PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford traded to Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the niners get watson. We may be looking at another year of Cam Newton or someone like mariota.

Because I don't see them moving on from Jimmy G without an alternative
Cam Newton isn’t coming back. I prefer they sign Jacoby Brissett over Cam. Then draft a QB with their 1st round pick. Jacoby knows the offense, and wouldn’t cost that much. He’d be a good bridge QB. He has a 31-13 career TDs/INTs.

Doesn't Jimmy G's big contract vest this spring? In other words, they may have to move on to him because keeping him becomes a multiyear commitment.
The exact opposite, in fact: SF had tons of cap space in 2018, so they front-loaded his deal. SF's dead money if they trade him this year is just $2.8M. That's why he has a no-trade clause for this year—to prevent SF from dumping him somewhere he doesn't want to go.

This mean that the trade price for a QB is insanely high. BB will not be in on a trade. Its an UFA or released QB. I think its Fitzpatrick most likely for a year, possibly Brisset or Trubisky.
Pats can not be trading high picks away...they need youth and speed.

The exact opposite, in fact: SF had tons of cap space in 2018, so they front-loaded his deal. SF's dead money if they trade him this year is just $2.8M. That's why he has a no-trade clause for this year—to prevent SF from dumping him somewhere he doesn't want to go.
I'm referring to what happens if they keep him. He has a clause that locks him in if they want to keep him. He'll get a big contract from them.

Goff even with a bum thumb is equal to Stafford so I don't get this trade.

Goff is hot garbage. He’s been bad the last 2 years and has held the Rams back. A huge overpay for Stafford but with that D and some decent weapons I think this makes the Rams the favourites in the NFC West.

The more I think about it the more I realize this was probably more like a 1st for Stafford, and then a 1st & a 3rd to get Detroit to assume Goff’s horrible contract.

Absolutely, some of those picks were less about Stafford and more about Goff's contract. It's just hard to imagine any team would value some cap relief at one or more first round picks.

One of the worst trades I’ve ever seen in the NFL, and I’ve been watching the NFL since 1970. What a huge, ridiculous overpayment. Who’s the new Detroit GM ? What a brilliant trade. And now Detroit, if they want to, can go after Watson. They can give several #1 picks and Goff to get Watson. They can upgrade the QB position big time. I can’t see them not getting Watson. And mean why wouldn’t they ? Goff is a slight downgrade from Stafford, but with a huge Goff is hot garbage. He’s been bad the last 2 years and has held the Rams back. A huge overpay for Stafford but with that D and some decent weapons I think this makes the Rams the favourites in the NFC West.

A D that got carved up in the playoffs. At least Goff wasn’t the culprit in that game and the rams are still way over the cap. I still would take Seattle and the 49ers over the lambs. Horrible trade.

Goff is hot garbage. He’s been bad the last 2 years and has held the Rams back. A huge overpay for Stafford but with that D and some decent weapons I think this makes the Rams the favourites in the NFC West.

That D got carved up in the playoffs. Still way over the cap. I still like Seattle and the 49ers ahead of them when healthy.

That D got carved up in the playoffs. Still way over the cap. I still like Seattle and the 49ers ahead of them when healthy.
The D shut down the Seahawks in the playoffs in Seattle. They had a rough game at Lambeau but Aaron Donald was injured. The Rams offence has been crap 2 years in a row due to Goff. He’s a below average QB. Stafford isn’t the best but he’s a lot better then Goff. He’ll put up points in L.A.

One of the worst trades I’ve ever seen in the NFL, and I’ve been watching the NFL since 1970. What a huge, ridiculous overpayment. Who’s the new Detroit GM ? What a brilliant trade. And now Detroit, if they want to, can go after Watson. They can give several #1 picks and Goff to get Watson. They can upgrade the QB position big time. I can’t see them not getting Watson. And mean why wouldn’t they ? Goff is a slight downgrade from Stafford, but with a huge contract.
Sounds great but no way in hell Watson and his NO TRADE clause contract is moving to Michigan.....ZERO CHANCE.

The D shut down the Seahawks in the playoffs in Seattle. They had a rough game at Lambeau but Aaron Donald was injured. The Rams offence has been crap 2 years in a row due to Goff. He’s a below average QB. Stafford isn’t the best but he’s a lot better then Goff. He’ll put up points in L.A.

Too much of a gunslinger for me. I don’t think he’s a great leader. He will make a great throw and then a lousy throw for a pick.

Too much of a gunslinger for me. I don’t think he’s a great leader. He will make a great throw and then a lousy throw for a pick.
He is a bit of a gunslinger but he’ll be in a much better situation in L.A. Detroit has been a dumpster fire for decades. I think he’ll be rejuvenated under Sean McVay and the Rams will be much better offensively.

Is Matt this good? I guess I have not been paying attention

The Lions clearly got the better end of this trade from a value perspective. Right now they are 13M over the cap with this move. And they will need to drop that without any easy options. No matter how they plan to extend Stafford I don't see him playing for much less than his 20M dollar mark this year. They will need to get creative.

They will be losing John Johnson SS and Leonard Floyd. Both are good players, but particularly Johnson will hurt to lose.

But their QB situation was just so bad. Stafford throwing to Kupp and Woods with their RBs. That could be a pretty damn good offense. Stafford isn't elite, but he is Bledsoe like in that he can put up numbers and points given the pieces around him against most teams, though mistakes and bad plays will also happen.

I can see this from the Rams POV. The thinking is if they can surround a guy like Stafford with good weapons and a good D headed by Donald he will be able to put up enough points so that their D can get it done. It isn't inconceivable with the Saints taking a huge step back and GB well over the cap that this move might be enough for the Rams to really make a move in the NFC. Hell, they got to the final 4 with Goff. All that being true, I just don't trust Stafford to get it done no matter how stacked his team is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents