PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford traded to Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is partially good news for the Patriots in the sense that Detroit is not going to select a QB in the 1st round. So, once again, one of Zach Wilson, Justin Fields or Trey Lance will drop to the Patriots. Very important since I'm hoping against hoping we don't end up with Marc Wilson, err, I mean Mac Jones.
im taking Zach Wilson straight up, I think he will either go to the Falcons or the Jete

Stafford is a little better on tape but Goff is a good QB and younger and won playoff games, he needs weapons and a very good OC though. Anyway I think Detroit won this trade by a lot.

The Lions fans I know are all pumped about this.
Don’t blame em. Can go into the draft and get the QB they want, get a big name receiver. Not to mention comp picks they’re gonna get if they let guys like Golladay go. Hell, now they can break the bank for Watson!

Stafford is a little better on tape but Goff is a good QB and younger and won playoff games, he needs weapons and a very good OC though. Anyway I think Detroit won this trade by a lot.

They likely might add a wideout. Idk their cap but they will lose some players offensively.

Don’t blame em. Can go into the draft and get the QB they want, get a big name receiver. Not to mention comp picks they’re gonna get if they let guys like Golladay go. Hell, now they can break the bank for Watson!

This is a very good idea. Trade Goff for a #1 to Washington, then trade 3 #1s and a couple of #2s for Watson.

Last edited:

Maybe they have that up their sleeve. Who knows.

This is partially good news for the Patriots in the sense that Detroit is not going to select a QB in the 1st round. So, once again, one of Zach Wilson, Justin Fields or Trey Lance will drop to the Patriots.
I was thinking the same...one of the 3 could be now available...

Unless the niners get watson. We may be looking at another year of Cam Newton or someone like mariota.

Because I don't see them moving on from Jimmy G without an alternative

Doesn't Jimmy G's big contract vest this spring? In other words, they may have to move on to him because keeping him becomes a multiyear commitment.

So as I understand it...

Detroit saves $14m on the cap as Stafford leaves but takes on a $13m cap charge from Goff, and gain multiple firsts. They move up to about $2m in cap space available for 2021...

LA loses multiple firsts and more, saves $13m on the cap from Goff leaving... but assumes a new $14m cap charge from Stafford... and were already $31m OVER the cap... so now they’re $32m over the cap... wow.

Last edited:
Nothing says "thanks for your service but we think you suck" quite like trading someone for a QB 7 years older and throwing in two 1sts and a 3rd on top. Wow.

One of the worst trades I’ve ever seen in the NFL, and I’ve been watching the NFL since 1970. What a huge, ridiculous overpayment. Who’s the new Detroit GM ? What a brilliant trade. And now Detroit, if they want to, can go after Watson. They can give several #1 picks and Goff to get Watson. They can upgrade the QB position big time. I can’t see them not getting Watson. And mean why wouldn’t they ? Goff is a slight downgrade from Stafford, but with a huge contract.

Man I was hoping he would land in SF so Jimmy Gs release would be certain.
I wonder if SF might want Goff? Seems a little more like a Shanahan guy. The price isn’t so bad with LA taking most of the cap hits. Could probably get him from DET for a second if they wanna draft a QB anyway.

goff cant read a defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents