PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Solder: Either was or wasn't offered similar money to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, a bit of hyperbole on my part. I usually hate when other people do that, so I won't excuse it. Mea culpa.

No prob .... I’m not running blindly in one direction or the other but there certainly appears to be a disturbance in the force down in Foxboro

All things being close I knew the "no days off" chant would cost us eventually. I definitely wouldn't want my boss chanting that.

The difference has to be the guaranteed money here. I' guessing the pats might have offered 12, 12.5 a year, but no where's near the 34m (iirc the guaranteed number i might be off a wee bit) guaranteed. Solder is good but not that good.

So where do the pats go from here? Draft a replacement with 31, package 31 and a 2nd to move up and get an ot? Look for a vet cut after who can fill in for a year until a draftee is ready?

Ot now becomes the most important hole to fill. Looks like this draft will be one for the trenches....

None, they were all overpaid. That's how you stay playoff relevant for 18 years.
Having TB12 & his wealthy super-model wife's supplemental income is how you stay playoff-relevant for 18 years.

Having TB12 & his wealthy super-model wife's supplemental income is how you stay playoff-relevant for 18 years.
What does Tom Brady's wife have to do with it?

I love the notion that Tom approached the Patriots about restructuring his contract every year to stay a step ahead of the salary cap. Not the other way around...

It's a lot like the idea that Tom blocks for himself, tackles and plays special teams as well, it takes a special kind of super fan.

Because he doesn't have to ask for as much money as the other top QBs have done.
He gets paid among the top QB's every year, look at his career earnings in relation to his peers. The Patriots renegotiate his deal to relieve cap pressure, he's not underpaid. That's a myth.

Kind of like the myth that all you need is a magical "franchise" caliber QB to win Super Bowls. Nick Foles and Joe Flacco have the same amount of rings as Aaron Rogers and Drew Brees.

Depth of talent is what wins Super Bowls.

Last edited:
Apparently, for you, $15M in 2018 is top QB money. For you, $15M in 2019 is top QB money. The fact that earlier scary was moved into 2018 and 2019 for cap reasons isn't relevant. Brady is being paid $15M a year.

IMHO, any extension will involve more than adding $30M for 2020 and 2021. I would expect closer to $50M.

He gets paid among the top QB's every year, look at his career earnings in relation to his peers. The Patriots renegotiate his deal to relieve cap pressure, he's not underpaid. That's a myth.

Kind of like the myth that all you need is a magical "franchise" caliber QB to win Super Bowls. Nick Foles and Joe Flacco have the same amount of rings as Aaron Rogers and Drew Brees.

Depth of talent is what wins Super Bowls.

The difference has to be the guaranteed money here. I' guessing the pats might have offered 12, 12.5 a year, but no where's near the 34m (iirc the guaranteed number i might be off a wee bit) guaranteed. Solder is good but not that good.

So where do the pats go from here? Draft a replacement with 31, package 31 and a 2nd to move up and get an ot? Look for a vet cut after who can fill in for a year until a draftee is ready?

Ot now becomes the most important hole to fill. Looks like this draft will be one for the trenches....

Don't sleep on Cole Croston.

Don't sleep on Cole Croston.

I agree. I would note that Croston and Karras are our IOL backups, so, for me, Croston is an almost lock.

The open question is how high to draft an LT. We will clearly need one to at least compete for the starting position in 2019.

I agree. I would note that Croston and Karras are our IOL backups, so, for me, Croston is an almost lock.

The open question is how high to draft an LT. We will clearly need one to at least compete for the starting position in 2019.

That being said, BB is probably going to trade down from the first round and draft an unknnown safety from the University of East Hawaii, with the first of the 2nd pick, and this board will have a meltdown.

Apparently, for you, $15M in 2018 is top QB money. For you, $15M in 2019 is top QB money. The fact that earlier scary was moved into 2018 and 2019 for cap reasons isn't relevant. Brady is being paid $15M a year.

IMHO, any extension will involve more than adding $30M for 2020 and 2021. I would expect closer to $50M.

His cap hit this year is $22 million, I believe, and over 12% of the Pats cap. In any case, the only two players with higher CAREER earnings are the Manning brothers. Brady's approaching 200 million in career earnings.

Yeah, as with every position, the top guy in each successive year tends to get more - QB salaries have exploded in the last two years. Solder makes more than Joe Thomas...

It depends on WHEN you get paid as much as whether you're the best or, say, the fifth best. Gronk signed a long-term deal for security, and was very well compensated when he signed it, but it looks cheap now.

What 50-yard-line said above, go look at career earnings. He's never been underpaid.

His cap hit this year is $22 million, I believe, and over 12% of the Pats cap. In any case, the only two players with higher CAREER earnings are the Manning brothers. Brady's approaching 200 million in career earnings.

Yeah, as with every position, the top guy in each successive year tends to get more - QB salaries have exploded in the last two years. Solder makes more than Joe Thomas...

It depends on WHEN you get paid as much as whether you're the best or, say, the fifth best. Gronk signed a long-term deal for security, and was very well compensated when he signed it, but it looks cheap now.

Consider taking $14M of Brady's salary and converting it to a bonus, with no change in compensation or contract length. The caps would move from $22M, $22M to $18.5M and $25.5M. For you and others, this somehow changes Brady's compensation. It would not.

When 2019 rolled around, we would NOT suddenly looking at a QB being paid $25.5M and close to market (well about equal to Brees money). We would still be looking at a QB earning $15M for his 2019 services.

What 50-yard-line said above, go look at career earnings. He's never been underpaid.

This is 2018 and 2019.

Brady is scheduled to be paid $30/2 years.

If everyone thinks that this is fine, then fine. Let's enjoy the last 2 years of Brady at $15M a year. If we expect an extension, now or in 2019, expect Brady to add market value money for 2020 and 2021 services.

BTW, as I have pointed out before, this could be done with a reduction in the 2018 cap and no effect on the 2019 cap.

If everyone thinks that this is fine, then fine. Let's enjoy the last 2 years of Brady at $15M a year. If we expect an extension, now or in 2019, expect Brady to add market value money for 2020 and 2021 services.

I'm a little curious about this statement. Brady has never been one to demand top dollar (frequently, well below top dollar or even market value for his skill level). I don't believe he has commonly demanded market value for his contracts over the course of his career. Why would you believe at age 43 and 44 he is suddenly going to push for that?

If you believe he is just a bad negotiator, then that might explain the past deals. If you believe he has been foregoing top dollar to secure the best possible players around him, then why would he back off on that approach when he presumably most needs those players? And why stop at a few million more rather than the top of the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes