PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Sando shares what some NFL Execs think about the new NE Pats

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score

The Patriots had a lackluster free agency, and while leadership seemed content with how the offseason played out, those outside of One Patriot Place don’t quite see it the same way.

New England came into this offseason as one of the teams with the most cap space. However, head coach Jerod Mayo quickly walked back his “burn some cash” line from his introductory news conference, and the Tennessee Titans beat out the Patriots for Calvin Ridley.

Owner Robert Kraft told reporters at the annual NFL meetings that New England had a competitive offer for the wide receiver, and he made an audacious claim that Ridley’s “girlfriend” wanted to stay in the South.

The biggest moves the Patriots made involved internal free agents from a team that finished 4-13 last season. Kraft and Mayo maintain optimism for the team, but for a contingent of fans, patience is growing thin.

NFL executives gave their unfiltered thoughts on every team following free agency to The Athletic’s Mike Sando, and in a column published Wednesday, it was a brutal assessment.

“Kraft mentions the (state income) taxes, the quarterback, the player’s girlfriend and then he mentioned the money,” an exec told Sando. “The reality is, if the dollar net taxes was higher in New England than in Tennessee, they would have gotten the player. It’s like Kraft can’t live in a world where he is looked at as the problem.”

Blame on the state of facilities was placed on ownership, and after Kraft mentioned he had not heard of the complaints stated in the NFL Players Association report card, he revealed there would be plans to amend those concerns. However, the state of the roster confused an NFL executive heading into the 2024 NFL Draft.

“The head coach came out early in the offseason and said, ‘We have a lot of money to spend, and we are going to spend it,’” another exec told Sando. “Then he had to walk the comment back. Then they lose out on the receiver after their GM says they have no speed on offense. So you have the two highest appointed people in the organization saying they are going to spend and they are going to prioritize speed, and then they do neither. What the hell?”

There might be a group of Patriots fans asking the same question since New England hasn’t done much to be better than it was last season. Those sentiments could change depending on what happens in the 2024 NFL Draft, but it’s clear there isn’t much confidence in Kraft and Mayo following free agency.

I read that earlier this morning. Of course they are all anonymous execs? What an easy article to write. All based on statements and warped and twisted into their narrative.

I get it, I wasn’t all too pleased with free agency but they did take care of most of the players they wanted to keep and added a few low key additions that can contribute.

They have the draft coming up, ota’s after that and then June 1st cuts. Nobody is in a better position to benefit from that than the Patriots. There will be no I’m choosing my location, player is out of a job and other teams are out of money and scrambling to find money to pay their draftees.

Nothing wrong with focusing on the positives. Better well being, healthier life.

we're headed for a late 80s/early 90s period with this team....book it
So we about ten years away from the good times? Hold on to your hats gentleman!!! We in for a bumpy ride …

The Patriots had a lackluster free agency, and while leadership seemed content with how the offseason played out, those outside of One Patriot Place don’t quite see it the same way.

New England came into this offseason as one of the teams with the most cap space. However, head coach Jerod Mayo quickly walked back his “burn some cash” line from his introductory news conference, and the Tennessee Titans beat out the Patriots for Calvin Ridley.

Owner Robert Kraft told reporters at the annual NFL meetings that New England had a competitive offer for the wide receiver, and he made an audacious claim that Ridley’s “girlfriend” wanted to stay in the South.

The biggest moves the Patriots made involved internal free agents from a team that finished 4-13 last season. Kraft and Mayo maintain optimism for the team, but for a contingent of fans, patience is growing thin.

NFL executives gave their unfiltered thoughts on every team following free agency to The Athletic’s Mike Sando, and in a column published Wednesday, it was a brutal assessment.

“Kraft mentions the (state income) taxes, the quarterback, the player’s girlfriend and then he mentioned the money,” an exec told Sando. “The reality is, if the dollar net taxes was higher in New England than in Tennessee, they would have gotten the player. It’s like Kraft can’t live in a world where he is looked at as the problem.”

Blame on the state of facilities was placed on ownership, and after Kraft mentioned he had not heard of the complaints stated in the NFL Players Association report card, he revealed there would be plans to amend those concerns. However, the state of the roster confused an NFL executive heading into the 2024 NFL Draft.

“The head coach came out early in the offseason and said, ‘We have a lot of money to spend, and we are going to spend it,’” another exec told Sando. “Then he had to walk the comment back. Then they lose out on the receiver after their GM says they have no speed on offense. So you have the two highest appointed people in the organization saying they are going to spend and they are going to prioritize speed, and then they do neither. What the hell?”

There might be a group of Patriots fans asking the same question since New England hasn’t done much to be better than it was last season. Those sentiments could change depending on what happens in the 2024 NFL Draft, but it’s clear there isn’t much confidence in Kraft and Mayo following free agency.
Funny I was repeatedly told that money wasn’t going to bring Ridley here regardless. Guess these execs agree: it’s always about the money. Not that I wanted Ridley at the price but it’s a commentary on FA as a whole. If you pay the guy more than the rest you’ll get him, 4-13 or not.

It’s little more than convenient excuses for Robert which are parroted here and elsewhere.

More opportunity for the negative nancies to *****.
Bored Bugs Bunny GIF by MOODMAN

Funny I was repeatedly told that money wasn’t going to bring Ridley here regardless. Guess these execs agree: it’s always about the money. Not that I wanted Ridley at the price but it’s a commentary on FA as a whole. If you pay the guy more than the rest you’ll get him, 4-13 or not.

It’s little more than convenient excuses for Robert which are parroted here and elsewhere.
The clam chowder has gone downhill in Boston.

Devante Adams and now Calvin Ridley.

Bob Kraft going Jerry Jones style
In my humble belief I agree, somehow The Kraftinator believes he is a part owner of the Lombardi trophy. He’s losing street cred…

Meh, lazy article.

Job 1 was resigning guys (and please don’t start with that “4-13” regarding this - the players in question were not the reason for that).

The Patriots haven’t been doing that for a long time, letting good players walk. Decimates the culture.

They had a ton of cap space AND a ton of free agents.

Don’t spend stupidly to win a few extra games. Ridley was too big a risk at that price - I’m surprised the Pats went as high as they reportedly did.

Patience. Just keep going in the right direction with younger players. Once you get the key pieces in place - the Qb and the system around him - then go Caserio.

Sounds like a few people have been waiting a while to take a shot at Kraft/Patriots.

Reality is we are in the early stages of a multi year rebuild. Let’s see how it plays out.

In my humble belief I agree, somehow The Kraftinator believes he is a part owner of the Lombardi trophy. He’s losing street cred…
Yup kind of sad but ultimately it falls to Jonathan Kraft soon

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back