PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Solder: Either was or wasn't offered similar money to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, as I have pointed out before, this could be done with a reduction in the 2018 cap and no effect on the 2019 cap.
How? If you convert 2018 salary to bonus ( the only way to reduce 2018 hit, it would have to increase 2019 because it gets amortized.

I agree. I would note that Croston and Karras are our IOL backups, so, for me, Croston is an almost lock.

The open question is how high to draft an LT. We will clearly need one to at least compete for the starting position in 2019.
Hard to consider Croston a lock when Karras was cut last year.
How they felt about Croston in 2017 will be wiped clean and re-evaluated over the next 5 months.

1) I suppose that Brady could extend for $5M a year for 2020 and 2021, or even $1M. That would help the cap for those seasons even more than his $15M helps the current cap.

2) Brady has not, and will not demand market, currently $28M a year guaranteed for a quarterback not projected to be nearly as good a QB as Brady over the next 3-4 years.

3) Even at $25M a year, the 2018 cap could be reduced by over $5M and there would be no effect on 2019. So, I don't see how this will hurt in the acquisition of players supporting Brady.

4) After all, if the 2020 or 2021 caps are an issue, there could be a further (and then fake) extension, spreading the dead money over the first years of a young (relatively inexpensive) new quarterback. So, even here, there is no reason that the acquisition of new players to support Brady would be threatened.

5) The bottom line for me is that Brady won't expect market rates. On the other hand, there is little reason to ask him to take a discount of 25% - 50% from the market rate.

I'm a little curious about this statement. Brady has never been one to demand top dollar (frequently, well below top dollar or even market value for his skill level). I don't believe he has commonly demanded market value for his contracts over the course of his career. Why would you believe at age 43 and 44 he is suddenly going to push for that?

If you believe he is just a bad negotiator, then that might explain the past deals. If you believe he has been foregoing top dollar to secure the best possible players around him, then why would he back off on that approach when he presumably most needs those players? And why stop at a few million more rather than the top of the market?

1) I suppose that Brady could extend for $5M a year for 2020 and 2021, or even $1M. That would help the cap for those seasons even more than his $15M helps the current cap.

2) Brady has not, and will not demand market, currently $28M a year guaranteed for a quarterback not projected to be nearly as good a QB as Brady over the next 3-4 years.

3) Even at $25M a year, the 2018 cap could be reduced by over $5M and there would be no effect on 2019. So, I don't see how this will hurt in the acquisition of players supporting Brady.

4) After all, if the 2020 or 2021 caps are an issue, there could be a further (and then fake) extension, spreading the dead money over the first years of a young (relatively inexpensive) new quarterback. So, even here, there is no reason that the acquisition of new players to support Brady would be threatened.

5) The bottom line for me is that Brady won't expect market rates. On the other hand, there is little reason to ask him to take a discount of 25% - 50% from the market rate.

I misread that. I thought you were suggesting Brady would not go gently with an extension and change his practices to date in order to demand more than he generally seeks for those years. My bad.

I misread that. I thought you were suggesting Brady would not go gently with an extension and change his practices to date in order to demand more than he generally seeks for those years. My bad.
np

Consider taking $14M of Brady's salary and converting it to a bonus, with no change in compensation or contract length. The caps would move from $22M, $22M to $18.5M and $25.5M. For you and others, this somehow changes Brady's compensation. It would not.

When 2019 rolled around, we would NOT suddenly looking at a QB being paid $25.5M and close to market (well about equal to Brees money). We would still be looking at a QB earning $15M for his 2019 services.

Yeah, and I get it quite clearly, as my business is "advance against royalties."

Paying the guy up front is pretty damned good for the guy. The cap hit different might mean he's being paid X less for THIS YEAR'S SERVICE only because he was already given an advance against this year's service, which is, believe it or not, very much to his, the player's advantage.

Dollars are worth less every year, and money given early can be invested.

Consider taking $14M of Brady's salary and converting it to a bonus, with no change in compensation or contract length. The caps would move from $22M, $22M to $18.5M and $25.5M. For you and others, this somehow changes Brady's compensation. It would not.

When 2019 rolled around, we would NOT suddenly looking at a QB being paid $25.5M and close to market (well about equal to Brees money). We would still be looking at a QB earning $15M for his 2019 services.

This is incorrect on a Felgerian level.

Brady's 2019 cap number would be $29 million.
$14 million
$1 million 46-man active roster
$7 million signing bonus proration from the 2018 $14 million signing bonus
$7 million signing bonus proration from the 2016 $28 million signing bonus.

It has become increasingly apparent to me over the years that there is no bigger fool's errand than a lay person attempting to analyze and manage the NFL salary cap. It's best left to people like Miguel who actually know what they're talking about.

Screen-Shot-2013-09-09-at-9.22.55-AM.png

It has become increasingly apparent to me over the years that there is no bigger fool's errand than a lay person attempting to analyze and manage the NFL salary cap. It's best left to people like Miguel who actually know what they're talking about.

Well, Miguel and radio talk show hosts, right? They've got it sorted.

Don't sleep on Cole Croston.
Tbh i completely forgot about him. He has a lot to prove as he is more of a guard than tackle. Those blind side tackle cleats are big shoes to fill.

Tbh i completely forgot about him. He has a lot to prove as he is more of a guard than tackle. Those blind side tackle cleats are big shoes to fill.

I believe that Croston played some LT in the preseason. In any case, he is an emergency backup at OT. I could even see him as the Game Day OL backup with Karras, although Tobin is now likely to be that player.

I believe that Croston played some LT in the preseason. In any case, he is an emergency backup at OT. I could even see him as the Game Day OL backup with Karras, although Tobin is now likely to be that player.
I most sincerely hope that NEITHER Croston nor Tobin are given the chance to wear the Flying Elvis next season and to have Brady's fate in either of their hands. They're not NFL players, not even backup NFL players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST