PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Solder: Either was or wasn't offered similar money to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solder in his 51 allowed pressures did not receive a $15M APY offer from the Patriots. We lost our connection to those types of drugs when Hernandez got pinched.

I read it differently. The Giants blew him away with an offer that likely way outdid the Pats offer in terms of $$ and guaranteed money making him the highest paid LT ( highest paid O-lineman??) in the league. He could have called the Pats cheap as he left but instead he was gracious and called the offers similar... I don't have a problem with what he said and respect him for it...

Maybe the players are pissed, like a lot of the fans, that BB appeared to throw the Super Bowl for no apparent reason other than he didn't like Butler any more, and the players are leaving because they can get the same or similar money elsewhere and not have to work so hard for it, particularly for a guy who told them the team and the SB are everything, and then made it about something else. I was feeling pretty disillusioned after the game. I guess some players were too. Hopefully some fresh faces and a new season can erase all the negativity.

Which of the players who left - Amendola, Solder, Lewis, Butler, or Bademosi - would YOU have paid equivalent to what they got elsewhere if you were the Patriots' GM?

Which of the players who left - Amendola, Solder, Lewis, Butler, or Bademosi - would YOU have paid equivalent to what they got elsewhere if you were the Patriots' GM?
Possibly Bademosi. None of the others.

Possibly Bademosi. None of the others.

I would agree with that - except that they got JMac cheaper and he's a better corner.

Heck, I still might agree with it...

I would agree with that - except that they got JMac cheaper and he's a better corner.

Heck, I still might agree with it...
Bademosi is a st player and emergency corner.

Lewis was way too much for 25 snaps and 13 touches a game in a rbbc

Amendola was double what made any sense at all. When the cap is tight and you have 7 capable nfl WRs letting # 4 or 5 walk is what you have to do.

Solder should have been kept at a reasonable price but was offered stupid money.

Butler just had to go and proved last year he isn’t worth that money.

Bademosi is a st player and emergency corner.

Lewis was way too much for 25 snaps and 13 touches a game in a rbbc

Amendola was double what made any sense at all. When the cap is tight and you have 7 capable nfl WRs letting # 4 or 5 walk is what you have to do.

Solder should have been kept at a reasonable price but was offered stupid money.

Butler just had to go and proved last year he isn’t worth that money.

Agreed, with the caveat that Butler MIGHT be worth that money with his head on straight. Pats offered him a similar deal before last season, based on 2016.

No doubt it's a risk, though, and after this year, well, no way BB was resigning him.

I am sticking with wain't.

Agreed, with the caveat that Butler MIGHT be worth that money with his head on straight. Pats offered him a similar deal before last season, based on 2016.

No doubt it's a risk, though, and after this year, well, no way BB was resigning him.
I think absent the Sb issue they would not have offered as much now as they did a year ago because he played a lot worse this year than he did the previous 2.

This thread is full of empathy.

I was responding to the OP who asked "WTF is going on here?" and then quoted an article that said Solder left even though the Pats offered him the same money. Since then I believe the article has been debunked and the OP (Kontra) has changed the name of the thread. So I am not playing GM. I am merely waiting for the season to start. Also, while it sucks to lose Solder, the only one I have been pretty upset by so far is Lewis because his production will be hard to replace (and probably Solder's too). I knew Butler was gone, Amendola I can't blame for taking more $$ elsewhere, (although I would have preferred to keep him over Britt and even Mitchell [yeah, I said it]), and his name should be Goodemosi, as in good for him for fleecing the Texans.

I was responding to the OP who asked "WTF is going on here?" and then quoted an article that said Solder left even though the Pats offered him the same money. Since then I believe the article has been debunked and the OP (Kontra) has changed the name of the thread. So I am not playing GM. I am merely waiting for the season to start. Also, while it sucks to lose Solder, the only one I have been pretty upset by so far is Lewis because his production will be hard to replace (and probably Solder's too). I knew Butler was gone, Amendola I can't blame for taking more $$ elsewhere, (although I would have preferred to keep him over Britt and even Mitchell [yeah, I said it]), and his name should be Goodemosi, as in good for him for fleecing the Texans.
Solder was a good, dependable player but hardly a talent worth breaking the bank for. Bad teams offer contracts like the Giants did to Solder.

Solder was a good, dependable player but hardly a talent worth breaking the bank for. Bad teams offer contracts like the Giants did to Solder.
Agree, and, as always, I wonder how good he will be away from Dante.

The Giants had a HUUUUGE need at the LT position and their resource was to overpay for that. Bad teams overpay but in this case it was worth to give some extra 3 MI to Solder instead to some bum RB (that wouldn't be able to run otherwise) so they can at least be able to move the ball. Their offense was a joke last year. The Timing was allright for Solder, maybe in a different offseason he would stay but a respectable franchise had a need and cap space.

It is what it is.

Maybe the players are pissed, like a lot of the fans, that BB appeared to throw the Super Bowl for no apparent reason other than he didn't like Butler any more, and the players are leaving because they can get the same or similar money elsewhere and not have to work so hard for it, particularly for a guy who told them the team and the SB are everything, and then made it about something else. I was feeling pretty disillusioned after the game. I guess some players were too. Hopefully some fresh faces and a season can erase all the negativity.
Deb, if you think not having Malcolm Butler on the field was the reason the Pats lost this game, then I'm wondering if we were watching the same game. I would agree that the Pats were their own worst enemy, but there is a LOT of blame to go around.

Deb, if you think not having Malcolm Butler on the field was the reason the Pats lost this game, then I'm wondering if we were watching the same game. I would agree that the Pats were their own worst enemy, but there is a LOT of blame to go around.
To me the move upset the whole team, and then to put out what we did on D in the 2nd half was inexcusable. It looked like BB didn't even try to come up with a defensive game plan, and then he didn't even try to use his best fix. We were watching the same game.

If the money/offer was equal then Solder would very likely be playing for the Patriots this season. Except for the rare personal reason (wants to finish his career near his home) there are two reasons a long time vet leaves the team he has been with since the draft: Much better offer and a much much better offer.

Good for Solder. He scored a whopper of deal, a deal the Patriots weren't offering, a deal that sets his family up extra extra well post NFL.

Next...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft