PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some Love For BB The GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitsudriver

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
So I was reading over at theganggreen.com (or at least the part I could pick out as the English language) and kept seeing jete's fans crowing about their $100 million in 2018 free cap space. They are currently at around $81 million for 2018 but the consensus is that they'll release Wilkerson (save $11 million), Skrine (save $6 million), Forte (save $3 million), and a handful of others to get up to around $100 million.

All well and good right? Well maybe not. Releasing the 3 players above creates $20 million in cap space but also comes with $12.5 million in dead money for 2018 effectively lowering the total you can spend on actual players that will take the field in 2018. Not to mention the shear lack of talent that the $90 million of cap space you do have allotted was spent on to begin with. The jete's already are carrying another $3 million in dead money into 2018 as it is.

Let's look at the Pat's projected 2018 cap space. Currently they are projected to have about $17 million in space for 2018. They'll free up some by possibly cutting Bennett (save $6.4 million), Allen maybe/maybe not (saving $5 million), Gilleslee (save $2.4 million), and Britt (may be gone already(save $1.5 million). So they can easily get to $34.5 million.

But, here's the kicker. Cutting all those players results in $0, yes $0, in dead money. The Pat's also have < $1 million in currently allocated dead money for 2018.

So without taking into account roster talent the Pat's are playing on an uneven field. If the cap is $178 million in 2018 (not accounting for carryover) the Pat's would be getting to use about $177 million on players actually with the team whereas the jete's can only use $162.5 million.

Do you think Bellichick just hears Damn it feels good to be a gangsta playing in his head all the time?

And that's before Brady's (almost) annual restructure that should give us even more room to operate.

With all the projected salary cap money they could have franchised Garrapolo so he could hold a clipboard on the sideline...

Excellent points @mitsudriver .

And, beyond that, BB-the-GM has also had to deal with unexpectedly having about $25M in 2017 cap space tied up on IR.

He's also had to find guys to replace the 3 veteran DEs and 2 veteran OLBs from last season who were lost to FA, retirement and injury. He's also had to find guys to replace the #1 and #3 WRs from last season who were lost to IR just before the start of the season, and last season's #2 WR who' been out with an injury for the second half of the season.

BB and Caserio have essentially been forced to rebuild two key areas of the team, McD has had to reconfigure the offense, and MP has had to reconfigure the defense (almost weekly) on the fly this season using (mostly) rookies and 2nd-tier (or lesser) players.

Consider how all of this would likely have affected pretty much every other team in the league (would the Falcons even be sniffing a playoff spot right now?), and then consider the fact that the Pats merely need to beat the Jets tomorrow to have the #1 seed in the AFC playoffs.

Again.

Neither BB-the-GM, nor BB-the-HC, nor McDaniels, nor Patricia are likely to win and "of the year" awards for this season, but holy schnikies, what a remarkable job they've done!

I was just rereading the Belichick Trades Collins for a Compensatory Pick thread, everyone was praising Belichick......

So I was reading over at theganggreen.com (or at least the part I could pick out as the English language) and kept seeing jete's fans crowing about their $100 million in 2018 free cap space. They are currently at around $81 million for 2018 but the consensus is that they'll release Wilkerson (save $11 million), Skrine (save $6 million), Forte (save $3 million), and a handful of others to get up to around $100 million.

All well and good right? Well maybe not. Releasing the 3 players above creates $20 million in cap space but also comes with $12.5 million in dead money for 2018 effectively lowering the total you can spend on actual players that will take the field in 2018. Not to mention the shear lack of talent that the $90 million of cap space you do have allotted was spent on to begin with. The jete's already are carrying another $3 million in dead money into 2018 as it is.

Let's look at the Pat's projected 2018 cap space. Currently they are projected to have about $17 million in space for 2018. They'll free up some by possibly cutting Bennett (save $6.4 million), Allen maybe/maybe not (saving $5 million), Gilleslee (save $2.4 million), and Britt (may be gone already(save $1.5 million). So they can easily get to $34.5 million.

But, here's the kicker. Cutting all those players results in $0, yes $0, in dead money. The Pat's also have < $1 million in currently allocated dead money for 2018.

So without taking into account roster talent the Pat's are playing on an uneven field. If the cap is $178 million in 2018 (not accounting for carryover) the Pat's would be getting to use about $177 million on players actually with the team whereas the jete's can only use $162.5 million.

Do you think Bellichick just hears Damn it feels good to be a gangsta playing in his head all the time?

Beautiful.
beer.gif

I'm just looking forward to finding out what NFC special teamer BB trades a 5th round pick for:confused:

I'm just looking forward to finding out what NFC special teamer BB trades a 5th round pick for:confused:
Maybe he should listen to you so he can’t start having Februarys off.

Belichick is the best GM in NFL history and his record proves it. In a league built for parity by way of draft position and free agency he has achieved historic long term winning achievements in every category. He has built a program in New England that cranks out winning seasons year after year after year despite significant roster changes each season.The only comparisons to his achievments come from the pre free agency NFL, where you were able to keep your roster together season after season. And if you were to compare the total number of player’s with rings his total would dwarf those of the Cowboys, Niners, Packers, and Steelers. Belichick has the Lombardi’s, championship wins, playoff wins, and winning % to easily make the case that he is the best GM of all time.

You don't believe that special teams is a big part of a game? I'm in if a team trades a 5th rounder for an impact special team player. How many times have we seen a team begin on less then the 25 yard line?

If he ran for President and won...My money would be on him to create Peace in the middle east, end all hunger around the globe (I mean this one would be easy right? Even Sam Kinnison figured this one out....move them to where the food is:D), make Korea one again, make people of all races love each other, wipe out the deficit, creating a surplus all while ending all taxes for everyone, stop human smuggling, make people want to hug each other rather than gang bang (well the bad gang banging anyway, you know where they shoot each other and stuff, not the good gang banging where people well sort a... ah you get the point), wipe out the cartels, end Aids, fix the ozone, stop global warming/cooling depending on the decade this happens, will stop all littering and will put a colony of crazy ****ers on Mars.

It will be a ****ing utopia...

BB for 2024!

:cool::D

So do the Jets win the Capspacebowl then? More power to 'em, the banner raising ceremony should be one for the ages....
Next year will be the 50th anniversary of their lone Super Bowl win and lone SB appearance.......

You don't believe that special teams is a big part of a game? I'm in if a team trades a 5th rounder for an impact special team player. How many times have we seen a team begin on less then the 25 yard line?
It was sarcasm....

If BB is the goat GM he'd be all over Wilkerson if he gets released.

I think BB the GM is great, but do we really need to compare ourselves to the Jetes?

The Jete will probably spend half of that on Revis.

According the jete's board they want to spend upwards of $15 million a year on Le'Veon Bell :confused: That's what would fix that team; a $15 million a year RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back