not an NFL caliber starting QB and never will be.

He threw a few passes away because the OLine was awful and should get credit for that instead of taking sacks like Cam. 4 for 8, not bad, not good. It is mop up duty after the game was over. No real way to tell anything unless he is given a few starts. Prejudging a player as a failure before giving them a chance is trolling.

Cam admitting last week that he can’t handle the pressure of being in New England and Stidham whining last night that he wants to start and Cam getting salty when asked about Stid saying that.

Lol. We’re in awesome QB shape here aren’t we. :D
I watched the Stidham post game interview and there wasn't a hint of whining there (but MAN does he look young - or am I just getting old?). The interviewers kept hammering the question of do you want to start next week and one question there was no choice but to answer the way he did.

There are a lot of references to Belichick mentioning a decade ago that you just don't know what you've got in a QB until he gets a full week to prepare. Cassel had some great insight into it, as well. Hope he gets his shot. I'll enjoy the last game regardless of the outcome as that pinch of masochism helps.

He threw a few passes away because the OLine was awful and should get credit for that instead of taking sacks like Cam. 4 for 8, not bad, not good. It is mop up duty after the game was over. No real way to tell anything unless he is given a few starts. Prejudging a player as a failure before giving them a chance is trolling.
My opinion doesn’t matter, it’s Bill and Josh’s opinion that counts. Last night was a demonstration of why Stidham is on the bench behind a guy who can’t pass. I’m sure he will get to start vs NYJ and that will be it. Time to move on, he isnt a diamond in the rough nor a starting caliber QB.

Agreed. Stidham has some pocket presence, sometimes looked to his second reads (I think he got to his 3rd read once), threw to the check downs, and hit a few guys in stride so they got some YAC.

Saying that he short hopped a couple of passes and still looks mechanically weird. My take is Stidham is not ready, but he is trying to do all of the right things. Will he ever be ready? Who knows. He has to stop being nervous and play without thinking, but some guys never get over that hump.
Best way to work through that is actual game reps. Can only learn so much through practice and holding a clipboard.

When has it been Bills style to throw a player under the bus to the media?

because despite the atrocious offensive production (which we saw signs of the 2nd half of last year, even with Brady), Cam has EARNED the starting job this year. That actually means something to someone like Belichick, maybe he doesnt want to send a message and award the starting gig to Stidham when the coaches have been evaluating him for the last 2 years and don't feel that he's earned the starting job

He was terrible last night and had an entire half of football to show something. He couldn't show anything, even when the Bills softened up their coverage at the end of the game.

Everyone screaming for Stidham is just bizarre, he sucks and is not the answer, but yet everyone wants to see him out there why exactly? So he can throw a couple touchdowns against the Jets and everyone can feel good about themselves going into the offseason with "proof" that he's better than Cam or something?

Cam earned the starting job.. the team sucks, they have 1 game left, just let Cam finish what he started and then figure out what the hell we're going to do in the offseason... but clearly Stidham is not the future, and Cam isn't either (altho i wouldnt be shocked to see Cam signed for another 1-2 years)

Stidham hasn’t shown any progress either. I expect both will be sent packing and we’ll have two better QBs here next year to evaluate.
Stidham wasn't good last night, but no one was. Also, BB was putting all the backups in at that point. Ferentz took over for Andrews, it was mostly Taylor at RB. Again, putting a backup QB in with backups when you're down 31pts to a hungry rival isn't the situation to judge if he has progressed. He should have started the week with all the reps, and Cam's abysmal performance proved it. We know Cam is washed up and can't even throw an open 10 yard pass on the move. There is no reason Stid shouldn't be playing the last few games except for BB's insane level of stubbornness. It's what has put us in the position to begin with.

Dwayne Haskins

Is the Foxy Lady still open in Billerica? Wear a mask.
Foxy is in Providence.

Mac's Two was/is Billerica and it closed last year.

Cam admitting last week that he can’t handle the pressure of being in New England and Stidham whining last night that he wants to start and Cam getting salty when asked about Stid saying that.

Lol. We’re in awesome QB shape here aren’t we. :D
I read the linked article and I can't find literally any of the things you wrote here in it. Where did Cam say he can't handle the pressure? Where did Stidham "whine" about wanting to start? Where did Cam get "salty" about him? Did you link the wrong article?

IMO I was actually impressed by a couple of the throw-aways because he recognized it was all breaking down and just got it away. It shows at least some wisdom. Most scrappy young QBs looking to prove themselves would have been pushing trying to make something out of nothing. I also liked what I saw as far as pocket awareness from him - he was lightyears beyond Cam in that respect.

I read the linked article and I can't find literally any of the things you wrote here in it. Where did Cam say he can't handle the pressure? Where did Stidham "whine" about wanting to start? Where did Cam get "salty" about him? Did you link the wrong article?
There was an article which plucked the comment from Cam in which the said he was not accustomed to playing in this kind of environment.

• Winner
Reactions: sb1

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes